E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Need some help/tips of buffing

04-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Need some help/tips of buffing

OK...I ordered everything (I think) that I need to get my car done right.

I have horrible swirl marks.

I'm an amateur....as in I've NEVER done this before. But I'd really rather do this myself than pay someone. I guess because I actually like doing any work on my car.

I have read through many of the DIY threads for cleaning/detaling so I'm getting there as far as knowing what to do. I couldn't find an order of how to do this as far as what pads/polishes to use. But I just want to give a list of what I have and if someone can please tell me what order I should go in with the buffing. I ordered this stuff while I was in Germany about 6 months ago or more. I JUST now got it all together so I've forgotten the info detailedimage gave me. So here's the stuff..

Chemical guys Glossworkz (washed the car with this)

Waffle weave towels to dry

Flex polisher

Menzerna power finish

Menzerna Micro Polish

Meguiars Ultra-cut 105

Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint protection

I have Green, Blue and Black 6" pads. I got all these pads because I have a white Benz too....so I can't even remember which pads should be used for which car.

I buffed a little area starting out with the blue pad and the swirl marks aren't coming out. So I'm figuring I'm doing something wrong.

I would just like to tips and make sure I use these products in the right order.

If someone could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it...
      04-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Which pad were you using and which polish? Looking at your list you seem to be missing an orange pad to use with the 105.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I used all three in one area to test with the 105. I could tell a huge difference with the black pad but still swirl marks.... Anyway, how SHOULD I do it with what I have?...assuming I never get an orange pad?.....or should I just get one and use that?

I guess I'll have to do it more than one time????
      04-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

wow......amateur with a FLEX working on a JET BLACK car. Jet black is NOT easy to work with...You got some balls man!

I'm not sure what brand of pads you got, but back when I use to detail my car, yellow pads were for extreme swirls, orange pads were for moderate swirls, and white pads were for light swirls/finishing.

Black/blue were for application of sealants.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
I used all three in one area to test with the 105. I could tell a huge difference with the black pad but still swirl marks.... Anyway, how SHOULD I do it with what I have?...assuming I never get an orange pad?.....or should I just get one and use that?

I guess I'll have to do it more than one time????
Black pad is for applying sealant/wax, of the 3 it actually should have done the least for you. Each pad is designed for a different purpose and they have different levels of "cut" you should really just get an orange pad, if you've spend this much money already you should at least be using the right pads. Don't waste your time using your current pads, it's just going to be a waste of time/product.

As the poster before me mentioned yellow is the most aggressive pad, then orange after that
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

I always mist my pads with either quick detailer or distilled water for a little lube. Rub the product on the panel with the pad with the machine off and work it in slow @ 600rpm then faster then slow again, but it depends on the product and how fast it is broken down. I found that helped minimize the splatter.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
OK...I ordered everything (I think) that I need to get my car done right.

I have horrible swirl marks.

I'm an amateur....as in I've NEVER done this before. But I'd really rather do this myself than pay someone. I guess because I actually like doing any work on my car.

I have read through many of the DIY threads for cleaning/detaling so I'm getting there as far as knowing what to do. I couldn't find an order of how to do this as far as what pads/polishes to use. But I just want to give a list of what I have and if someone can please tell me what order I should go in with the buffing. I ordered this stuff while I was in Germany about 6 months ago or more. I JUST now got it all together so I've forgotten the info detailedimage gave me. So here's the stuff..

Chemical guys Glossworkz (washed the car with this)

Waffle weave towels to dry

Flex polisher

Menzerna power finish

Menzerna Micro Polish

Meguiars Ultra-cut 105

Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint protection

I have Green, Blue and Black 6" pads. I got all these pads because I have a white Benz too....so I can't even remember which pads should be used for which car.

I buffed a little area starting out with the blue pad and the swirl marks aren't coming out. So I'm figuring I'm doing something wrong.

I would just like to tips and make sure I use these products in the right order.

If someone could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it...
Step away from the Flex and beg, borrow or steal a Porter Cable. As a beginner you will ruin your paint with a Flex.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Step away from the Flex and beg, borrow or steal a Porter Cable. As a beginner you will ruin your paint with a Flex.
this
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Is it possible to just give me advice and assume that this is what I'm stuck with, lol.....

Guess I'll go out and buy orange and yellow....
      04-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Is it possible to just give me advice and assume that this is what I'm stuck with, lol.....

Return it/cancel your order and get a PC.
      04-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Go work with a pro-detailer first. Seriously, the last thing you want is your entire clear coat stripped in areas.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Man, this detaling shit is way too complicated.....why can't it be more simple keeping your paint free of swirl marks in this day and age....

All I know is I spent all this money and I am going to one way or another do this myself and learn. If I completely screw up my paint, then I'll fork out the $$$ and get it re-painted.

As far as the flex....I thought I read that if it rotates...that is for the amateur??? Maybe that's a stupid question and all polishers rotate????

I know that detailedimage knew I was a beginner and from what I saw, this guy has a good rep on here....so I trusted him to buy what I needed..

So I really just wanted someone to look at my list and tell me what I should use for what...and maybe a quick synopsis of how I should do this? I see that I should get orange and yellow pads.

After I wash the car, do I use the 105 right away?
      04-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Man, this detaling shit is way too complicated.....why can't it be more simple keeping your paint free of swirl marks in this day and age....

All I know is I spent all this money and I am going to one way or another do this myself and learn. If I completely screw up my paint, then I'll fork out the $$$ and get it re-painted.

As far as the flex....I thought I read that if it rotates...that is for the amateur??? Maybe that's a stupid question and all polishers rotate????

I know that detailedimage knew I was a beginner and from what I saw, this guy has a good rep on here....so I trusted him to buy what I needed..

So I really just wanted someone to look at my list and tell me what I should use for what...and maybe a quick synopsis of how I should do this? I see that I should get orange and yellow pads.

Rotate is a tricky word

If it spins meaning measure in RPMs then you can burn your paint

If if occilates oscillates (OPM) then there is virtually zero risk of doing damage. The porter cable is an example here.

Which Flex polisher did you get? There are different ones and there's no reason you can't return it and get a porter cable instead. I think we're all for learning here, but learn using the right tools. Part of the learning curve here may be returning some of what you got and getting the right stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

How can he return the flex when it's been over 6 months? He probably has to stick with it unless he loses money by selling it to other people.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This is why I let the pros do it.

A rule of thumb which should always be followed by a novice is use the least aggressive combo first. I would recommend that you leave the yellow alone and start off with an orange pad with a light polish. If that doesn't work, move up to an orange with a compound.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry418 View Post
How can he return the flex when it's been over 6 months? He probably has to stick with it unless he loses money by selling it to other people.
Ah, sorry I missed that point, well it will still be important to see which flex he got. They make rotary tools as well which he could do some real damage with.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
dday
Captain
Rep

To the OP:

IF this is the Flex you have: http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...and14/246.html then here's what you'll want to do.

1. Pick up Orange pads

2. Wash your car

3. Clay your car

4. Wash your car again

5. Assuming your have swirls/light scratches start with orange pad and menzerna finishing polish on a 2x2 test area. If this doesn't work step up to 105 and orange pad. You want to try the least aggressive method you can to get the job done.

6. If you had to use the 105 follow up with the micro polish

7. wax or seal your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
That is exactly the flex I got. Sorry I didn't which one in the first place.

Thanks for those steps. That's what I was looking for.

I haven't done any research on claying though. Can you give me a quick run down of what that entails?

At the end when you say wax and seal...more detail please???
      04-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I haven't done any research on claying though. Can you give me a quick run down of what that entails?

Sure thing, claying is really easy. You need clay and clay lube, this kit is what I use:

http://detailersdomain.com/mm5/merch...oduct_Code=632

ONR makes a good cheap clay lube.

Here's a video of what you need to do:

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
TXe92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
To the OP:

IF this is the Flex you have: http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...and14/246.html then here's what you'll want to do.

1. Pick up Orange pads

2. Wash your car

3. Clay your car

4. Wash your car again

5. Assuming your have swirls/light scratches start with orange pad and menzerna finishing polish on a 2x2 test area. If this doesn't work step up to 105 and orange pad. You want to try the least aggressive method you can to get the job done.

6. If you had to use the 105 follow up with the micro polish

7. wax or seal your car.
This is where I run into issues.. Clary baring never seems to run smooth for me.. I always completly dried the car, and then just used the clay bar with a light mist of "quick deatiler" followed the DIY Youtube video submitted by Mcguiers...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXe92 View Post
This is where I run into issues.. Clary baring never seems to run smooth for me.. I always completly dried the car, and then just used the clay bar with a light mist of "quick deatiler" followed the DIY Youtube video submitted by Mcguiers...
What problems do you run into? The biggest problem people generally have is not using enough lube. If you feel your clay dragging then you aren't using enough lube. The reason I like ONR is it's really cheap when used as clay lube. When using detail spray I found I was using nearly half a bottle which felt like a waste.

Other than that I would say there's no reason to dry the car before clay, you're spraying clay lube on it anyways so no need to be perfectly dry. Second, make sure you're using fine clay, medium grade clay can be really grabby and I've never seen a need for it.

Quick Note: I'm not an expert and don't claim to be, though I've been detailing/claying my cars for about 15 years so I've picked up some tips here and there. Hopefully it's helpful to some.

Last edited by dday; 04-04-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:

If you got the orbital then you're fine.

You might want to go to your local junk yard to see if they have a JB door, hood or trunk that you can buy to practice on. They might even give it to you if it is banged up.
Appreciate 0