E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > <SOLVED: VRSF failure> FBO N54 under-boosting, lag/surging, does log show ANYTHING?

04-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #23
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
Well in my case, the reason why I never contacted you regarding the issue with the VRSF inlets is because it took me a LONG time (well over a year) to figure it out. I had my turbos and inlets installed professionally as I simply do not have the time to do this job myself as I am in the medical field. I am even more busy nowadays thanks to everything thats going on right now, but let me share my story about why your inlets caused me a great deal of mental and financial agony:

I had all of the bolt ons on a stock turbo setup and a different brand of inlets for a long time but decided to jump the gun on a mildly used upgraded set of turbos with 5k miles. I placed an order on a aluminum set of relocated inlets and your downpipes (order number is 100048874) as I wanted brand new parts to accommodate my new turbo setup.

Here is a log on stock turbos and a different brand of inlets with a custom tune: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/bq-v2-l...og=0&data=4-21

As you can see, there is no issue here and its running good.

And here is my first log on upgraded turbos and vrsf inlets: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/rb-e45-...og=0&data=3-22

As you can see, its not holding boost whatsoever at high rpms and the wgdc shoots up as well. My tuner tells me that I have a boost leak. So I spent a lot of time and money chasing this 'boost leak' and doing repeated 3rd gear pulls to see if the new parts fixed it or not (they didn't). I did everything from doing smoke tests, pressurized tests, boost solenoids, etc and nothing fixed the issue. Then one day upon doing another 3rd gear run, I heard a loud bang and a LOT of white smoke started coming out of my exhaust. Turns out my rear turbo took a dump and I sent the turbos in to the manufacturer for an inspection, rebuild and have it upgraded to a larger wheel. I ate up the costs and figured maybe the USED turbos were the culprit of my issues.

Here is a log of my rebuilt turbos: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/ng?log=0&data=3-22

Wow!! Apparently, the issue still exists even with rebuilt turbos. You can probably guess that these turbos didn't last long either and blew up once again. I bought a brand new set of turbos and a different brand of inlets this time and once again, had it professionally installed..

https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/2nd-rev...=0&data=3-4-20

Eureka! Turns out your inlets was the main cause of my turbo problems starving them of air and blowing up. If my friend hadn't told me to try out a different brand of inlets, I would have still been in this crazy loop of chasing a 'boost leak' when in fact it was your inlets causing this issue. I'm not here to promote other competing brands, I'm just here to share my story of how your 200 dollar part was the main issue to cause me over 6k in damages for a malfunctioning part.
Lmfao.

The main cause of your mental and finacial strain stems from your inability to pop the hood and look at your turbos. Had you been able to shine a flashlight on the rear turbo, you would have seen the collapsed inlet.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #24
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Can you please tell us who installed these inlets? It's pretty obvious that the coupler is installed in the incorrect orientation which is exactly why you're experiencing that crimp in the coupler.

The couplers for each turbo are NOT interchangeable and they are unidirectional. You'll experience this exact issue if they're installed in the incorrect orientation or if the incorrect coupler is used on each turbo.

I apologize greatly for the inconvenience you've experienced but any installer worth their weight would NEVER have left that coupler kinked prior to giving you back the car. It's even more surprising that they did it twice. We have thousands of these in the wild successfully installed but the only difference between the successful installs and yours is the installer in question.

Please note that we could have easily resolved this issue for you if we were contacted when you began having these issues. The problem wouldn't have taken long to diagnose after a picture or two were taken.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 04-10-2020 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #25
cruizinmax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 Civic, 09 335i

Quote:
Well in my case, the reason why I never contacted you regarding the issue with the VRSF inlets is because it took me a LONG time (well over a year) to figure it out. I had my turbos and inlets installed professionally as I simply do not have the time to do this job myself as I am in the medical field. I am even more busy nowadays thanks to everything thats going on right now, but let me share my story about why your inlets caused me a great deal of mental and financial agony:

I had all of the bolt ons on a stock turbo setup and a different brand of inlets for a long time but decided to jump the gun on a mildly used upgraded set of turbos with 5k miles. I placed an order on a aluminum set of relocated inlets and your downpipes (order number is 100048874) as I wanted brand new parts to accommodate my new turbo setup.

Here is a log on stock turbos and a different brand of inlets with a custom tune: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/bq-v2-l...og=0&data=4-21

And here is my first log on upgraded turbos and vrsf inlets: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/rb-e45-...og=0&data=3-22

As you can see, its not holding boost whatsoever at high rpms and the wgdc shoots up as well. My tuner tells me that I have a boost leak. So I spent a lot of time and money chasing this 'boost leak' and doing repeated 3rd gear pulls to see if the new parts fixed it or not (they didn't). I did everything from doing smoke tests, pressurized tests, boost solenoids, etc and nothing fixed the issue. Then one day upon doing another 3rd gear run, I heard a loud bang and a LOT of white smoke started coming out of my exhaust. Turns out my rear turbo took a dump and I sent the turbos in to the manufacturer for an inspection, rebuild and have it upgraded to a larger wheel. I ate up the costs and figured maybe the USED turbos were the culprit of my issues.

Here is a log of my rebuilt turbos: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/ng?log=0&data=3-22

Wow!! Apparently, the issue still exists even with rebuilt turbos. You can probably guess that these turbos didn't last long either and blew up once again. I bought a brand new set of turbos and a different brand of inlets this time and once again, had it professionally installed..

https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/2nd-rev...=0&data=3-4-20

Eureka! Turns out your inlets was the main cause of my turbo problems starving them of air and blowing up. If my friend hadn't told me to try out a different brand of inlets, I would have still been in this crazy loop of chasing a 'boost leak' when in fact it was your inlets causing this issue. I'm not here to promote other competing brands, I'm just here to share my story of how your 200 dollar part was the main issue to cause me over 6k in damages for a malfunctioning part.
I feel like you should be more upset at the "mechanic" who wasted all your money. They sounded more like a parts replacer than someone who properly diagnosed and tested parts to determine if they were in need of replacement. You can't fall into the trap of replacing parts and calling it maintenance, which seems to be commonplace with this platform.
Appreciate 1
F13.KENN603.50
      04-11-2020, 02:25 AM   #26
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Why haven't we been contacted regarding this issue? We have literally thousands of these on the market and I personally have never been made aware of this problem at all. Please post your order info so we can assist.

All of our inlets are wire reinforced and it's almost impossible to create a bend in them unless they're forced excessively. They're wire reinforced to prevent collapsing under vacuum.

I find it comical that people with poor experiences in this thread either have 0 post history or end up this thread to promote a direct competitor which they advertise a bit too excessively.

Every major vendor on this forum sells VRSF parts and not one of them will agree with the libel spewed in this thread.

Here is a log on stock turbos and a different brand of inlets with a custom tune: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/bq-v2-l...&data=4-21

And here is my first log on upgraded turbos and vrsf inlets: https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/rb-e45-...&data=3-22

https://datazap.me/u/rnmevo9/2nd-rev...38;data=3-4-20

I could see being mad at vrsf over them kinking is valid but to be mad at them causing your turbos to fail is different. You installed aftermarket parts from a brand you havent used and then you get a problem with these new parts. Wouldnt you think the first step is to check these new parts that were installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #27
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHWARZ_E92 View Post
I could see being mad at vrsf over them kinking is valid but to be mad at them causing your turbos to fail is different. You installed aftermarket parts from a brand you havent used and then you get a problem with these new parts. Wouldnt you think the first step is to check these new parts that were installed?
You can't exactly blame the manufacturer over the fact that the part was installed incorrectly. If this was a legitimate problem with this kit, don't you think you'd have heard from hundreds of other members on these boards?

I do agree with you that this could have easily been resolved by having the client consult the manufacturer directly for support prior to assuming their installer was incapable of error.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #28
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i/2014 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
Quote:
You can't exactly blame the manufacturer over the fact that the part was installed incorrectly. If this was a legitimate problem with this kit, don't you think you'd have heard from hundreds of other members on these boards?

I do agree with you that this could have easily been resolved by having the client consult the manufacturer directly for support prior to assuming their installer was incapable of error.
since this is going on here i though i would ask the question...

i just recently installed the 1.75" oem inlets from you guys and they are working fine.... BUT am concern as you mention the clamps are uni-drectional. how to tell which clamp which side and which end? went to your site to check if there was documentation but didnt find anything. also there wasn't any paper work in the box to state it either.. let me know if there are any indications on the clamps so i can double check the work

car has only been on the road for less then 24hr since we completed the job. fyi i also have your race 7.5" intercooler and cones.
maybe a public answer will help everyone easy their minds.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #29
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The couplers are unidirectional, not the clamps
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #30
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i/2014 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
Quote:
The couplers are unidirectional, not the clamps
AH.. thank you.. sorry quick reading.. so basically ensure the couplers are put on correct via direction .. clamps are fine (lol)
Appreciate 0