E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Grounding cable?

11-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Grounding cable?

I tried running a search, but all I can find is one under the car...

While I was adding coolant I found this one not connected to anything... I did get a replacement transmission last year (so perhaps that mechanic forgot to put it back), and the ONE pic I found online where it was visible didn't show where it went (it makes a cameo here next to the lower left corner of the green arrow)...

Anyone know where exactly the other end is supposed to go? I skimmed the engine bay (as in I didn't remove the shroud) but didn't find anything. Thanks!
Attached Images

::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 11-19-2018 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary IMG tag... WTH, mobile app?!?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

It's a "Interference Suppression Band" and it goes next to that diamond-shaped plate near the Valve cover and above the exhaust manifold.

See this post for a better reference pic (though of a bad-looking one)
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...14&postcount=2
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
thanks for your reply, but even after I took off the valve cover I don't see it. Do you know where else it's attached to, or if I can jury rig it to go elsewhere?

I'm sure it's not a big deal since I've had the transmission almost a year ago and drove it for quite a while, but you never know if it's going to be either biting me on the ass later lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It suppresses ground loops, IIRC. Think of the old "ground control" cables (I think thats what they were called) that people (ok me too) would put on their engine in order to make the grounding as clear as possible so it would maximize the power and eliminate ground interference. Those things were usually a little more extensive, but I believe its the same theory. Your car would probably be fine without it as there are tons of people who's cable was corroded, and it didn't kill the car the way the issue with the negative terminal on the battery did.

That said, I will go look at my bay and see if I can take a picture. I think you may be missing a simple mounting plate.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh OK, interesting... Wonder if it has any bearings on fuel efficiency too, because the MPGs haven't been quite the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I will go look at my bay and see if I can take a picture.
Actually I don't think you'll need to do that... I looked at a few videos that dealt with valve gasket replacement, and it appears in one of them that the cable was connected to the diamond-looking thing (wish I can sound more intelligent by saying what part that is exactly, but I do have the screenshot). Thanks for your help though!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: I did happen to notice that it seems to want to shift faster and the car was a bit more responsive overall; it felt a bit jerky at first, but eventually it smoothed out and changed gears a little bit more readily, so that might indirectly contribute to better gas mileage.

Also on the freeway when I use cruise control, it will go to its programmed speed a bit better if I click it up to accelerate... Before, if I set it to say, 70, it'll hover to 75 for 10 seconds before it drops back down, but now it goes right to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think what you did probably has the same effect. I'm not sure or not if you're getting a placebo effect.

For reference, here's a pic of my bay in the same area (2011 E90 328i LCI Sedan)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0