E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > LCD - DVD monitor

06-24-2005, 08:48 AM   #1
ssangjune
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

LCD - DVD monitor

Hi,

I didn't purchase my E90 with a navigation system so i decided to buy my own and get it installed.

Does anyone know any great sites for purchasing one?

Any good recommendation on a brand?

Are the ones that sit on the dash better than the one that come down from the roof?

What are some security measures i can take against theft?

It's my first time, so any help is much appreciated.

thanks!
      06-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssangjune
Hi,

I didn't purchase my E90 with a navigation system so i decided to buy my own and get it installed.

Does anyone know any great sites for purchasing one?

Any good recommendation on a brand?

Are the ones that sit on the dash better than the one that come down from the roof?

What are some security measures i can take against theft?

It's my first time, so any help is much appreciated.

thanks!
This is the route I took on my e46, and it's fine for me. I suppose a similar install could be done in the e90.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=garmin
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Hi ssangjune. Well, it all depends on what you're looking for. You mentioned ones that sit on the dash and ones that come down from the roof, but have you thought about in-dash? I'm not sure if you want to go that route (taking the regular radio out, if that's even possible on the new E90), but if you're looking into aftermarket DVD players, I'd definitely recommend a Clarion DVD player, or any other brand of DVD players that can play VCDs, but clarion was always my favorite. I had on in my old car (which I sold to put towards the downpayment) but anyway, it was really great. It played DVD movies, and I actually was even able to download music videos from like Kazaa or edonkey, I'd edit the videos by replacing the audio with cd quality audio (audio taken from a cd and spliced into the video itself), and then burn the videos on a VCD and the clarion was actually able to play VCDs! It was amazing. I was the only guy in town to be riding around with music videos playing in my car at the time!

But that's only my two cents. Like I said, I don't even know if aftermarket radios are even an option for the E90 (I don't know how the whole factory system works), but that's definitely something to think about if you can in fact do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
coco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmmer

Wouldn't one that comes down from the roof be useless for the driver? Like sharp1183 said, Clarion makes some awesome in-dash DVD players. Check this new one out: Clarion VRX755VD (even has IPOD integration).

Clarion will begin sales of the "iPod-compatible DVD/Wide 7" AV center unit", a car AV unit that supports control of Apple's HDD audio player via a touch-screen LCD, in North America from January 2005.

The "AV center unit" connects to the iPod via a special cable and displays the iPod LCD contents and control keys on its 7" LCD screen. The iPod is controlled via the AV center's LCD touch-screen display. The unit is also equipped with power supply and charging functions for the iPod.

Beginning with sales in North America, Clarion plans to gradually introduce more car audio and navigation products that support the iPod to places such as Japan and Europe. Clarion also plans to supply these products as OEM equipment to car manufacturers.

According to Apple's director of iPod Product Marketing, Stan Ng, "the car is one of the favourite places to listen to music and Clarion's innovative solutions allow music lovers another option for easily listening to iPod in their car." The iPod-compatible "AV center unit" will be displayed at the "2005 International CES" in Las Vegas.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
brewer
Private
Rep
Drives: Arctic E90

That clarion screen looks awesome! I've seen the previous generation Clarion DVD screen and it's such a cool unit. This one's IPOD integration sounds very cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
djfreex
Rep
Drives: E90 Wannabe

I do not know if it would fit the E90 but this is the best NAV/DVD/Mp3/TV system I have seen so far (All in One)
Pioneer AVIC-N2

The Revolution Goes On — the Latest Navigation Systems from Pioneer
Pioneer's AVIC-N2 further improves your driving experience with a multitude of advanced features. The unit keeps drivers better informed — and entertained — with detailed map information for wider area, intuitive touch panel operation, GUI with improved visibility, and CD and/or DVD playback. Additionally, the system is ready to deliver detailed traffic information for major cities in conjunction with the XM NavTraffic service and an optional XM Radio tuner.
Appreciate 0