E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 mystery misfire

03-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Alexg5505
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Unhappy N54 mystery misfire

Alright guys I know there’s a lot of threads on this topic, but I couldn’t find one pertaining to my exact issue. So I have a 2007 335i sedan (08/06) build date. I was running mhd stage 1+ with dcis for a while with no issues and decided I’d run the stage 1+ E30 map. Started having cylinder 6 misfires under heavy load so I replaced all plugs and coils. Problem persists and I switched back to the 93 map once the tank was empty. Still having misfires on 6 under heavier load, but sometimes it’ll happen at random times. Injectors were replaced by bmw under warranty a few years back and I confirmed they are not leaking... so I loosened the injector hold down for 5 and 6 and injector 6 seems to wiggle slightly with pressure compared to the others which do not wiggle at all. At this point I’m thinking my next course of action is new o-rings and decouplers. Any other ideas or things to check are appreciated. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

It could be the injector, however if you are going as far as replacing the teflon seal and decoupler which i think the chance of just those failing is close to zero.. then might as well replace the injector.

But before replacing anything check compression on that cylinder.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

LPFP - low pressure fuel pump. That E30 might've done it, maybe try re-flashing again or resetting the throttle mapping or some shit like that.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Alexg5505
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

The lpfp is staying at a healthy pressure along with hpfp(which is newer). I have tried reflashing and am currently on the stage 1 tune which reduced the issue a little compared to stage 1+. The thing that gets me is that most people with injector issues experience stumbling and misfires on a cold start even at idle. Mine usually only does it under more load. Like 4th or 5th gear at 3kish warm or cold. I guess I’ll do a compression test and see how that turns out. What parameters are best to data log when diagnosing this?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Natemac19
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexg5505 View Post
The lpfp is staying at a healthy pressure along with hpfp(which is newer). I have tried reflashing and am currently on the stage 1 tune which reduced the issue a little compared to stage 1+. The thing that gets me is that most people with injector issues experience stumbling and misfires on a cold start even at idle. Mine usually only does it under more load. Like 4th or 5th gear at 3kish warm or cold. I guess I’ll do a compression test and see how that turns out. What parameters are best to data log when diagnosing this?

What seemed to be the issue? Exact same problem here.
Appreciate 0