E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

02-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #639
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Now we need to find a way to load the suckers as the ISTA/P way does not work in non-factory CIC cars.
Theoretically it could work if the build date code was changed because then (theoretically) ISTA/P would see the navi option code in the VO and look for a CIC and not a CCC (cause that is what would have been installed in that build date). I think Patrys is working on this based on what I have seen. Unfortunately there's more to it than that (an issue with the FRM for one)
      02-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #640
gerritg
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5 Diesel

Hi,

What is FSC?

I have now CIC Monitor, CIC Unit and CIC Controller all for just €650.
I will get it from a damages E90 LCI Germany version.

I am really not sure if I should go ahead and do this. I really have my doubt...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #641
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerritg View Post
Hi,

What is FSC?

I have now CIC Monitor, CIC Unit and CIC Controller all for just €650.
I will get it from a damages E90 LCI Germany version.

I am really not sure if I should go ahead and do this. I really have my doubt...
FSC is the reason why you should not spend 650 Euro.
      02-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #642
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Has anyone determined that adding "6VA" to the vehicle order is correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #643
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Has anyone determined that adding "6VA" to the vehicle order is correct?

Yes, it is. The question is - how would you like to activate your navigation ?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #644
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
anything? anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #645
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
anything? anyone?
Try to talk to the BMW Factory rep of your area... that's what I'm trying to do thru my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #646
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

CIC Update

Hi
Sorry for the quite spell, apart from the project getting pushed to the back as customers cars have had been pushed to the front.

Next week we plan to look at the software again, as the most recent BMW update files should be available.

Will keep you posted.

Quote:
For sure it will be Cartronics GB... Autologic is working directly with him and his used CIC in the UK since last week.

That will tell us what can be done to an used CIC for both coding and FSC to those without advanced tools...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #647
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

CIC USB Retrofit LEAD available

After looking at the BMW parts list we could not find a workaround for the USB lead. In the meantime we have manufactured a handful of leads, works great and a perfect clone (same spec).

Quote:
I don't think so...this new guy has special beige plastic weird connectors on each end...and it goes directly from the CIC to USB port.... (unless it looks the same?!?) see this picture..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #648
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
FSC is the reason why you should not spend 650 Euro.
In Germany he should be fine. You can get the FSC codes, you will need to read the vin from the cic though for them to generate the code.

Also, I think you have to change the cars built date so it thinks you have CIC, otherwise it won't talk to it, and I can't see BMW doing this for you, you need to find someone who has he coding facilities to do this.
I don't even know if you can use OPPS for doing this, if you can probably best to buy one for €500 do all the coding yourself and then sell it on again.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #649
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronics GB View Post
After looking at the BMW parts list we could not find a workaround for the USB lead. In the meantime we have manufactured a handful of leads, works great and a perfect clone (same spec).

What about the circuit inline in that cable? That must be there for a good reason...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #650
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I don't even know if you can use OPPS for doing this, if you can probably best to buy one for €500 do all the coding yourself and then sell it on again.
I believe you need ISTA/P for activating CIC. ISTA/P works only with ICOM.
      02-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #651
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about the circuit inline in that cable? That must be there for a good reason...
Technic - I've looked at that "circuit" (only through pictures tho..) - it just looks like a noise suppression choke to me..?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #652
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Technic - I've looked at that "circuit" (only through pictures tho..) - it just looks like a noise suppression choke to me..?
I never opened mine to inspect.

I may get the P/N or repair P/N of that cable soon; I really do not like the idea of the straight USB cable without whatever that circuit is. It may work without it in the short run but we do not know anything about the long run, especially considering that that's where the FSC codes can be loaded.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #653
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I never opened mine to inspect.

I may get the P/N or repair P/N of that cable soon; I really do not like the idea of the straight USB cable without whatever that circuit is. It may work without it in the short run but we do not know anything about the long run, especially considering that that's where the FSC codes can be loaded.
I highly doubt that's where FSC can be loaded.... The FSC must be in the firmware of the CIC, as not having the USB cable connected would take out nav & voice control? With flash memory firmware and a hard drive, I think its a very remote possibility that FSC is loaded on that crappy little cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #654
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I highly doubt that's where FSC can be loaded.... The FSC must be in the firmware of the CIC, as not having the USB cable connected would take out nav & voice control? With flash memory firmware and a hard drive, I think its a very remote possibility that FSC is loaded on that crappy little cable.
That's the latest info that I got, and most probably will be finding out this week if that's correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #655
vhdeanda
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 2009

hi from Mexico,
I've been reading this forum following your progress for some time. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute, I am not a pro on car installations more of an enthusiast, so as you can imagine I got lost when talking about all of the programming.
I bought a 2009 335i Coupe with Navigation Pro and all of the accessories bluetooth, USB on Center Console and it comes with the CCC navigation which as you have all stated is awful, so you can imagine I think what you are doing is awesome, and I thank you for your amazing progress.

If I don't need the navigation or the voice control to work right now, will buying the:
Board Monitor with HD CID,
Car Infotainment Computer CIC,
I-Drive Controller CIC,
CIC to CID Cable
new USB wire (which I understand no one has been able to identify an s/n)

will buying all of this and getting the car to my BMW dealer get most of it to work (I am also concerned about what was posted about the sound system not working)??

As I said before I am in Mexico, here things are sometimes easier when negotiating with dealerships. It is just a matter of how much money, so if there is anything I can help you with at my dealership here, I would be more that willing to chip in the the success of this retrofit. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #656
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhdeanda View Post
hi from Mexico,
I've been reading this forum following your progress for some time. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute, I am not a pro on car installations more of an enthusiast, so as you can imagine I got lost when talking about all of the programming.
I bought a 2009 335i Coupe with Navigation Pro and all of the accessories bluetooth, USB on Center Console and it comes with the CCC navigation which as you have all stated is awful, so you can imagine I think what you are doing is awesome, and I thank you for your amazing progress.

If I don't need the navigation or the voice control to work right now, will buying the:
Board Monitor with HD CID,
Car Infotainment Computer CIC,
I-Drive Controller CIC,
CIC to CID Cable
new USB wire (which I understand no one has been able to identify an s/n)

will buying all of this and getting the car to my BMW dealer get most of it to work (I am also concerned about what was posted about the sound system not working)??

As I said before I am in Mexico, here things are sometimes easier when negotiating with dealerships. It is just a matter of how much money, so if there is anything I can help you with at my dealership here, I would be more that willing to chip in the the success of this retrofit. Thanks again
Your dealer will not be able to code that unit to your car, you will need to take your car to an Autologic shop in Mexico for that to happen (you will get that unit to sound in your car if you do so). And that coding will not give you the Navigation System or the Voice Control activations.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #657
vhdeanda
Registered
Rep

Perfect thanks Technic, and do you think there is a possibility to get the FSC codes in Mexico through my dealership (is that really all that's missing for this to work 100%). What should be the normal process to get these after I do the Autologic programming??
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #658
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhdeanda View Post
Perfect thanks Technic, and do you think there is a possibility to get the FSC codes in Mexico through my dealership (is that really all that's missing for this to work 100%). What should be the normal process to get these after I do the Autologic programming??
Just ask your dealer about "Retrofit CIC Navigation FSC Codes HB" and if they can get a set for you. You may have to pay for them. Note: it is not certain that an used CIC will be able to be loaded with new FSC even if you get the codes at the dealer. A new CIC will, for sure.

I have a new CIC, several members have used CIC. We are trying the same thing so sooner or later we will be able to confirm and answer all these issues and questions for sure.

So take that into consideration before attempting to do this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #659
vhdeanda
Registered
Rep

Tischer BMW's Online Store usually have excellent prices and online parts catalog, and they just uploaded the 2010 parts. I found the new CIC screen (65 8 291 93 755 about $1,400) the controller (65829213309 about $195), the CIC (65129199907 about $900). But what I also really want to find too is the cables because the screen and controller can be used, and I'd rather not waste time searching for used cables, the place where I think I can really save money is on finding a used screen.

Does anyone have the s/n for the cables needed, from what I understand I need the CIC to CID and the USB???

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...954526&make1=3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #660
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Pony

Quote:
Your dealer will not be able to code that unit to your car, you will need to take your car to an Autologic shop in Mexico for that to happen (you will get that unit to sound in your car if you do so). And that coding will not give you the Navigation System or the Voice Control activations.
So, we don't need to crack CIC anymore. Anything that you need to activate Navi and voice-control - pay some money for us and give me a car for about less than 1 hour