E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bought a 2008 335i with frame rail damage

07-22-2020, 04:28 AM   #199
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
E90 Airbag modules do not store hard faults and can be cleared with INPA. To me the airbag you bought is fake.
Hmm interesting I will take the air bag out and examine it again. Although not really sure about inpa I just used the barvarian tech diagnostic scanner tool to try to erase the air bag codes. I think it's a hard code because everytime I cleared the codes it would come right back. I've heard that since my car was in a accident the air bag module holds that in its memory until reset. That's why it keeps coming back I heard. Tell me more about Inpa going to try that next probably
      07-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #200
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update #10 ? 11???

So progress has been slow, but today my after marker headlights came in the mail via fed ex. I've seen these headlights on someone's car on Instagram this is his page(@weven.n54) the headlights look very good. I still have to get a passenger side headlight bracket thou. They really look good and for the amount I paid it was money well spent.

Let me know what you guys think of the headlights ? Probably going to throw a adaptive headlight code but I'll get that coded out more then likely.
Attached Images

07-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #201
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update #13??

I got the headlights in looks good
Attached Images

07-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #202
sk1939
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335i XDrive

I like the look of the headlights, are they Xeon-based or LED?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #203
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1939 View Post
I like the look of the headlights, are they Xeon-based or LED?
They're xenon based just have to swap over adaptive motor from stock headlights
      07-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #204
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Coolant pipe just busted when I was trying to get a new tire today woohoooo
Attached Images

07-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #205
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightgodn54 View Post
You can upgrade to the aluminium flange piece and still reuse the old hose.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...024797ecs01~a/

Before you do anything trace that hose down and make sure no pieces of crumbled plastic are at the bottom.
You don't want that damaging your thermostat/water pump or getting stuck somewhere.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 07-29-2020 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:16 AM   #206
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
You can upgrade to the aluminium flange piece and still reuse the old hose.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...024797ecs01~a/

Before you do anything trace that hose down and make sure no pieces of crumbled plastic are at the bottom.
You don't want that damaging your thermostat/water pump or getting stuck somewhere.
Yea definitely going to get one of those. Also getting a csf upgraded radiator because I don't like this heat nor does any N54
      07-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #207
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Quote:
Yes this going to be dope once it's finished but I am aware that the frame is not going to be the same once it gets pulled and I'm going to be cautious about that forever. Your totally right about the frame work being done first because that's the main issue I'm just glad it's going to be taken care of this week, so I can move on to the other pesky issues the car has like the battery and the airbags.
If you get it pulled professionally and depending on the severity of the rail damage they're going to pull it to a point that matches an undamaged measurement using those special tools (I think tram-gauges). Meaning if its not too bad it can and will be pulled so the center of a bolt hole on the rail is at the position it needs to be in order for the frame/body to be square.

If it is pulled correctly you might only suffer some loss in crumple resistance as it would be a weak point in an impact (if slight crease remains in the rail).

With more serious damage they usually pull damaged area, grind out spot welds, remove section, find an undamaged clip, grind those spot welds, mount, reposition, measure then weld the new "spot welds" grind flush, bondo, primer and paint.

I only saw some old systems where they weren't using the tram gauges and computer so it wasn't as precise.

You've already got quite a bit done, great job! Keep it up!
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2020, 01:54 AM   #208
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I want your guys opinion before I start buying more parts for my 335. So as said I was driving to the tire shop on low speed tire shop is about 15 mins away. About 5 mins before I got there car was over heating. There was a parking space to put the car so I parked there lifted hood up to help cool. Then the I think it's t-stat to engine block hose ? It popped off and sprayed coolant a bit wasn't a lot sprayed but I think that's all there was left, hose was way too hot. could it be the coolant was bad ? It has been sitting for months at auction before I even bought it. Hopefully the coolant was just the issue going to buy ecs billet flange along with csf upgraded radiator
      08-01-2020, 06:42 AM   #209
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
I want your guys opinion before I start buying more parts for my 335. So as said I was driving to the tire shop on low speed tire shop is about 15 mins away. About 5 mins before I got there car was over heating. There was a parking space to put the car so I parked there lifted hood up to help cool. Then the I think it's t-stat to engine block hose ? It popped off and sprayed coolant a bit wasn't a lot sprayed but I think that's all there was left, hose was way too hot. could it be the coolant was bad ? It has been sitting for months at auction before I even bought it. Hopefully the coolant was just the issue going to buy ecs billet flange along with csf upgraded radiator
I can't imagine the coolant "was bad". I've had vehicles sit unused for a couple of years and the coolant was fine in them when I finally got around to getting them working again. The most likely cause of the problem is two-fold. First, the weak plastic fitting that attaches the rad hose to the engine. They are know to degrade and fail when you work around them. Second, the front impact your car received in the accident most likely weakened this fitting. From following this thread it appears that this is your first drive of any distance since you got the car. It is the first time that the engine has been at operating temperature for any length of time, if at all, since the impact which means that it is also probably the first time that the cooling system has been up to operating PRESSURE too. Its that operating pressure that probably caused the fitting to fail completely. Replace the fitting with the aluminum one, check around inside the hoses for any foreign debris before you hook things back up, refill with fresh coolant and purge the cooling system properly and I think you'll be fine.
I love that you are reviving this car. As has been said before, many would have left it or just parted it out. Keep posting updates.

PS: Where did you get your headlights? Can you send a link to them? Mine are fairly clear but they are weather cracked? along the top edge and I think I might replace them at some point.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #210
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Quote:
I can't imagine the coolant "was bad". I've had vehicles sit unused for a couple of years and the coolant was fine in them when I finally got around to getting them working again. The most likely cause of the problem is two-fold. First, the weak plastic fitting that attaches the rad hose to the engine. They are know to degrade and fail when you work around them. Second, the front impact your car received in the accident most likely weakened this fitting. From following this thread it appears that this is your first drive of any distance since you got the car. It is the first time that the engine has been at operating temperature for any length of time, if at all, since the impact which means that it is also probably the first time that the cooling system has been up to operating PRESSURE too. Its that operating pressure that probably caused the fitting to fail completely. Replace the fitting with the aluminum one, check around inside the hoses for any foreign debris before you hook things back up, refill with fresh coolant and purge the cooling system properly and I think you'll be fine.
I love that you are reviving this car. As has been said before, many would have left it or just parted it out. Keep posting updates.

PS: Where did you get your headlights? Can you send a link to them? Mine are fairly clear but they are weather cracked? along the top edge and I think I might replace them at some point.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163230083667

This is the headlights they sold as a pair they are full headlights. You have to use the original adaptive xenon motor and high beam bulbs. The bulb that had a big ass square for a base ? That one. I know the guys on here are going to roast me because it says eBay but oh well. As for the coolant issue I believe that you are right. I know coolant doesn't tend to get bad but I was thinking it had something to do with the amount of it was not right or something idk. anyways I'm looking forward to replacing that hose. Had to push getting it painted back further due to this but everything almost about finished. Also I'm getting a carbon fiber hood. I think
      08-02-2020, 01:58 AM   #211
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163230083667

This is the headlights they sold as a pair they are full headlights. You have to use the original adaptive xenon motor and high beam bulbs. The bulb that had a big ass square for a base ? That one. I know the guys on here are going to roast me because it says eBay but oh well. As for the coolant issue I believe that you are right. I know coolant doesn't tend to get bad but I was thinking it had something to do with the amount of it was not right or something idk. anyways I'm looking forward to replacing that hose. Had to push getting it painted back further due to this but everything almost about finished. Also I'm getting a carbon fiber hood. I think
Thanx for the link to the headlights. I'll check them out.
A carbon fibre hood?? Please tell me you are going to get it painted with the rest of the car. It's totally up to you but bare carbon fibre always looks unfinished in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #212
Boosted12a
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i x

Getting there!
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #213
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Replaced the coolant hose and went to get my tire replaced. Well I got the tire replaced and the car was smoking again. Something in this cooling system isn't right. This time I let it cool down and took it to my local Indy shop. Im tired
Attached Images

08-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #214
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok another note still waiting for my billet flange to come in the mail I don't know where the hell its at but it isn't here
      08-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #215
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok another note still waiting for my billet flange to come in the mail I don't know where the hell its at but it isn't here
I hope a broken piece didn't make its way into your cooling system and clogged something.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #216
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
I hope a broken piece didn't make its way into your cooling system and clogged something.
Me too ! I think the hose snapping off is collateral damage. I think something else is causing this issue. Hopefully my Indy shop can fix it. This is one of the last issues To go. Getting it painted this weekend regardless. This red color is hurting my eyes
      08-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #217
mightgodn54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update #15?

Indy shop called me a little while after I dropped the car off. They told me immediately that they drive it and turned the air on inside the car. Something about the thermostat they told me. Picked it up this morning and drive it home. Everything is fine all though the ac does make a loud sound but at least the car isn't over heating and I'll figure out why it's making that sound. Later on woo hoo
Attached Images

08-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #218
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

So now it's off to the paint shop, right? Post pics when it's done.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #219
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Indy shop called me a little while after I dropped the car off. They told me immediately that they drive it and turned the air on inside the car. Something about the thermostat they told me. Picked it up this morning and drive it home. Everything is fine all though the ac does make a loud sound but at least the car isn't over heating and I'll figure out why it's making that sound. Later on woo hoo

What's the update on the car? Any more progress?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #220
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Any updates?
Appreciate 0