E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?

05-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #89
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Ok. Your point? I'm not an EV fan at all. On a normal week around me, I see ICE cars getting towed and on the side of the highways all the time. Everything breaks.
Yeah but.... but.... when an EV breaks down puppies die!!!!

I had to have my model 3 towed once. Blew a tire in the Walmart parking lot, was raining and didn't see the giant pothole. No spare tire (sound familiar) and my air pump and tire goop weren't going to help.

Had it towed to the house, scheduled mobile service on the app and the next day mobile tesla service came to my house and installed a new tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #90
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

There should be an FAQ on all car forums about EV's

- First thing that could eliminate 90% of noise about EV's is if you can't charge the car at home or where you live it's probably a bad idea. Start there, almost a hard stop. The massive advantage over gas cars is I have a full charge everyday for 5 seconds of my time (plugging it in at night)

- If you live in the cold or far North and drive a lot it's probably a bad idea. For example, I have driven home from Albany NY to North Jersey where I live and went from 68% charge to 5%, it was 140 miles straight and it was very cold that night, 5 degrees outside. Cold Weather absolutely crushes the Lithium Ion battery. I barely made it. I almost had to stop, and I could have but its way inconvenient in this scenario.

- Any commercial or large vehicle application (towing/landscape/work truck/trailer/3rd row SUV) etc is also a horrible idea or not possible with an EV. Another very hard to argue point

- After owning a Model Y for 9 months gas cars feel extremely slow and clunky. Funny to hear people call EV's golf carts. I would call whatever you are driving as your daily, a true golf cart, literally. EV's are insanely quick and responsive. It is way more of a spaceship than a "golf cart", because that is a horrible analogy.

If you're criteria doesnt match the above cons, an EV feels superior in every way. I thought I would miss the feel and engagement of a gas car myself, but after owning this Tesla for 9 months dealing with a slow noisy ICE car is truly annoying. Most cars are extremely slow and loud in comparison, I hope people appreciate how responsive and QUIET and torquey an EV is. Under appreciated point here how peaceful having dead silence is or not having an engine/transmission thrashing around going nowhere. Most sporty ICE cars in comparison are very slow and would get destroyed by a base level Model Y (380 HP). There is less engagement but what you gain is massive instant power that does not get old.

Nothing is perfect but it is clearly the future for most people. Gas cars will be around until we are old and gray because certain applications gas/diesel will always be a better tool for the job...
Appreciate 5
      05-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #91
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
There should be an FAQ on all car forums about EV's

- First thing that could eliminate 90% of noise about EV's is if you can't charge the car at home or where you live it's probably a bad idea. Start there, almost a hard stop. The massive advantage over gas cars is I have a full charge everyday for 5 seconds of my time (plugging it in at night)

- If you live in the cold or far North and drive a lot it's probably a bad idea. For example, I have driven home from Albany NY to North Jersey where I live and went from 68% charge to 5%, it was 140 miles straight and it was very cold that night, 5 degrees outside. Cold Weather absolutely crushes the Lithium Ion battery. I barely made it. I almost had to stop, and I could have but its way inconvenient in this scenario.

- Any commercial or large vehicle application (towing/landscape/work truck/trailer/3rd row SUV) etc is also a horrible idea or not possible with an EV. Another very hard to argue point

- After owning a Model Y for 9 months gas cars feel extremely slow and clunky. Funny to hear people call EV's golf carts. I would call whatever you are driving as your daily, a true golf cart, literally. EV's are insanely quick and responsive. It is way more of a spaceship than a "golf cart", because that is a horrible analogy.

If you're criteria doesnt match the above cons, an EV feels superior in every way. I thought I would miss the feel and engagement of a gas car myself, but after owning this Tesla for 9 months dealing with a slow noisy ICE car is truly annoying. Most cars are extremely slow and loud in comparison, I hope people appreciate how responsive and QUIET and torquey an EV is. Under appreciated point here how peaceful having dead silence is or not having an engine/transmission thrashing around going nowhere. Most sporty ICE cars in comparison are very slow and would get destroyed by a base level Model Y (380 HP). There is less engagement but what you gain is massive instant power that does not get old.

Nothing is perfect but it is clearly the future for most people. Gas cars will be around until we are old and gray because certain applications gas/diesel will always be a better tool for the job...
Great post and spot on.

Now that I've had a taste I don't think I could go back. When I drive the m40 after daily driving the MME-GT, it feels so...dated.

The handling, the transmission shifting, the inconsistent power delivery in the powerband....it's just lacking the fun factor in comparison. The instant torque of the EV is SO satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #92
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

anyone here have experience with an e-golf ? thinking about getting one for a beater but curious as to real world range in it. my commute is 70 miles/day

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      05-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #93
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
anyone here have experience with an e-golf ? thinking about getting one for a beater but curious as to real world range in it. my commute is 70 miles/day
Jason Cammisa liked them, i think...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #94
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Ok. Your point? I'm not an EV fan at all. On a normal week around me, I see ICE cars getting towed and on the side of the highways all the time. Everything breaks.
It's just that it's so unusual seing one of these broken down hence the lol
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2022, 03:52 PM   #95
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Quote:
It's just that it's so unusual seing one of these broken down hence the lol
Gotcha. I personally have not seen one yet. Now I will be looking:-)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #96
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Now that I have transitioned to working from home, I don't feel the need for an EV. I've said goodbye to my i3, which pretty much sat in the garage for the past 2 years.

Having said that, when I was commuting 80 miles a day, having my own level 2 charger at home and other cars for travel and fun, yes, the EV fit my situation very well and I loved having one. I reduced overall commuting expenses by $250/mo and we are currently in the permits process for solar panels, so the savings potential would be even greater if I was still commuting.

If I ever return to commuting, knocking on wood that I don't, I would certainly get another EV. Range wouldn't even be an issue. So long as it gets 120ish miles to the charge I'll make it to work and home and errands in between.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
Cos270608.50
      05-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #97
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Now that I have transitioned to working from home, I don't feel the need for an EV. I've said goodbye to my i3, which pretty much sat in the garage for the past 2 years.

Having said that, when I was commuting 80 miles a day, having my own level 2 charger at home and other cars for travel and fun, yes, the EV fit my situation very well and I loved having one. I reduced overall commuting expenses by $250/mo and we are currently in the permits process for solar panels, so the savings potential would be even greater if I was still commuting.

If I ever return to commuting, knocking on wood that I don't, I would certainly get another EV. Range wouldn't even be an issue. So long as it gets 120ish miles to the charge I'll make it to work and home and errands in between.
Very similar position for me.

I work at home now. I moved into the middle of a city (San Francisco) and no longer need a car to do everyday tasks. Walking and public transit are very convenient. Gas prices and EV charging have no effect on me. I only drive for fun and occasional errands.

I tell everyone that despite driving a gas guzzling German V8, I have a smaller carbon footprint than anyone commuting in an EV.
jmg18493.00
      05-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #98
MuchenTuchen
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

Maybe I‘m looking at this at a totally different angle than you guys, but after really considering an electric vehicle, I started to think about the electric magnetic fields, which are usually stronger in electric vehicles, than in ICE cars. Have you ever thought about this? What is your stance here?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #99
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchenTuchen View Post
Maybe I‘m looking at this at a totally different angle than you guys, but after really considering an electric vehicle, I started to think about the electric magnetic fields, which are usually stronger in electric vehicles, than in ICE cars. Have you ever thought about this? What is your stance here?
What stance is there to have? Is there some metric that quantifies a difference and/or whether or not a magnetic field has some impact on....anything?

We use really...really strong magnets in MRI's and it has no detrimental effects on a person.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:54 PM   #100
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
What stance is there to have? Is there some metric that quantifies a difference and/or whether or not a magnetic field has some impact on....anything?

We use really...really strong magnets in MRI's and it has no detrimental effects on a person.
That's a very human perspective though. I'm sure as a spam bot MuchenTuchen is very concerned the magnetic fields could scramble it's internal circuitry... or something.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:31 PM   #101
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
They will create a force field that stops the chemtrails.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      05-05-2022, 11:41 PM   #102
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

My Dad told me this last week that it takes 87 hours to charge an EV. He watches the "constantly scare you and make outraged" news-channels where he comes up with this stuff. The time before when I was there, he asked me "what do you do if you run out of battery?", like somehow you don't fill up ICE cars with gas. Mind you, I don't know of any trip they've taken in the last few years outside the range of a decent EV, so how it's a problem for EVs and not him doesn't make sense. He's just scared and repeating lines he sees on TV and on the internet. Not that I think he should get an EV, he has a perfectly fine ICE car, it's just how he flat out refuses to understand that these can and do work perfectly for some people and they are not just a one-off or glorified golf cart anymore. How it was science fiction years ago and now it's reality. There are guys that drive out to the track in their Teslas, race with us, and drive back home.
      05-06-2022, 01:56 AM   #103
MuchenTuchen
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

I just want to make clear that I‘m not a spam bot :-). Yes I‘m new to the forum and made some comments on different topics, but I‘m honestly interested in this topic.
I‘m not opposed to EVs, quite the opposite I really like driving them, but the EMF topic is of some concern to me. There are a few studies, which suggest, that longer EMF exposure could increase risk of cancer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 06:30 AM   #104
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I just want to make clear that I‘m not a spam bot :-). Yes I‘m new to the forum and made some comments on different topics, but I‘m honestly interested in this topic.
I‘m not opposed to EVs, quite the opposite I really like driving them, but the EMF topic is of some concern to me. There are a few studies, which suggest, that longer EMF exposure could increase risk of cancer.
Not something that occurred to me and you'd think if it was a thing you'd hear about it from the groups that support O&G industry. Having said that I recall years ago the fears that cell phones would give you a brain tumour. There are real concerns expressed by people who live close to wind turbines and hydro corridors and stations, so why not raise the issue of EV's?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 06:40 AM   #105
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
My Dad told me this last week that it takes 87 hours to charge an EV. He watches the "constantly scare you and make outraged" news-channels where he comes up with this stuff. The time before when I was there, he asked me "what do you do if you run out of battery?", like somehow you don't fill up ICE cars with gas. Mind you, I don't know of any trip they've taken in the last few years outside the range of a decent EV, so how it's a problem for EVs and not him doesn't make sense. He's just scared and repeating lines he sees on TV and on the internet. Not that I think he should get an EV, he has a perfectly fine ICE car, it's just how he flat out refuses to understand that these can and do work perfectly for some people and they are not just a one-off or glorified golf cart anymore. How it was science fiction years ago and now it's reality. There are guys that drive out to the track in their Teslas, race with us, and drive back home.
Lots of folks get things wrong when it comes to EV's, and frankly just about any other topic that seems to be front and centre now. I assume your father is likely my age or older, some folks look at new tech and don't get it. My mother didn't own a cell phone, nor home computer, she just see the need and it didn't make sense to her. You might find yourself questioning some of the new stuff as you get older.

I'm not a fan of EV's, I have no issue with people buying them if they suit their needs, I'm not a fan of having a tech that won't work for me thrust upon me by government. I'm not a fan of autonomous cars, there was a thread on here a few years ago and it got quite heated on occasion. Some of the enthusiasts felt we'd all be in a fully autonomous car within 5 years, clearly we are still a long way off, and I for one don't see them becoming fully mainstream in my lifetime, as I don't see EV's saturating the market while I'm still young enough to drive.
Appreciate 3
kyriian872.00
Cos270608.50
eugenebmw1345.50
      05-06-2022, 07:40 AM   #106
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I'll gladly own an EV as long as I can keep an ICE car on the side (for reasons mentioned above by neilum). But do we know the durability of these batteries? Like in 4-5 years or once we reach 100k miles will they still perform adequately? And how much would it cost to replace these batteries if we needed to? If it's a significant amount that could have a negative impact on EV resale values and maintenance.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58884.00
      05-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #107
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I'll gladly own an EV as long as I can keep an ICE car on the side (for reasons mentioned above by neilum). But do we know the durability of these batteries? Like in 4-5 years or once we reach 100k miles will they still perform adequately? And how much would it cost to replace these batteries if we needed to? If it's a significant amount that could have a negative impact on EV resale values and maintenance.
Not sure about another brand, but the following is for a 1st gen 2013 Nissan Leaf in Canada, in 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/gopublic/nis...tery-1.5769998

Coles notes: Very expensive
Granted, Teslas seems far more immune to these issues mostly down to cooling. Many high miler Teslas seems to retain most of its charge even into the 100k arena. Battery tech in cars is only improving so the issues facing these first generation EVs may not be relevant any longer. But again begs the question, will most of the older EVs with now out dated tech just be abandoned to languish in a u-pic yard

I will return to the track, one day.

Last edited by kyriian; 05-06-2022 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #108
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm going to preface my comments that I was (really my father) was an early adoptor of the electric garden tractor in 1972. You can Google on "GE Electrak" to save me the time describing it. But in short, the machine was 50 years ahead of its time and no manufacturer has yet come to market with an equivalent. So I'm quite familiar with EV. On the automotive side, I've driven the Chevy Bolt, Chevy Volt, and have passenger time in both the Model 3 and Model Y. And I actually own an Electric golfcart, Clubcar.

So neat, some EVs are fast. 3.2 seconds to 60 MPH. Big deal, in real world operational terms what does that get you? Regular Model 3, the one for $40K, it's a 5 second car, okay still faster than most ICE, but it's mostly gearing on the ICE side; engineers see mid 5-seconds to mid 6-seconds cars as good enough for street use. I see these claims to EV 0 - 60 times akin to the Japanese sportbike market of the late 1980's thru mid 1990's. I had one of those sportbikes, yup it was fun to launch it every once in awhile, but it gets old in short order, because no one else is as fast and really no one else cares.

The Model 3 at cruising speed is louder than my well worn 2006 E90. The Model Y is about the same. The Model 3 chassis lacks good isolation engineering. Yup, sure is neat to get pushed back in the seat in near silence, at the flat torque curve saves the need to shift gears, but again it gets old. Race a few cars a few times off a light and you beat them every time, WOW! Then what do you do next? And it took a lot of skill... mash the pedal and let the computer lay down the torque. Try it on a sport bike, THAT takes skill, and keeps it interesting because attaining that speed takes skill, experience, and effort. That's why drag racing ICE is fun, because it's a personal challenge everytime.

While you like the fact you can charge at home in 5 seconds (not really), ICE people don't need to charge at home because they can recharge 400 miles of range in 5 minutes, practically anywhere any time they want. You can make all the arguments against the gas station all you want, but people simply find it convenient. Waiting for 20 minutes to recover 120 miles of range they see as inconvenient.
Well said.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1345.50
      05-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #109
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I hope people appreciate how responsive and QUIET and torquey an EV is. Under appreciated point here how peaceful having dead silence is or not having an engine/transmission thrashing around going nowhere. Most sporty ICE cars in comparison are very slow and would get destroyed by a base level Model Y (380 HP). There is less engagement but what you gain is massive instant power that does not get old.

Being devils advocate here. Ask a blind person if they think a quiet car is a good idea. There’s a gentleman few miles from us I saw walking through a cross walk into a Tesla hitting it with his stick as he walked. Tesla was into the cross walk stopped at a red light so clearly not where it should be.
My uncle had a sticker on his helmet “loud pipes save lives” after a car hit him while he was stopped in a turn lane on a red light. There’s sometimes nothing that will help someone not paying attention but if the blind man could hear the car think it would’ve been different?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #110
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

For those that do own EVs on this thread and charge from home, I’ve wondered what’s the comparison on the home electric bill of pre ev to owning one? Just one thing that I’ve always wondered.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick58884.00
Cos270608.50