E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Vibration ?

09-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
NewbieBeemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

Exclamation BMW Vibration ?

Hello, I looked around and only found similar things, but it doesn't quite answer whats wrong with the vehicle. I will go get it checked by a mechanic, but would like to see if anyone can figure out what it could be first.

The car is at 175,000 miles and suddenly the service engine light came on. The car shakes like a earthquake, from little vibrations to random big shakes. At Idle you feel it the most. While driving you can still feel it, but its a tad lighter, but still very shaky. From the outside you can see the engine also shake and the exhaust pipes vibrating. Additional information: I noticed if I turn on the AC it makes the car shake even more. The RPMs drop back and fourth, the lower it drops the car shakes more. The car also is accelerating slower. Lastly while driving the car itself makes random 3 beep sounds from the speakers. Anyone can help?
Only lights are the Service Engine and a triangle with Explanation point in it next to if the car is in drive or park.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieBeemer View Post
Hello, I looked around and only found similar things, but it doesn't quite answer whats wrong with the vehicle. I will go get it checked by a mechanic, but would like to see if anyone can figure out what it could be first.

The car is at 175,000 miles and suddenly the service engine light came on. The car shakes like a earthquake, from little vibrations to random big shakes. At Idle you feel it the most. While driving you can still feel it, but its a tad lighter, but still very shaky. From the outside you can see the engine also shake and the exhaust pipes vibrating. Additional information: I noticed if I turn on the AC it makes the car shake even more. The RPMs drop back and fourth, the lower it drops the car shakes more. The car also is accelerating slower. Lastly while driving the car itself makes random 3 beep sounds from the speakers. Anyone can help?
Only lights are the Service Engine and a triangle with Explanation point in it next to if the car is in drive or park.
this could be anything. It is very hard to tell you what is wrong with your car without knowing the DME codes that have been stored. you need to hook it up and pull the codes that are stored. once you get that, its easier to diagnose this problem. I would NOT RUN THE VEHICLE, until you can get it scanned on the scan tool to see what engine codes are being stored. could be timing, could be vanos, could be any sensors... etc... list goes on. GET CODE FIRST AND THEN REPORT WHAT CODE YOUR VEHICLE IS SHOWING.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Well, if the SES light is on, then you have a good path to diagnosis. The trouble code most likely will point to an ignition/fuel system problem. I'd bet a misfire. The engine is running on five or less cylinders. Adding load to the engine such as the AC make it worse.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-25-2018 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      09-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Scan codes.

Look up codes.

Buy part.

Replace part.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Scan codes.

Look up codes.

Buy part.

Replace part.
^^^ follow this advice

We can't diagnose anything over the internet. BUT if you get the proper code reader you'll get pointed in the right direction.

Check the codes.

I had the exact same symptoms on my car. I read the codes which directed me to two misfiring cylinders. Six new Bosch coils and six new NGK iridium spark plugs later, the engine runs like new again.

(I read in several places that the Delphi coils are better than the Bosch coils and may last a bit longer, but so far I have no issues)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Scan codes.

Look up codes.

Buy part.