E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dead radio in e92, please help

06-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
e92sav
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

Dead radio in e92, please help

Hey everyone,
This is a new one to me, let me give all the information I can:

Left my 2007 335i coupe parked for 9 days while I was on vacation. Returned to vehicle and drove 2.5 hours home in the middle of the night. Outside temperature maybe 75 degrees, iphone charging, music volume louder than usual and listening to satellite radio. As I am almost to my house, the music stopped and I assumed it was tree cover and the satellite was searching. The stereo display flashed on and off quickly and then left a "HI TEMP" warning illuminated. Then, the SOS phone malfunction icon flashed on the gauge cluster. I arrive home, turn off the engine and car and call it a night. The stereo display remains illuminated with the "HI TEMP" warning even after the car is turned off and locked. I drive for another day and I can't access the phone or stereo. I can access menus on the stereo display for other functions like the mileage computer, etc but all stereo and phone functions are missing. The SOS phone malfunction remains on the dash cluster and the "HI TEMP" warning remains on the stereo display.

What I've done so far:

* Looked up car VIN to find stereo, last 7 of VIN: P022320. Logic 7 system is not listed on VIN readout but I do have a center speaker on the dash.

* Checked fuses for phone and radio in glovebox fuse box. Upon pulling fuse 31 (for radio) the stereo display finally turned off. After replacing fuse, I can't get the stereo to turn back on at all. Completely blacked out.

* Looked in trunk for water leak around amp, I don't see any moisture currently but I don't know if there was some rain leaking while I was out of town. The amp itself appears dry.

* Pressed the SOS button overhead to no effect.

* Interior warning chimes and bells work (like seatbelt warning, etc.)

So, as it stands the stereo doesn't seem responsive. When I get home from work I was thinking about disconnecting the negative battery cable for an hour and see what happens after reconnecting. Any ideas? Thanks for any help, I'd love to have music again.

-Chris

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Radio is toast

If you find a used one read this.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=radio

There are some places that might be able to repair it.

Repair
http://www.bmwradiorepair.com/?gclid...FccbQgodIEn0Cg
http://beckerautosound.com/
http://www.bmwgm5.com/Logic7_6941681.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
e92sav
Rep

Thank you for the links, very helpful. Any idea whether or not this is the head unit or the amp?

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

No but when the guy in the thread reported.

No but when the guy in the thread reported.
it was the Head Unit.
Did you check the amp area for water as this is common
cause of amp failure.
You need to be able to power the Head Unit up, out of the car to cross check it
or at least that is what I would try to do as a first pass.
You might give becker auto sound a call.

Last edited by ctuna; 06-17-2015 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
e92sav
Rep

Checked the amp area for water again, couldn't see any moisture. Rechecked fuses for radio and phone but all seemed fine. I'm going to try to remove the head unit tomorrow night and check the actual fuse on the back of the head unit.

Also, disconnected the battery for an hour and reconnected but that had no effect.

Any idea which part of the system would give that intial "HI TEMP" warning? Is that the amp overheating or the radio head unit?

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you have a Hi Fi system its got to be the Head unit

If you have a Hi Fi system its got to be the Head unit
because there are no digital connections to the Hi Fi amp
where it could send that kind of info . It you have L7 not so
sure though usually with a L7 amp they get crackling then nothing.

If you have L7 maybe you could disconnect it and see what the Head Unit says.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
e92sav
Rep

Final update everyone, sorry for the delay in getting this fixed I just have been busy. I was just driving with no radio or driving my Jeep until I could find time to investigate further. 2 weeks ago, I went to start my car and it was completely dead. Tried to jump start the car to no avail. Had to have the car towed to the dealer which sucked. After diagnosing it was determined that the radio was dead and causing a parasitic draw that killed the battery. Dealer wanted to replace radio and battery until I pointed out that the battery was less than a year old and had been installed at this dealer. That part got covered, radio replaced, etc. Not an inexpensive fix but everything is back in action and working well now. Thanks to everyone for offering help.

-Chris
Appreciate 0