E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Mechanic Recommendations

05-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
nicegsxr
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 C2S

Mechanic Recommendations

Anyone on this board knows of any mechanic or shop recommendations that can replace Control Arms and Rear Trailing Arms?? I am from the US but keeps a car in HK and I am looking to bring the parts back to HK but need recommendations on where I can get them installed. I would do them myself but no tools or place haha, so any help is great! Also I am in the YL area so recommendations from that area would be great! Thanks in advance!

John
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 01:53 AM   #2
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicegsxr View Post
Anyone on this board knows of any mechanic or shop recommendations that can replace Control Arms and Rear Trailing Arms?? I am from the US but keeps a car in HK and I am looking to bring the parts back to HK but need recommendations on where I can get them installed. I would do them myself but no tools or place haha, so any help is great! Also I am in the YL area so recommendations from that area would be great! Thanks in advance!

John
I'm new to the area and it's apparent this sub section is completely dead. I'm on a similar boat... Just picked up a lowered 335, and the rear is too low. Looking for a good shop to make minor tweaks, get servicing done, etc.

I also used to do all modifications (coilover install, bolt on installs, etc) myself, but the lack of tools, etc., makes this very difficult.

Additionally, if anyone can chime in as to where I can buy waxes, polishes, etc., that would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

James
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtech E90 E83 View Post
I'm new to the area and it's apparent this sub section is completely dead. I'm on a similar boat... Just picked up a lowered 335, and the rear is too low. Looking for a good shop to make minor tweaks, get servicing done, etc.

I also used to do all modifications (coilover install, bolt on installs, etc) myself, but the lack of tools, etc., makes this very difficult.

Additionally, if anyone can chime in as to where I can buy waxes, polishes, etc., that would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

James
For wax and stuff, dont know where you can find cheap ones. But Mong Kong Hak Po street has a lot, and also next couple blocks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 01:32 AM   #4
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
For wax and stuff, dont know where you can find cheap ones. But Mong Kong Hak Po street has a lot, and also next couple blocks.
Thanks for the heads up.

I'd also like to pick up a set of tools for minor DIY work, but finding tools in HK seems like a pretty difficult task for non-native hong kongers. Any recommendations on where I can get a cheap set of sockets, wrenches, etc?

-James
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I'd also like to pick up a set of tools for minor DIY work, but finding tools in HK seems like a pretty difficult task for non-native hong kongers. Any recommendations on where I can get a cheap set of sockets, wrenches, etc?

-James
Do you have a Hong Kong friend who can read Chinese?
If you go to 五金店 you can find all kinds of tools you need. They are everywhere in Hong Kong. Its not a franchise, just where local ppl pick up hardware tools. PS which area are located in?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #6
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

-James
Found this for you for tools:
http://new.richpower.hk/English/Main.asp

For bmw parts:

1. DEUTSCHLAND AUTO SPARE PARTS GMBH LTD
G/F, 28-32 PAK KUNG ST., HUNG HOM, KLN

2. VALIANT AUTO PARTS CO. LTD
93 Hak Po St, G/F, Mongkok. Kln
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:35 AM   #7
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicegsxr View Post

John
YL area, I can guarantee you will get ripped off. TBH YL is pretty messed up area.
This mechanic used to live in Vancouver, but he moved back to Hong Kong, he also just moved his mechanic shop to Fo Tan from Tai Wai. He has been fixing BMW and Mercedes for number of years. He is located in ShaTin, Fo Tan area. If you take Fanling Hwy, you can get there with in 30mins. PS dont take Tsing Long highway, those tunnels cost more and more traffic.

The name of the mechanic shop:
CONDER TRADING LTD.

Yes its called the trading company because they also carry parts. And if you look up the company name, the address has not been updated. The new address is Wong Chuk Yeung Street, Fo Tan. Look for the Shop that has two car lift and bunch of Benz parked outside.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a Hong Kong friend who can read Chinese?
If you go to 五金店 you can find all kinds of tools you need. They are everywhere in Hong Kong. Its not a franchise, just where local ppl pick up hardware tools. PS which area are located in?
Yes, but they're all lazy, so unless i'm looking at it with them, they're useless lol. I'm in Happy Valley, but don't mind driving or MTR'ing a bit.

Quote:
Found this for you for tools:
http://new.richpower.hk/English/Main.asp

For bmw parts:

1. DEUTSCHLAND AUTO SPARE PARTS GMBH LTD
G/F, 28-32 PAK KUNG ST., HUNG HOM, KLN

2. VALIANT AUTO PARTS CO. LTD
93 Hak Po St, G/F, Mongkok. Kln
Thanks for the info, brother! Much appreciated. I heard Hak Po St is the one to go to, so I'll be sure to them them out.
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
azndevil
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i mt

Quote:
Yes, but they're all lazy, so unless i'm looking at it with them, they're useless lol. I'm in Happy Valley, but don't mind driving or MTR'ing a bit.

Thanks for the info, brother! Much appreciated. I heard Hak Po St is the one to go to, so I'll be sure to them them out.
hak po street is more for jap car stuff and accessories/diy stuff at a premium. you can buy those off taobao instead, its a lot cheaper

as for tools i'd recommend here but of course..quality comes at a price..

in fact you can get pretty much every tool you need around this area
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #10
nicegsxr
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 C2S

I found it much easier to bring tools back to Hong Kong from LA since I travel to HK alot. My problem was pretty much lack of space to do anything but I did hear from people you can actually rent stalls to work on your own cars and its like 100 bucks per hour or something. Anyhow thanks for the recommendation on the mechanic, I will definitely check him out next time I return to HK. And yes the tunnel fee recommendations was well noted as I dont understand why it cost so much for certain tunnels vs others.. HK is such a weird place to drive in haha
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndevil View Post
hak po street is more for jap car stuff and accessories/diy stuff at a premium. you can buy those off taobao instead, its a lot cheaper

as for tools i'd recommend here but of course..quality comes at a price..

in fact you can get pretty much every tool you need around this area
If only they can read Chinese
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Just wondering what gas do you guys use? Let say Shell, there isn't an option like 87, 89, 91. Theres only regular / V power
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering what gas do you guys use? Let say Shell, there isn't an option like 87, 89, 91. Theres only regular / V power
From what I've read, they only have regular (95RON) or premium (98RON). That's the equivalent of 91 and 93 octane, respectively, to the gas offered in the states.

It just sucks major big ones that gas is roughly $6-8/Gallon here. ugh.
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0