E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 06 325i won't start after oil change

06-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Da Doc
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 320i

Exclamation 06 325i won't start after oil change

Honestly i feel like because i am used to changing my oil several times without any problem. The red oil light came on and the ride shut off. This occurred right in my drive way so i changed the oil shortly after but the ride refuses to start. I ll rather prefer to DIY the suggested solutions before taking it to the dealership on monday. Please help me evaluate and treat this issue. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

don't have my service manual in front of me but is it possible it might have something to do with the oil pressure switch?
      06-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Could you be a bit more specific on what happened. What "red oil light" came on? When you changed the oil, how much came out; was it near the 7 quarts that is supposed to be in the engine? Have you been checking the oil level regularly? Is the oil level sensor working? Now when you say "won't start" does that mean the engine rotates when the start button is pressed but the cylinders do not fire, or does it mean the starter is not rotating the engine at all? Really dumb question is, are you sure you have the clutch depresses (manual trans) or the brake pedal pressed (automatic trans) when you are starting it?

Kfrazie1 may be correct, the oil (pressure) switch may be bad. Try jumping the terminals and see if the motor will fire. Or it could be the brake boost system, early on, cars with automatics were having problems with the brake pedal being really hard and not allowing the safety-start switch to activate and allow the engine to start.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Do not start the car ! Push start button until dash lights are on...AGAIN DO NOT START car, wait for all the chimes to go away..using your BC stalk scroll up till you see oil, and check it..It will give you a static level, to verify that their is actual engine oil in the oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Da Doc
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Could you be a bit more specific on what happened. What "red oil light" came on? When you changed the oil, how much came out; was it near the 7 quarts that is supposed to be in the engine? Have you been checking the oil level regularly? Is the oil level sensor working? Now when you say "won't start" does that mean the engine rotates when the start button is pressed but the cylinders do not fire, or does it mean the starter is not rotating the engine at all? Really dumb question is, are you sure you have the clutch depresses (manual trans) or the brake pedal pressed (automatic trans) when you are starting it?

Kfrazie1 may be correct, the oil (pressure) switch may be bad. Try jumping the terminals and see if the motor will fire. Or it could be the brake boost system, early on, cars with automatics were having problems with the brake pedal being really hard and not allowing the safety-start switch to activate and allow the engine to start.
I normally change the oil every 9000 miles. The plan was to change the oil yesterday and i did it as planned. But the red oil light came on the dash came on as soon as my wife parked the ride in the garage. She claim as soon as the light came on the ride shut off. I changed the oil and always add 7quarts. Yes the engine tries to rotate but does get the final click aka the cylinders don't fire (hope you get what i mean)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Doc View Post
I normally change the oil every 9000 miles. The plan was to change the oil yesterday and i did it as planned. But the red oil light came on the dash came on as soon as my wife parked the ride in the garage. She claim as soon as the light came on the ride shut off. I changed the oil and always add 7quarts. Yes the engine tries to rotate but does get the final click aka the cylinders don't fire (hope you get what i mean)
Well then it sounds like to me the engine shut off first on your wife and the oil pressure light came on, which it should if the car thinks the engine should be running.
Appreciate 0