Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New tires, car seems unstable

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

Unhappy New tires, car seems unstable

Hi,

Sorry if someone has posted a question like this before, but I did a search and I could not find an answer. I have an 08 335i sedan auto. About 2 weeks ago, had new tires installed at my local Costco. The tires are BMW OEM runflats, Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ZP W rated tires. The problem is that when I go about 50-70 mph on the freeway, I get a sensation that the car is "wobbling" left and right. It is sort of a wierd lateral movement sensation. Can anyone help me out with this? What might the problem be?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
By lateral movement, do you mean tramlining? or does it have a vibration?

The wobbling could be from an unbalanced wheel/tire or a lug bolt not being tight.

The weird lateral movement you are describing sounds to be some tramlining issues with the new tire.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      08-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I agree. The first few miles with new tires will always be a little weird. The tires are coated with agents that help them to be removed from a mold so that stuff has to be worn off. Check the lug nuts and make sure they are fine. Drive careful for about 50 miles then it will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
By lateral movement, do you mean tramlining? or does it have a vibration?

The wobbling could be from an unbalanced wheel/tire or a lug bolt not being tight.

The weird lateral movement you are describing sounds to be some tramlining issues with the new tire.

-Charles@VMRWheels
Well, there is no vibration, it is not a feeling of worn rotors or anything like that (although my brakes squeel like crazy when I back up, but that is a different issue). It is more of a feeling or sensation that the car will vear ever so slightly left or right and instantly correct itself. It gives me an uneasy feeling.

So, I took the car back to Costco last night and told them the car was not driving correctly. The guy at Costco proceeded to tell me that they have people coming back complaining of wobbling all the time. Seemed odd to me, but I don't work in the tire business so I have no idea. They took off all four tires and re-balanced them. A couple of the weights were moved quite a bit (you could tell becuase they left the stickers there from the ones they had previously put on). Just driving in the parking lot, the car felt smoother (there was vibration that I just thought was the stiff suspension). Unfortunately, the traffic this morning prevented me from even getting up the 60mph to see if the wobble went away. Hopefully, I can assess the situation on the drive home this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Hopefully the re-balancing will cure the issue. They could have initially balanced the wheels using the improper balancing cone not for a BMW, causing the balancing to be throw off the first time. Let us know how it goes!

-Charles@VMRWheels
      08-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
Well, there is no vibration, it is not a feeling of worn rotors or anything like that (although my brakes squeel like crazy when I back up, but that is a different issue). It is more of a feeling or sensation that the car will vear ever so slightly left or right and instantly correct itself. It gives me an uneasy feeling.
Does this left/right correction seem to relate, in any way, to you letting off or applying the throttle? i.e. similar to torque steer on a FWD car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

dude i swear i have the same problem when i got new tires on my sedan 335i

i went to replace the rear tires with nankang ns-2 and left the oem runfats in front

and the car feels like its floating (in a way) when i hit anout 70-75 mph anything above that its fine though ....i thing it is the tires being unbalanced though .

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
Does this left/right correction seem to relate, in any way, to you letting off or applying the throttle? i.e. similar to torque steer on a FWD car.
Strangely, now that you mention it, it does at times.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update, after re-balancing, the ride is a bit smoother, but there is still a wobble to it. I think I am going to call Costco and even Michelin and complain. Let's see if I can't get a different set of tires becuase it has to be the tires as the car was fine before I had them installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

same thing happened to mine when i got new tyres, check your front tyres for scrubbing on the inner edge i dont know how this works but the problem was one of the rears were out which somehow messed with whe settings on the front a quick adjustment sorted the problem out with immediate effect.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

you are not alone. i have only 2300 miles on the clock and factory michelin ps2 rft's from the factory.

they give that left-right wobble feeling at highway speeds greater than 70mph.. it is not always there but it is annoying.
Appreciate 0