E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Aussies thoughts on the MHD Flasher.

05-08-2015, 04:37 AM   #1
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Aussies thoughts on the MHD Flasher.

Hey blokes i have been wanting to get another tune onto the car for a while but have been holding off because im a broke student now and cant justify the cost of a cobb $1100 or jb4 $700ish.

So i was very interested when i read about the MHD flasher app and low associated costs. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the concept and possible pitfalls or issues you guys see with it. From what i can gather its essentially making your android device an accessport to connect to the car and load maps read codes and do all the usual shit for a fraction of the cost, tunes made by wedge who seems to be the man for this shit.

It all sounds to good to be true, exextremely cheap, easy, good quality tunes from the guy who refines everyone's tunes already and use your phone to do everything a $1100 cobb does. So what am i missing? Any reasons not to jump head first into this ?

here is an official description.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096242
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I'm no tuning expert but it seems legit to me!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Need a K+DCAN USB

I just ordered one for $25 from this vendor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-INPA...item3a9ff3a8c4

Edit
Also adding link to tablet

Astro Queo A712 (NEW) 7" Android 4.4 Kitkat Tablet, Google Certified, Google Play Pre-installed (4GB Memory, Wifi, 7 Inch Multi Touch 5 Point Screen)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYGT6A8/

Last edited by Socket; 05-08-2015 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I've tried it and had the same trouble I did with BB flash, but I'm trying to flash BMS backend for the JB4.

If I had purchased the MHD off the shelf map, I think it would probably great. The problems I'm having seem to be between the Euro/US maps for the JB4.

To setup the MHD, it cost $68 for a 7" tablet, $13 for the Micro USB - USB (on-the-go) cable, and $99aud for the MHD license to flash. I also already had the $99 OBD2 K+DCAN.

The pricing appears to be another $49 for the standard MHD flash maps. That's pretty cheap. So all up about $330 from scratch.

The flashing process is really fast to backup the ECU (basically it reads and saves it instantly), and then the loading time is about 15 - 18 minutes.

The problem free flashing is probably the best part. The software gives no errors, there's not intricate install procedures... just download from the play store, plug it in and press the go button.

The MHD licenses are however locked to your VIN - so you can't flash a friend for free, and there's no resale value in the software.

The logging I believe is another in-app purchase too... So they're making some coin off the product.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #5
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
I've tried it and had the same trouble I did with BB flash, but I'm trying to flash BMS backend for the JB4.

If I had purchased the MHD off the shelf map, I think it would probably great. The problems I'm having seem to be between the Euro/US maps for the JB4.

To setup the MHD, it cost $68 for a 7" tablet, $13 for the Micro USB - USB (on-the-go) cable, and $99aud for the MHD license to flash. I also already had the $99 OBD2 K+DCAN.

The pricing appears to be another $49 for the standard MHD flash maps. That's pretty cheap. So all up about $330 from scratch.

The flashing process is really fast to backup the ECU (basically it reads and saves it instantly), and then the loading time is about 15 - 18 minutes.

The problem free flashing is probably the best part. The software gives no errors, there's not intricate install procedures... just download from the play store, plug it in and press the go button.

The MHD licenses are however locked to your VIN - so you can't flash a friend for free, and there's no resale value in the software.

The logging I believe is another in-app purchase too... So they're making some coin off the product.
Hey Scotty, you're always across this type of stuff
I assume this set up makes the JB4 redundant? If so do you need to remove the JB4 or just set it in map 0?
I've already invested in the JB4 set up and BMWhat app so what would be the advantage of swapping to this new platform?.. better performance? new maps? just for fun?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
MJ80.
Major
Rep

Thanks for that Scotty good info. Im aware about the cables but have sought clarclarification on what ones exactly are required, some are dirt cheap on ebay and others much more expensive, wondering if there is an actual difference that i am missing.

I would also intend to use my s5 phone aswell so theres some more savings..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Hey Scotty, you're always across this type of stuff
I assume this set up makes the JB4 redundant? If so do you need to remove the JB4 or just set it in map 0?
I've already invested in the JB4 set up and BMWhat app so what would be the advantage of swapping to this new platform?.. better performance? new maps? just for fun?
I am not giving up the JB4 yet. I'm just trying to find a way that I can load the Burger MotorSport flashes for extending the JB4.

My car was running great with JB4 standalone, then I got greedy and thought I'd flash to run more ethanol... every time I flash the BMS though it runs like total crap.

The JB4 user settings are really poor in my opinion. There is no 'reset defaults' and if you switch back and forth you have to change dozens of settings...

I think between flashing back and forth I'd forgotten to change the fuel open loop setting back to default, and from what I understand the flashes run different fuel scalars... so I am thinking that it went from being at the max fuel trims pre-flash, to then being minimum fuel trims post-flash.

Then I got O2 sensor codes that I've never experienced before and air-fuel ratio problems... I think I've borked the O2 sensors now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ80. View Post
Thanks for that Scotty good info. Im aware about the cables but have sought clarclarification on what ones exactly are required, some are dirt cheap on ebay and others much more expensive, wondering if there is an actual difference that i am missing.

I would also intend to use my s5 phone aswell so theres some more savings..
If you've already got a samsung phone then it is a no brainer.

I've also read that the cheapest DCAN cables will work - I previously bought the $99 cable as others said it was the only one that would work with BMW standard tools (INPA / NCS Expert).

So all you'd really need then is a OTG (on-the-go) cable, which allows the standard USB to connect to your phone.

The other part I noticed is that you have to plug the app in, before it will let you purchase the licenses through the in-app purchases.
So it actually ID's which ECU you have and displays the relevant flashes (so you can't flash the wrong type to your ECU, and so you don't waste money on the wrong flashes).
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #8
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
I am not giving up the JB4 yet. I'm just trying to find a way that I can load the Burger MotorSport flashes for extending the JB4.

My car was running great with JB4 standalone, then I got greedy and thought I'd flash to run more ethanol... every time I flash the BMS though it runs like total crap.

The JB4 user settings are really poor in my opinion. There is no 'reset defaults' and if you switch back and forth you have to change dozens of settings...

I think between flashing back and forth I'd forgotten to change the fuel open loop setting back to default, and from what I understand the flashes run different fuel scalars... so I am thinking that it went from being at the max fuel trims pre-flash, to then being minimum fuel trims post-flash.

Then I got O2 sensor codes that I've never experienced before and air-fuel ratio problems... I think I've borked the O2 sensors now.

If you've already got a samsung phone then it is a no brainer.

I've also read that the cheapest DCAN cables will work - I previously bought the $99 cable as others said it was the only one that would work with BMW standard tools (INPA / NCS Expert).

So all you'd really need then is a OTG (on-the-go) cable, which allows the standard USB to connect to your phone.

The other part I noticed is that you have to plug the app in, before it will let you purchase the licenses through the in-app purchases.
So it actually ID's which ECU you have and displays the relevant flashes (so you can't flash the wrong type to your ECU, and so you don't waste money on the wrong flashes).
Cheers mate, sounds great .... I'm still a little id its actually worth ditching the JB4 in favor of this? I mean is there any advantage in doing so?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
Scotty89
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Cheers mate, sounds great .... I'm still a little id its actually worth ditching the JB4 in favor of this? I mean is there any advantage in doing so?
Well possibly.

The MHD guys have teamed up with Wedge performance, who can create a custom map for you to load via MHD.

A custom map would be good - but at this stage I'm not convinced that 'off the shelf' flash maps from the US are really compatible with our Euro cars.

I guess it returns to the old debate between piggyback vs flash. There are pros and cons to both.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Well possibly.

The MHD guys have teamed up with Wedge performance, who can create a custom map for you to load via MHD.

A custom map would be good - but at this stage I'm not convinced that 'off the shelf' flash maps from the US are really compatible with our Euro cars.

I guess it returns to the old debate between piggyback vs flash. There are pros and cons to both.
Cheers mate... that be some good advice
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I have run the stage 1 OTS map and have no problems regarding the compatibility of Us and Euro cars.

The stage 1 map is a tad aggressive for 98 Ron so I have had to add some ethanol, E20.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #12
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Can I use the BT cable with the MHD flasher or would I need to buy another cable?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #13
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

BT cable is not supported currently.

Yes you need to hey another cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #14
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

I used MHD a week ago to load the BMS MHD Race flash.

It was pretty easy, but took a while ~40 mins for the full write which is slower than BB for me. I'd expect subsequent writes to be faster.

Comparing to the old BMS BB Race flash, the outright performance is much the same, but drive-ability is much improved particularly gear shifts. Comparing in Tunerpro, there are heaps of differences, most notable the torque ceiling is maxed out, which we could never raise on EU cars for some reason.

Plus, for those who don't know, Terry has disabled the DMTL error code in his bins so we can now flash the file as is without copying data across to our original bins, and he uploaded a new xdf file too. I can report no DMTL errors.

I also upgraded jb4 firmware to v29, and am trying out FUD = 98, which for those who havent seen yet reduces DWP when <15% throttle, and then returns to normal when >15%. This is to help those with wastegate rattle, which i don't have, but can report back that this setting makes the car sound awesome!!! So many crackle and pops on decel, music to my ears. But its hella loud on cold start, like a tractor.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

For those who have one, the BMWhat ODB cable works with the MHD flasher. Just tried it tonight. April 07 build E93 335i. Can't confirm on other models, but willing to lend to people to try. Good option if you want to use MHD flash maps and also code your car. Would still need to purchase the BMWhat app, of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #16
MJ80.
Major
Rep

Iv got an eBay cable coming, 25 bucks all up, fingers crossed it works.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Anyone having connection issues? Seems like my cheap otg cable isn't recognized with the mhd app. Jb4 mobile with otg works fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #18
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I was having a ton of trouble without the car connected to a battery charger. I was Advan and with JD75 and we hooked up the battery charger and not a single issue. Flashed BMS pump flash in 18 minutes flat. The battery has to maintain at least 12v minimum for the app to even connect to the MHD store.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #19
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
I was having a ton of trouble without the car connected to a battery charger. I was Advan and with JD75 and we hooked up the battery charger and not a single issue. Flashed BMS pump flash in 18 minutes flat. The battery has to maintain at least 12v minimum for the app to even connect to the MHD store.

Thanks for that info, ill hook up a charger. Every time I send a log to Terry he insists I put the back end pump flash on.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #20
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Whats you call on this cashy? worth it or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #21
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Whats you call on this cashy? worth it or not?
Worth every cent especially for 07 owners who have difficulty flashing with newer laptops apparently. Complete flash time is 18 mins for 07s, 38 mins for newer cars. Once done, you can switch between flashes in 1-2 minutes. Pulls your stock DME bin file instantly. They have a bunch of off the shelf maps for cheap. All reports are that these maps are very very well done. These were all done by Ken from Wedge Performance. I am now currently running a custom Trebila Performance E85 flash as of an hour ago that levels the AFRs to a dead consistent 12.5. Too much rain and traffic, not dynoed ye, so can't report on real gains yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #22
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Worth every cent especially for 07 owners who have difficulty flashing with newer laptops apparently. Complete flash time is 18 mins for 07s, 38 mins for newer cars. Once done, you can switch between flashes in 1-2 minutes. Pulls your stock DME bin file instantly. They have a bunch of off the shelf maps for cheap. All reports are that these maps are very very well done. These were all done by Ken from Wedge Performance. I am now currently running a custom Trebila Performance E85 flash as of an hour ago that levels the AFRs to a dead consistent 12.5. Too much rain and traffic, not dynoed ye, so can't report on real gains yet.
Thanks Cashy Im looking forward to further updates as you run in the new flash
Appreciate 0