E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > New job means new car...

08-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

New job means new car...

...and I'm not entirely impressed!

Ok so it's a TT TDI S-Line Special Edition with many options! Wasn't my choice!

Positives:
Incredible Fuel consumption (which is the reason they got it)
Looks rather nice
Handles quite nicely
Turns Heads
Stereo is nice
Gearbox is beautiful

Negatives:
Not exactly quick! - Nothing a remap can't sort
It's a diesel sports car!
19" Wheels + S Line Suspension = Jiggly Ride!
Not a BMW

Brought it back up the motorway from work today and it averaged 47 mpg with a heavy right foot! I was amazed! Got on the country roads and threw it round some corners and it did handle nicely!

BUT it just feels a bit numb compared to the Z4!

Luckily, they've said I can choose my own in January if i'm not happy with it, and they'll give it to someone else
Attached Images

Last edited by CHG; 08-24-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

looks almost as good as the ttrs!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

Nice car.. where do you work and as what (if I may ask) ?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Never driven the TT TDi................well if we ever meet at one of the meets we could compare lol. Is it nose heavy at all having the diesel engine there?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
nice wheels!...

and u got an awesome job!!!...please let me know if there are any vacancies at ur place!!!....;-) i was in the office until 10pm/11pm in my previous job, and i didn't get fcuk all...

a TT for company car....wow!....
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
Nice car.. where do you work and as what (if I may ask) ?
I'm a business development manager for a medium sized vehicle engineering company/accident management/bodyshop... Had my own company for 3 years, then stepped down to get experience in other fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Never driven the TT TDi................well if we ever meet at one of the meets we could compare lol. Is it nose heavy at all having the diesel engine there?
It's slightly heavy on the front end, but not as bad as I thought it might be! It's also on the company insurance, so at the next meet if I make it, you can have a play yourself

One thing I do love though is the silver stitching on the seats! Looks really classy!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Ok, you're on.

I had a young looking 'tool' in a Golf TDi wanting to race me this morning and thought 'Oh is this how it's going to be' so maybe watch out for those 'types' or perhaps I was just unlucky today........or it's because I over took him then pulled back into 'his' lane and he got upset. Well he did because he was adament he was going to get onto the dual carriageway before me lol. Made me chuckle tbh.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Ok, you're on.

I had a young looking 'tool' in a Golf TDi wanting to race me this morning and thought 'Oh is this how it's going to be' so maybe watch out for those 'types' or perhaps I was just unlucky today........or it's because I over took him then pulled back into 'his' lane and he got upset. Well he did because he was adament he was going to get onto the dual carriageway before me lol. Made me chuckle tbh.
i would have just kept wherever the 'gap' was for him just not quite large enough to squeeze through

that would make me giggle when he missed the turning...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
not too much of a hardship i hope
still nice gap filler for the next 4 months, what you going to go after that?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I had the previous model and sold it because the ride was unliveable with, also nothing short of dangerous when pulling out of anything other than a ninety degree junction, oh had the gearbox had to come out twice, oh and first gear was unelectable in the winter months.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
not too much of a hardship i hope
still nice gap filler for the next 4 months, what you going to go after that?
I've had a play with it today, and really starting to enjoy it! Really responds when worked! Hopefully going to get an E Class Convertible, or maybe an E93! They're both on the list of cars I can choose! Luckily the job I'm in promotes nice cars as they apparently "enhance the image of the company" - Fine by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I had the previous model and sold it because the ride was unliveable with, also nothing short of dangerous when pulling out of anything other than a ninety degree junction, oh had the gearbox had to come out twice, oh and first gear was unelectable in the winter months.
Don't tell me this Visibility is an Issue though!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
i would have just kept wherever the 'gap' was for him just not quite large enough to squeeze through

that would make me giggle when he missed the turning...
Good point lol. Unfortunately I'd sort of left him sniffing my twin pipes down the very long approach road to the dual carriageway which narked him more So he decides to chop up the slip road, cross the white hatched area and trundle into the outside lane, surprising the poor woman in a Renault Megane who was travelling in the outside lane. All to get ahead of me and I totally pre-empted what he'd do etc so there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
Don't tell me this Visibility is an Issue though!
Don't panic different car, newer model etc, etc.

Where are you finding visibility an issue if I may ask? I'm only 5' 4" so bit of a short arse and so far find it ok. Bit obscured passenger rear quarter perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Where are you finding visibility an issue if I may ask? I'm only 5' 4" so bit of a short arse and so far find it ok. Bit obscured passenger rear quarter perhaps?
I find it hard to judge where the front end is (front PDC would be useful) and the rear quarters as you say, and as i'm 6' 2" it's a tad cramped compared with the Beemer!

In love with the short shift gearbox though...So direct and precise, and the Xenon headlights are really bright!

Only complaint I've had so far is apparently the telephone mic is quite quiet and people are struggling to hear me! But after a quick call to the local garage, apparently it's a quick software fix, AND the best part - they're coming to pick the car up from work for me tomorrow

All in all though, I think the Beemer is made slightly better...there's a couple of rattles on the TT. I also prefer the heavier steering on the Beemer, but once going at some speed the Audi is a lot more fun! I suppose it is like chalk and cheese though comparing a 2 seater (the back seats are a joke so don't count) sports car to an estate E91!

It's growing on me....Quickly
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Haven't noticed judging the front end tbh.

Have you got the multi function steering wheel so you can increase volume? I've only spoken to a couple of people in this car but no problems hearing me.

No, no to rattles, that's not right. My S5 was three years old and no rattles and none in the TTRS so far despite the rather firm suspension. I'd get those sorted tbh as in my experience it's not the norm.

Lol don't think you can compare an estate to a two seater (don't know why they put back seats there tbh!) shorter wheelbase jobby etc. Have a play in a RS6 avant.......they're erm different lol........like 'Shit how fast we going, and how does an estate car go around corners like that!'. Just don't watch the fuel gauge.
Appreciate 0