E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Does anybody know the cracking pressure of the Wastegate?

03-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

Does anybody know the cracking pressure of the Wastegate?

Hey guys,
I have been dealing with a wastegate that does not open for some time now.
The car has new pressure converters a new euv and new silicone hoses from BMW.

The car boosts up to 44 PSI every time on my p3 digital gauge and snow psi gauge

It has Jerek stage 2.5, intercooler, meth, stock turbos

I finally got a buddy to pull the downpipe and check the waste gate manually and it takes 25hg for it to move. I am guessing that the vacuum pump should pull 25hg and the pressure converters when energized should let that much HG through. Therefore moving the waste gate open and eliminating boost.

My question is what HG should be seen at the waste gate under boost and what is the cracking pressure it takes to get a waste gate open? I know there are several other threads regarding this system. But nothing I can find is similar to this.

Car has no CEL or no other driving issues whatsoever. Fuel mileage is good, 80K on the odometer, the switchover valve works fine.

I am thinking to check for tiny leaks.

Overall this is a very confusing ordeal. Thanks for the help in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

here is a video of the wastegate
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdeezy View Post
Hey guys,
I have been dealing with a wastegate that does not open for some time now.
The car has new pressure converters a new euv and new silicone hoses from BMW.

The car boosts up to 44 PSI every time on my p3 digital gauge and snow psi gauge

It has Jerek stage 2.5, intercooler, meth, stock turbos

I finally got a buddy to pull the downpipe and check the waste gate manually and it takes 25hg for it to move. I am guessing that the vacuum pump should pull 25hg and the pressure converters when energized should let that much HG through. Therefore moving the waste gate open and eliminating boost.

My question is what HG should be seen at the waste gate under boost and what is the cracking pressure it takes to get a waste gate open? I know there are several other threads regarding this system. But nothing I can find is similar to this.

Car has no CEL or no other driving issues whatsoever. Fuel mileage is good, 80K on the odometer, the switchover valve works fine.

I am thinking to check for tiny leaks.

Overall this is a very confusing ordeal. Thanks for the help in advance
I am thinking that sounds about normal. When I had overboost issues I remember checking the WG with a hand vacuum pump, and it only goes to 30. That being said, did you put a gauge before the pressure converter and make sure the vacuum pump is making enough vacuum while running?

Also, where are your digital gauge and Snow gauge tied in?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Dave,

The boost gauge and the meth controller are connected to the auxiliary bung on the AArodriguez egr delete. As soon as the pipe goes back on I will report back with the readings. I think that will tell an interesting story.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I'm not sure if OP is interested in the cracking pressure boost related or the actual vacuum cracking pressure that is in the system.

The wastegate is controlled via a pressure controller that is fed 29 inHg of the system vacuum, but it is PWM controlled and is variabe.

The boost level cracking pressure will also be variable based on various system inputs and as such will not be consistent form case to case. But you can check the ballpark, by hooking up a vaccum gauge in parallel with the pressure converter output. Best and easy spot to do this is just below the HP turbo there is a connector in the vacuum line. All you need to do is to take the airbox out and you will see that. You will have to run a parameter monitoring program such as TestO, Torque or Carly to see at what boost level the wastegate will begin to open.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdeezy View Post
Thanks Dave,

The boost gauge and the meth controller are connected to the auxiliary bung on the AArodriguez egr delete. As soon as the pipe goes back on I will report back with the readings. I think that will tell an interesting story.

So your methanol nozzle and boost reference sensor are both on the egr race pipe ?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwal187 View Post
So your methanol nozzle and boost reference sensor are both on the egr race pipe ?
No, the auxiliary bung goes to the boost gauge and splits off to the meth controller. The meth bungs are welded on about 16 inches down on the metal pipe. There is a guy on the forum who runs his meth nozzle that close. But it's not me. Sorry for the yuuuge pic
Appreciate 0