E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 blind spot and convex mirrors

08-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #23
Rapidfire7
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidfire7 View Post
Thanks for all the replies most appreciated. I have adjusted my mirrors to the way some of you suggested and I agree that this is the better way to have them set, so thanks for that. Also, my mirrors are genuine BMW and are separated with a line. Am I correct in believing that every part of these mirrors is convex, but the outer sections just give you a wider angle than normal to show you more of the blind spot? Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, do the lines being there actually serve any really purpose when driving?

Furthermore, I'm not sure that I really explained my main concern too well in my initial post, in that the blind spots aren't a problem for me as such. The convex mirrors seem to virtually eliminate the blind spots, but I have problems judging how close the cars in other lanes really are when looking into them...and this sometimes causes me issues when merging.

This isn't such a problem for me when merging left as when I do a final head check on my left side I have a decent enough view out of the rear side and rear window to see exactly where those cars are in relation to the back of mine. But when trying to merge right and do a final head check over my right shoulder (driver's side here in Australia) my view out of the rear side and rear window is largely blocked because of the head rests, small windows and angles etc. Even turning my whole body around when doing a head check (as someone suggested to me) doesn’t help much.

Maybe this issue seems funny to some of you, but it does cause me problems when trying to merge right on busy freeways into small gaps etc, and this is a problem I have never had in any of the other 4 cars I have owned. I am just so used to having flat mirrors and having good visibility when doing head checks that I am just struggling to adapt to this aspect of my car. I have even thought about removing some of the head rests so I can see a bit more or even installing flat mirrors instead. Thoughts?
Am I the only one who has this issue?
Appreciate 0