E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Only 8 volts at Jumpstart terminal?

07-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
zohaibrose
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Only 8 volts at Jumpstart terminal?

As the title says: Im kind of stuck right now and not sure what else to do before i tow it down to the dealer because this is kind of out of my capabilities.

I have a 09 328xi with misfore in cylinders 4 5 6 and a P0300, once the car starts it idles VERY Poorly to the point where it starts shaking because of how low the revs go. it smoothes out the revs once i play with the throttle to keep it alive but if i dont it will just stall out. i have done the basics of moving around the coils and plugs to cylinders 1-3 but no matter what the car does not care.

This seems more of a involved job. the only clue i could find was at the positive jumpstart terminal im only getting 8 volts. same for the coil packs, but when i check voltage at the battery in the trunk its showing 12 volts, Note all this is done with the engine off, I didnt get to try it with engine on because once it warms up and i turn the car off it wont idle smooth anymore once i turn it back on, When i went to my e39 and checked voltage at the jumpstart terminal under the hood it was 12 volts engine off so something is not right.

This is probably the most complex situation ive been in, all the fuses are working fine, all the lines under the intake manifold are in, checked all around looking for vaccum leaks but couldnt see or find any. Any clues any tips of where else to check, sure as hell seems like a electrical problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I'd be looking at ground connections.
Appreciate 0