E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery registration issue Foxwell scanner

12-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #23
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

another thing that can happen if you take out the power cable from
the IBS and don't put it back in the same slot there may not
be blade/fuse in that slot and it won't get any power .
New Cars do not always come with a full complement of fuse/links
in the battery distribution block this has come up before.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #24
Mb1068
Rep
Drives: Bmw328i e93

I had similar issue with Foxwell nt530 .. when I tried to go into battery reg menu / I got errors for missing alternator,ibs etc. and could not register new battery. Indie had no problem to do with Autel scan tool. I think foxwell has issues reading data from the bit-serial bus that is used by ibs, water pump, alternator and a few other sensors. I’m assuming it is reading something from the dme / but not doing it correctly. The scanner is pretty good for a bunch of things, but not everything - but I can also use it (with software upgrade) on my other cars. I suppose getting a used pc, kcan cable and learning how to use the ipna software (or whatever that is called) is a better route to go - but not for
My daughter to use for remote diagnosis !
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 08:11 PM   #25
mm899
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
See below for THREE (3) separate Functions related to what is commonly MIS-referred to as "Battery Registration".

As for "Light Show" on Instrument Cluster and Wipers "Self-activating", almost certainly, you have an "Over-voltage" situation with engine running and alternator charging. If NOT corrected, you will damage your new battery, and you risk damaging Control Modules. The strange Warning Lights and Wiper activation are due to "Scrambled" Bus signals as a result of Over-voltage.

If you have a Scan Tool, or better yet, INPA or ISTA, that can read "Freeze Frame Data" related to Fault Codes, that would show system Voltage at the moment the Fault Code (particularly a communication fault) was saved in Module Fault Memory.

If your Scan Tool does NOT have that capability, a simple, cheap ($7 @ HFT/ $10 @ Amazon) can read system voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals under the Hood with motor running. You can also use "Hidden Menu 9.00" to view System Voltage on your Instrument Cluster, following procedure described:
https://www.carsaddiction.com/articl...er-hidden-menu

My SWAG is that, at least when Light Show begins on Instrument Cluster, you will see voltage in the 16V to 17V range (Motor Running). HOPEFULLY, you can correct that by simply replacing the Voltage Regulator on the rear of your Alternator ($33), instead of your entire Alternator ($300+), assuming you have stock Bosch 180-Amp Alternator:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BS-12317561939

As for "Battery Registration", here are the three things you CAN change using BMW Standard Tools, related to installation of a REPLACEMENT BATTERY:
1) "Batterietausch Registrien" = Register Replacement Battery: THAT can be done using INPA, ISTA, or many "Scan Tools". Using INPA, the Menu Sequence is: INPA > DME > F5 Status > F5 PM > F5 Register Replacement Battery. It SIMPLY enters the Mileage (NOT date) in km, as shown on Odometer, at the instant the button is pushed to "Register" the battery.
That is simply an Informational/ Text field that displays that mileage so a Tech can quickly see at what mileage/km battery was replaced (assuming "registration" done), without taking things apart in trunk to see stamp on battery that shows the date. It has NOTHING to do with HOW your new battery is charged. Totally INFORMATIONAL. HOWEVER, you should save the "Histogram" data described below BEFORE you "Register" replacement battery, as some devices/ software MAY reset Histogram as well as recording Odometer reading, and you should understand exactly what YOUR tool/software does (and let us know ;-).

2) Histogram Reset: This clears the Histogram. Using INPA: INPA > F5 > F5 > F6 Reset Histogram. The Histogram is a record of Battery State of Charge (SoC) and State of Health (SoH). The Last 5 Days of that Data are shown in "PM Infofeld 2" in the PM (Power Management) section of INPA > F5 Status > F5 Power Management.
The data changes every day, with "5 Tagen" (5 Days Ago) being deleted and New Current Value being added. So the Histogram is constantly being "Updated". There is also Historical data in "PM Infofeld 1" related to Hours at a certain % of total charge, and Minutes at a certain Battery Temp. That data is gathered by the IBS which measures Battery Voltage, and Battery Temperature.
What is IMPORTANT to remember is that if you do NOT do anything with INPA or a Scan Tool, to Reset Histogram, after 5 days, the data used to determine charging profile is over-written anyway, and you are where you would have been had you Reset Histogram. EXCEPT: you are now adding historical data for the new battery to that stored for the OLD battery, and at least SOME of the functionality of "PM Infofeld 1" is lost as a historical reference. Since you didn't know that existed or how to use it, NO LOSS

3) Battery Capacity: THIS is the one that matters -- IF you changed the Battery TYPE between FLA vs. AGM, OR you changed the Battery Capacity by 10 Ah (Amp-hours). IF you replaced the old battery with one of same type and within ~ 5 Ah the same Capacity, then NO change in "Battery Capacity" setting is needed.
Potential Problem: prior owner or tech may have replaced factory battery with one of different Type/Capacity and NOT changed the Capacity Setting. You CAN use INPA (or ISTA) to read current Battery Capacity Setting: INPA > DME > F5 > F5 > F3 PM Infofield 2 (Battery capacity in Ah).
INPA or ISTA+ CANNOT change the Battery Capacity Setting saved in the CAS Module. You CAN use NCS in BMW Standard Tools to do that. I have NO IDEA what Carly, Foxwell, or other Scan Tools can do. Consult your Documentation and/or product support.
George
Appreciate the awesome description George. Unfortunately, even replacing the voltage regulator in the alternator was not able to get rid of the trifecta of lights. I do know the alternator is working though, as the battery goes to ~14.3 V when I start the car. As far as battery registration goes, I have tried to register with Foxwell scanner, Carly, INPA and Tool 32. On Foxwell and Carly I get the error mentioned earlier in the thread. On INPA and Tool32 I get 'Error ECU conditions not correct or request sequence error'.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 02:09 PM   #26
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm899 View Post
... Unfortunately, even replacing the voltage regulator in the alternator was not able to get rid of the trifecta of lights. I do know the alternator is working though, as the battery goes to ~14.3 V when I start the car. As far as battery registration goes, I have tried to register with Foxwell scanner, Carly, INPA and Tool 32. On Foxwell and Carly I get the error mentioned earlier in the thread. On INPA and Tool32 I get 'Error ECU conditions not correct or request sequence error'.
If you have INPA, that provides the BEST diagnostics if you know HOW to use it. I understand you got an Error Message at some point using INPA, but without knowing WHAT Script (Function) you were trying to run, AND seeing a ScreenPrint of the Error Message. I would suggest:
(1) Refer to the attached pdf: "INPA Tutorial Quickstart",
(2) View, Save & Attach ScreenPrints of the Two "Functional Jobs" screens shown in the Tutorial:
a) Functional Jobs > F2 Identification: shows ALL Modules communicating;
b) Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules: shows all fault codes in ALL ~ 20 Modules in vehicle.

If you get an error message instead of the screens shown in the pdf, attach a ScreenPrint of the Error Message, AND indicate the "Menu Selection Sequence" which resulted in that Error Message. It's like having someone Connect Remotely to your computer, only safer (& SLOWER ;-).

That's just the FIRST Step in the Diagnosis Process, so please have patience & we'll ALL learn something together.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 59 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #27
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Best alternative to Inpa ista plus/d that is phone based and BMW
specific Bimmerprotool from bimmergeeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #28
kwaigonegin
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
The Foxwell NT 510 can register anew battery but it cannot change the AH or type of battery. There are menu options that suggest it has the ability to change AH and type but when you follow the menu options they dead end with a statement that you have to use ISTA.
4 years later and the N510 still can't register a diff battery type!!
Appreciate 0