E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 life - overboost, lean

01-26-2019, 02:12 AM   #1
ore0fllamp
Rep
Drives: e90

N54 life - overboost, lean

My parts guy recently welcomed me to the N54 life with a smile

Recently bought a e93 2008 335i 6MT; no mods yet

Needed some work, so I didn't drive it just towed it home. Previous owner doesn't know to much about the car (not a car person).

Anyways, I went off and started doing work off the hop just to get it up to date on some basic stuff. Changed the VCG and OFHGs, spark plugs with OEM Bosch, Flushed coolant, changed oil and filter, WALNUT blasted, plus other parts unrelated in the motor. All went good started driving the car next day.

Turbos have 65k miles on them (before someone asks lol)

Day 1; anything over 4K RPM WOT resulted in "Reduced power" warning
Overboost 30FE bank 1
System lean 29E0 bank 1
3100 "disable boost"
Turn car off and back on and its fine again until WOT over 4k RPM

Ended up changing all the vacuum lines on the car (the ones that go to the turbo actuators are a PITA) as it was cheap and probably needed to be done since they were all original anyways.

NO change same results with the 4K+ WOT. So I decided to go in with INPA and reset all of the adaptions the car had. All of them, even had to go through write down all the #s from the injectors and re code those as well.
Bank 2 is filled with 3x index 9 injectors and Bank 1 is filled with 3x index 6.

So I did all that and then started the car, now I have a misfire on Cyl 1, swapped coils around tried another spark plugs etc no changes all coils plugs are fine, cyl 1 misfire remains. So for fun I unplug and replug the cyl 1 injector doesn't seem to do anything.

So anyways I feel pretty silly because I wasn't having any misfire before I decided to go adaptation clear crazy, but the overboost and lean bank 1 are still a mystery. I'm trying to get everything on the car operating correctly so I can buy down pipes, intake, and charge pipe and have the car tuned.

So I guess my question is, could a bad injector stop working all together out of the blue like that and cause the misfire? Is the lean on bank 1 possibly related to that injector going bad? And how does the over boost fit into all this?

Thanks in advance N54 comrades
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Your injector was probably bad before if you were getting lean codes. Resetting adaptations reset the learned adjustments the DME made to try to get bank 1 back to stoich.

Your overboosting could be many different issues, like a sticking wastegate or boost control solenoid.
      01-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #3
ore0fllamp
Rep
Drives: e90

Update;

So the water pump was cracked slightly and trickling coolant so I ripped that out along with the thermostat. Since it was all out I was able to get my hand on the waste gate shaft on the front turbo. Felt same as the rear one, the V-band clamp was clear and not interfering. I'm going to assume waste gates aren't part of the over boost issue. I ordered the bank 1 boost solenoid, even though it seems both are T'd to work together either way. I don't see why they have 2 unless they need 2 lines to create enough vacuum to operate the waste gates, seems odd.

Anyways this morning before I took out the water pump I had started the car and the misfire was gone, went for a 5 minute drive, turned the car off at the store, turned it back on 5 minutes later misfire was back lol. I went ahead and ordered 3x index 12 injectors to replace all of bank 1. Hopefully this will rid me of the lean bank 1 code, cure the misfire and keep the warm idle smooth.

Will post again once new boost solenoid, water pump/thermostat, and injectors are installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:09 PM   #4
Nick4724
Rep
Drives: E93 335i n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ore0fllamp View Post
Update;

So the water pump was cracked slightly and trickling coolant so I ripped that out along with the thermostat. Since it was all out I was able to get my hand on the waste gate shaft on the front turbo. Felt same as the rear one, the V-band clamp was clear and not interfering. I'm going to assume waste gates aren't part of the over boost issue. I ordered the bank 1 boost solenoid, even though it seems both are T'd to work together either way. I don't see why they have 2 unless they need 2 lines to create enough vacuum to operate the waste gates, seems odd.

Anyways this morning before I took out the water pump I had started the car and the misfire was gone, went for a 5 minute drive, turned the car off at the store, turned it back on 5 minutes later misfire was back lol. I went ahead and ordered 3x index 12 injectors to replace all of bank 1. Hopefully this will rid me of the lean bank 1 code, cure the misfire and keep the warm idle smooth.

Will post again once new boost solenoid, water pump/thermostat, and injectors are installed.
Sorted the issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
Zelderlee
Rep
Drives: 2010 Bmw 335Xi

So whats new

did that boost solenoid fix the overboost and as for the lean on bank 1
Appreciate 0