E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AFE INTAKE??????

02-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

AFE INTAKE??????

I just ordered the AFE dual intake for my 335 but haven't installed it yet. I was wondering do all these intakes actually increase your hp and torque as much as they advertise?? The AFE is supposed to give me about 27 horses. We'll see about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Haha no they don't. That was a hot topic around this board last year.

I have the afe mainly because I want a freer flowing intake, but don't want to look at that horrific intake manifold.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
I just ordered the AFE dual intake for my 335 but haven't installed it yet. I was wondering do all these intakes actually increase your hp and torque as much as they advertise?? The AFE is supposed to give me about 27 horses. We'll see about that.
LOL... Dude, it's been dyno tested that the AFE looses HP on a Stock car... I'm sure with a Tuned Car (GIAC, JB, PROcede, etc) you will gain HP, but if your stock, don't hold your breath... YOu may gain between 5-15hp, but not 27...

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
it would be a good bang for the buck if it did though! haha
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

You will definitely increase power, I don't know how you'd lose power unless you are running it in an extremely hot environment to the point that the AFE's intake heat shield loses effectiveness.

Perhaps you won't gain as much HP/tq as their advertised claims, but expect a decent sized gain of around 10-15hp.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

I can't believe how everyone follows each other like sheep in voicing their opinion on the negative results posted on this intake, which is all based on speculation on one dyno session done almost 2 years ago.

If all we know, this car may have thrown a hidden code right when they tested the AFE or his engine may have heatsoaked and it pulled timing............there is a lot of conjecture and what ifs to all dyno data. Unless super strict guidelines are followed in a controlled environment, its not an exact Science.

I'm sure that if others were to Dyno test the AFE, they would see varying results just like if you were to test the BMS, VISHNU or INJEN . Some people would see a good gain and some would see a mediocre result!
Why??? because improved airflow intake systems go hand in hand and respond to other HP improvements like freeflow exhaust/catless DP's, Tuning ECU's etc......and since everybodies setups vary you will get differing results. The type of cars that pickup HP without any mods are very revealling that the OEM setup is restrictive in the first place and since the N54 does not respond in this way, shows you that it is working quite well as it is..............ask Hotrod who gets into the 11's with the OEM intake.

As an observer of all recently developed DCI's, they all pretty much seem to follow the same principles, except AFE use a sheild below their intakes to ward off heat. They all use twin filter setups and varying lengths of intake runners. I just can't see where all these huge gains come from, to be able to see any measurable difference in results between all these DCI's on the market.
I may have formed my own opinion on this but I refuse to have the wool pulled over my eyes.

Last edited by Sparky66; 02-11-2010 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
I can't believe how everyone follows each other like sheep in voicing their opinion on the negative results posted on this intake, which is all based on speculation on one dyno session done almost 2 years ago.

If all we know, this car may have thrown a hidden code right when they tested the AFE or his engine may have heatsoaked and it pulled timing............there is a lot of conjecture and what ifs to all dyno data. Unless super strict guidelines are followed in a controlled environment, its not an exact Science.

I'm sure that if others were to Dyno test the AFE, they would see varying results just like if you were to test the BMS, VISHNU or INJEN . Some people would see a good gain and some would see a mediocre result!
Why??? because improved airflow intake systems go hand in hand and respond to other HP improvements like freeflow exhaust/catless DP's, Tuning ECU's etc......and since everybodies setups vary you will get differing results. The type of cars that pickup HP without any mods are very revealling that the OEM setup is restrictive in the first place and since the N54 does not respond in this way, shows you that it is working quite well as it is..............ask Hotrod who gets into the 11's with the OEM intake.

As an observer of all recently developed DCI's, they all pretty much seem to follow the same principles, except AFE use a sheild below their intakes to ward off heat. They all use twin filter setups and varying lengths of intake runners. I just can't see where all these huge gains come from, to be able to see any measurable difference in results between all these DCI's on the market.
I may have formed my own opinion on this but I refuse to have the wool pulled over my eyes.
The difference is that AFE blocks probably 30% of the filter with an ineffective heat shield. The idea of a DCI is free flow.

The truth is if AFE didn't make the outrageous claims then people wouldn't be so critical of them. The fact that they defend it gives them 0 credibility in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
fast4door
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
The difference is that AFE blocks probably 30% of the filter with an ineffective heat shield. The idea of a DCI is free flow.

The truth is if AFE didn't make the outrageous claims then people wouldn't be so critical of them. The fact that they defend it gives them 0 credibility in my mind.
+1..i know plenty of people who had the afe and switched to another brand because they were not impressed
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post

+1000

I was another person who had this intake and lost power, and I was tuned. It is an intake that looks good but other than that it is ineffective and in the upper rpm's you car seems to "choke out" losing the filter area and enclosing the box with the heat shield material under the hood really restricts the airflow too. IMHO the dci is the best so far, I have actually had the DCI, AFE, HVI, and the single BMS long filter, so I am talking from actual real road experience, hell IMHO the HVI was ALOT better than the AFE, flow wise and seat dyno.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
mikey335iT
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
i have just baught an AFE filter aswell is it even worth putting on???? can the heat shield not be removed??
      02-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
335ievo
Your'e gonna learrrrrrnn tooooday
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M Sport EB

its gained 27hp at 1 specific point in the RPM. It's not throughout the powerband. So techincally its true what they advertised, but the words are kind of played around. It does make power though.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." James Dewar
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
And if RPI made it it would gain 40 HP

Sorry about the smart ass coment but I had too!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

The afe is a good product and aFe is very passionate about making power and this product will do just that. Please keep in mind the afe dyno shows the peak gain. A bunch of people said the aFe m3 intake made no gains, all it took was another independent dyno to prove all the naysayers wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I usually am not that negative about any product..but honestly the afe just plain sucks..the dci is 1/3 the price and much more effective..this is the way I think about the afe if you prefer looks over function then by all means get the afe..but if you prefer more power and want ur engine to breathe better in the upper. Rpms with increased boost then there is only one choice sorry to all vendors selling this but it just isn't worth it AT ALL
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Yes and no. We offer both aFe and the BMS DCI because they have their pros and cons. The BMS DCI is a no frills affordable upgrade that does the job. The aFe is a much more complete system that is more expensive but has a built in heat shield to prevent heat soak. If you want a complete high end system, then do the aFe. If you just want an affordable upgrade, then do the BMS DCI. They are both solid systems but are aimed at different markets.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Nick and Cal... I'm looking at the injen and Afe intakes for my e90... I really can't decide on either one because I like the injen looks, but the afe has the heat shield...which would you guys recommend? pro's and cons i've seen are:

AFE pros:
Heat shield
scoop to pass air to both cones.

Injen pros:
better gains
better looks

AFE cons:
some say it looses power
doesn't look as nice
heat shield restricts part of intake from getting air.

injen cons:
might have "heat soak" due to no heat shield

I'm leaning towards the injen purely on looks, but recommendations go equal to both...bottom line is I don't want to loose any power, whether due to heat or other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

^ If you want looks, go for the injen. If you want performance, just save your money and get a BMS DCI.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
I usually am not that negative about any product..but honestly the afe just plain sucks..the dci is 1/3 the price and much more effective..
Uh, doesn't DCI = Dual Cone Intake, which aFe makes? Are people talking the difference between the aFe drop-in filter and some other DCI? I must be missing something.

As far as the aFe dual cone intake, what I was told by the fellas at **********s was that it may initally lose power, but once the MAF had "adapted" to the increased airflow it should produce more power than with the stock airbox. I'm not saying this is true/false, only what I've been told.
      02-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07_335i View Post
Nick and Cal... I'm looking at the injen and Afe intakes for my e90... I really can't decide on either one because I like the injen looks, but the afe has the heat shield...which would you guys recommend? pro's and cons i've seen are:

AFE pros:
Heat shield
scoop to pass air to both cones.

Injen pros:
better gains
better looks

AFE cons:
some say it looses power
doesn't look as nice
heat shield restricts part of intake from getting air.

injen cons:
might have "heat soak" due to no heat shield

I'm leaning towards the injen purely on looks, but recommendations go equal to both...bottom line is I don't want to loose any power, whether due to heat or other reasons.
see i guess opinions vary because i love how the AFE looks and i think the injen looks assy and like it belongs in a civic engine bay!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
arent u stopped to ask this question before u order?

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #21
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The car needs to be driven anywhere from 200-400 miles before it has fully adapted with the new intake. Many people install their intakes and go straight to dyno their cars without first allowing the car to go through this learning period.

All the pictures and Advertisements you guys are seeing from the InJen products are actually from my E92 335i. Don't get me wrong, the InJen DCI is a great intake and I've had it in my car for over a year now and I do love the sound. However, I do believe that there are some design issues that could be remedied and aFe's intake does just that.

There are two design aspects on InJen's DCI that I would have liked to see:
  • InJen's DCI is exposed in the engine bay without a heat shield
  • InJen's DCI does not retain the use of BOTH the air snorkels and only uses one which allows for less air-flow
These are the two main concerns I have with InJen's DCI and aFe fixes both of them. As most of you know already, aFe is going to be releasing their completely closed air intake system in 2010. I will be personally doing a comparison and independent dyno outside of aFe and InJens facilities between InJens DCI and aFe's new Stage 3 Sealed Intake when it does become available!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
The car needs to be driven anywhere from 200-400 miles before it has fully adapted with the new intake. Many people install their intakes and go straight to dyno their cars without first allowing the car to go through this learning period.
**********s, you keep referring to the adaption time. Please understand I am very respectful of you as a vendor, but these are simply false statements! Have you ever monitored how fast the E92 fuel trims adjust? It is almost instaneous. There is literally NO adaption time needed on these cars to get power out of an intake.

An intake helps the car in a few important ways. The restriction from the stock intake is fixed with an aftermarket intake allowing the turbos to spin slower and produce the same boost. No adaption needed. In co-operation with the increase flow, you could get more O2, but the wideband after the turbo will detect it so fast and make the fuel adjustment in fractions of a second. No adaption needed. Lastly, the intake can lower IATs and that is monitored by the TMAP, so the engine adds the necessary fuel instaneously. No adaption needed.

I am not talking from opinion, but from first hand experience.
Appreciate 0