E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stutters and limp mode after remap

06-26-2023, 07:54 AM   #1
Buzzy335i
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Stutters and limp mode after remap

Hi, i got my 335i mapped yesterday by a guy who’s done all my other cars - car feels brilliant now however soon as i get to 6000 revs the car holds back and stutters a bit, then throws up the half engine light and cuts power (limp mode) soon as i turn the car off and back on again full power is restored. I’ve plugged it in with ISTA and it’s returning codes 30FC turbocharger boost pressure too low and 2D25 manipulation prevention (which i’ve gathered from this forum is just to let main dealer know that it’s been tuned.)

I’ve spoken to the person who mapped it and this was his response:
The code you are getting suggest the boost is lower than expected. This would usually indicate a mechanical issue, and the vehicle is not able to read the higher pressure required for the performance tune.

We can pull the file back, however, we would not be able to guarantee this would resolve the issue, as we do not know how much it is underboosting.

Does this sound plausible or does it sound like a faulty map? if plausible - what should I check first? vac lines - boost pipes?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 10:17 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

[QUOTE=Buzzy335i;30252343]Hi, i got my 335i mapped yesterday by a guy who’s done all my other cars - car feels brilliant now however soon as i get to 6000 revs the car holds back and stutters a bit, then throws up the half engine light and cuts power (limp mode) soon as i turn the car off and back on again full power is restored. I’ve plugged it in with ISTA and it’s returning codes 30FC turbocharger boost pressure too low and 2D25 manipulation prevention (which i’ve gathered from this forum is just to let main dealer know that it’s been tuned.)

The code you are getting suggest the boost is lower than expected. This would usually indicate a mechanical issue, and the vehicle is not able to read the higher pressure required for the performance tune.

We can pull the file back, however, we would not be able to guarantee this would resolve the issue, as we do not know how much it is underboosting.

Does this sound plausible or does it sound like a faulty map? if plausible - what should I check first? vac lines - boost pipes?

thanks

What is your peak boost target? If it's over 20psi you will most likely need a 3.5bar map sensor. Your tuner should be aware of this though...
it could also be a boost leak where the turbos can't keep the pressure at target. OR your turbos are getting tired and you are running a too aggressive of a tune for what the turbos are capable of. The Oem ones start to run out of steam around 6k depending on the boost target.
      06-26-2023, 12:10 PM   #3
Buzzy335i
Rep

[QUOTE=Bimmer_Bro;30252777]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy335i View Post
Hi, i got my 335i mapped yesterday by a guy who’s done all my other cars - car feels brilliant now however soon as i get to 6000 revs the car holds back and stutters a bit, then throws up the half engine light and cuts power (limp mode) soon as i turn the car off and back on again full power is restored. I’ve plugged it in with ISTA and it’s returning codes 30FC turbocharger boost pressure too low and 2D25 manipulation prevention (which i’ve gathered from this forum is just to let main dealer know that it’s been tuned.)

thanks

What is your peak boost target? If it's over 20psi you will most likely need a 3.5bar map sensor. Your tuner should be aware of this though...
it could also be a boost leak where the turbos can't keep the pressure at target. OR your turbos are getting tired and you are running a too aggressive of a tune for what the turbos are capable of. The Oem ones start to run out of steam around 6k depending on the boost target.

Thank you for your reply mate, very informative.
I’ve messaged them and asked what the peak boost target is.

Appreciate it mate
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your reply mate, very informative.
I’ve messaged them and asked what the peak boost target is.

Appreciate it mate
No problem.
      06-26-2023, 04:55 PM   #5
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

thanks
Possible boost leak. No logs available?

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n54-30ff-en...-repair-guide/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 05:16 PM   #6
Buzzy335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilver335i View Post
Possible boost leak. No logs available?

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n54-30ff-en...-repair-guide/
I’m not sure how to get a log, however I can tell you it gets to pretty much 6000 on the dot, splutters (almost like it’s hitting two step) and then smells really rich - i’m guessing this is it running out of air?

The tuning company are sure there’s nothing wrong with the map. I shall go through checking hoses etc as per article.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 04:50 AM   #7
Buzzy335i
Rep

This is the reply I got when I asked for the peak boost target on the map, this is the reply i got:

For this vehicle, the turbo is based on a factor with percentage of air. Values for pressure are not adjusted in the map.
The owner would need to run diagnostics for turbo boost request and actual values gained to see if they are in line with each other.
The codes would indicate that there is an issue with the vehicle. As turbo parts are made to be consuable, it would be best to physically check over the vehicle before continuing.

I’ve done my best to try and find a boost leak to no avail, however I don’t have access to a smoke machine so all i’ve really done is visually inspected pipes and vac lines

Does this sound right? Should I just ask them to remove the tune and go on a rolling road tune somewhere else? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 06:11 AM   #8
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
This is the reply I got when I asked for the peak boost target on the map, this is the reply i got:

For this vehicle, the turbo is based on a factor with percentage of air. Values for pressure are not adjusted in the map.
The owner would need to run diagnostics for turbo boost request and actual values gained to see if they are in line with each other.
The codes would indicate that there is an issue with the vehicle. As turbo parts are made to be consuable, it would be best to physically check over the vehicle before continuing.

I’ve done my best to try and find a boost leak to no avail, however I don’t have access to a smoke machine so all i’ve really done is visually inspected pipes and vac lines

Does this sound right? Should I just ask them to remove the tune and go on a rolling road tune somewhere else? Thanks
Well we don't know what sort of tune you have or what mods are done to your car?

Just get MHD and ran the specific stage file for your mods. Sounds like it would be better than what you have. Also the monitor license to view/log what going on is imperative on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 07:13 AM   #9
Buzzy335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilver335i View Post
Well we don't know what sort of tune you have or what mods are done to your car?

Just get MHD and ran the specific stage file for your mods. Sounds like it would be better than what you have. Also the monitor license to view/log what going on is imperative on this platform.
Thanks for your reply, I think I shall do this

which one should I get? and do I also need to purchase a wi-fi adapter? https://mhdtuning.com/collections/mhd-flasher-n54

I didn’t realise this was a thing.

Also, when I get the MHD flasher, do I need to get my ecu put back to standard by the original tuner or will the MHD just overwrite the tune I had a couple of days ago?
Thanks.

Last edited by Buzzy335i; 06-27-2023 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #10
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I think I shall do this

which one should I get? and do I also need to purchase a wi-fi adapter? https://mhdtuning.com/collections/mhd-flasher-n54

I didn’t realise this was a thing.

Also, when I get the MHD flasher, do I need to get my ecu put back to standard by the original tuner or will the MHD just overwrite the tune I had a couple of days ago?
Thanks.
It's definitely a thing. Best option for tuning and OTS maps. plenty of info and vids on YouTube

You can either get a k+dcan cable with OTG adapter or the wifi adapter is easier.

I'd imagine itll overwrite fine. What mods done to your e93?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 01:30 PM   #11
Buzzy335i
Rep

Hi mate, i’ve just had the map removed from the car so we’re all fresh- no supporting mods atm other than a backbox delete.

I’ve now ordered an adapter and purchased a MHD license.

Thanks for your help guys

Last edited by Buzzy335i; 06-27-2023 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 02:35 PM   #12
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate, i’ve just had the map removed from the car so we’re all fresh- no supporting mods atm other than a backbox delete.

I’ve now ordered an adapter and purchased a MHD license.

Thanks for your help guys

What mods do you have done to the car? Even with MHD you have to be very specific which map you choose to run based on the mods you have done and the fuel available to you. You pay for the maps after you have the license.
      06-27-2023, 03:23 PM   #13
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:

I built a smoke machine and used it to find the leak in my intake. It was pretty easy. I used this guy's guide: