Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Sorry, fitment question!!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
NenaEscarlata
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07' e92 coupe

Sorry, fitment question!!

Hi Everyone!

I have a '07 328i coupe with stock wheels. I'm ready to upgrade and make some changes. I'm looking at tire and wheel options but I'm not very knowledgeable about it all.

Questions:
1. I am looking at 19" atm, but I'm not sure if 20" looks better or worse? Will I have to modify anything to make either fit work, no rubbing, etc?
2. Can I stagger 20" on the back 19" on the front? What will I have to do to make this work?
3. I need to replace the front bumper due to damage, what do I have to look for as far as specs to make it work with the tire/wheel size? I wanted one larger than my stock bumper cover.
4. What does roll the lip mean? Sorry I keep seeing this, no idea what it means.
5. Any other advice about this before I purchase
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
dannyle27
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Garage List
Ahh... You got some searching to do man, but here are the basics.

1. I am looking at 19" atm, but I'm not sure if 20" looks better or worse? Will I have to modify anything to make either fit work, no rubbing, etc?

18's or 19's look great on our car. As you go up, the ride gets harsher due to tires getting thinner. 20's are a little too big in my opinion. I ride on 19's and its already a big compromise.

2. Can I stagger 20" on the back 19" on the front? What will I have to do to make this work?

You could... You'd have to make sure front and rear have the same rolling diameter. Idk about how it would affect performance since youd have somewhat meaty tire up front and basically no tire in the rear...

3. I need to replace the front bumper due to damage, what do I have to look for as far as specs to make it work with the tire/wheel size? I wanted one larger than my stock bumper cover.

Its not so much the front bumper that makes contact with the wheel. Its the bumper bracket. Decent offsets, you wont rub. If you take the bracket out, bumper corner will hang loose. It follows the curve of the fender, so I think all aftermarket bumpers (i.e. mtech) follows the same curves.

4. What does roll the lip mean? Sorry I keep seeing this, no idea what it means.
Look up 335i fender rolling. or any fender rolling at that... Its folding the metal that sticks out in your wheel well up so it doesnt hit your tires. Stick your hand between the car and the tire and youll feel a metal shelf that could make contact with your tire when you hit bumps.

5. Any other advice about this before I purchase

Id get a nice set of 19's or 18's with 335i offsets and some good tires and call it a day. Fitment problems can be a nightmare. If you go with 19 front/ 20 rear, youll have a very very hard time selling them if you dont like them.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
NenaEscarlata
Registered
Rep

Thanks so much, so 19' all around. I don't want to deal with a nightmare as a rookie lol. I can do 19 8.5F and 19 9.5R with no issues right?

The tires I'm just looking through the forums and seeing 235 and 255-275 in the back but I'm not sure about the other numbers, the offsets etc. It seems there is some variance on each post I see, but I don't know how those decisions are made. Like what you're sacrificing or gaining from 35 or 40 etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
UPWheels
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60

For a hassle free 19" staggered set, we recommend ET35 8.5" and ET33 9.5 setup with 235/35 and 265/30. Feel free to PM us for details on wheels or if you have any questions at all.

Sales @ UPWheels.com * Ph. 657.888.4UPW * FacebookDOTcom/UPWheels
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

20s will give you a really harsh ride due to the fact you will be pretty much riding on rubber bands.. Not to mention that they will be pretty heavy and you car's performance will suffer, especially on the 328..

I personally have 2 sets of 18s (one set for fall/winter and one set for spring/summer). 18s give you plenty of rubber so you don't have to worry about bending your wheels as much and they are MUCH lighter than 20s. Given you are in the DC area, where potholes and winter weather is common, I would HIGHLY suggest you either go with a two set option. Or just get one good set of 18s with some quality all season tries.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
NenaEscarlata
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
20s will give you a really harsh ride due to the fact you will be pretty much riding on rubber bands.. Not to mention that they will be pretty heavy and you car's performance will suffer, especially on the 328..

I personally have 2 sets of 18s (one set for fall/winter and one set for spring/summer). 18s give you plenty of rubber so you don't have to worry about bending your wheels as much and they are MUCH lighter than 20s. Given you are in the DC area, where potholes and winter weather is common, I would HIGHLY suggest you either go with a two set option. Or just get one good set of 18s with some quality all season tries.
Very good points on the potholes! Thank you for the advice. I'll look into the tire prices for two sets, was going to go for all season.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
PM'd!
      02-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
UPWheels
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenaEscarlata View Post
Thanks so much, so 19' all around. I don't want to deal with a nightmare as a rookie lol. I can do 19 8.5F and 19 9.5R with no issues right?

The tires I'm just looking through the forums and seeing 235 and 255-275 in the back but I'm not sure about the other numbers, the offsets etc. It seems there is some variance on each post I see, but I don't know how those decisions are made. Like what you're sacrificing or gaining from 35 or 40 etc.

To simplify it for ya, offset and wheel width determines how tucked your wheels will be in your wheel well, or how far they will stick out. Each vehicle model has a specific range of offsets it can accept. Every wheel should have a offset. With a few mods like suspension, camber plates, spacers, fender rolling, etc., you can customize how you want your wheels to sit/appear.

Feel free to PM us for further assistance.

Sales @ UPWheels.com * Ph. 657.888.4UPW * FacebookDOTcom/UPWheels
Appreciate 0