Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > OEM Rims cracked - Dilemma

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
sjdennis
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335is E93, '01 M Roadster

OEM Rims cracked - Dilemma

Hi All,
I have a 2011 335is with the stock 19" Style 225M wheels (still with CPO warranty). The right rear developed a slow leak and when I removed the wheel to look for the leak I was shocked to discover a series cracks on the inner lip. I removed the left rear and found the same thing. I removed the fronts and saw no cracks.

I thought this would be and easy call to the dealer to get remedied. The dealer says rims are not covered under CPO or otherwise unless you buy the special tire and wheel insurance from BMW. I went a few rounds with the SA and lost. I then called BMW NA and after a bloody battle, lost there as well.

I then called my auto insurance and am still waiting to see if they will cover them on my "collision" policy. Even if they cover them my I have $1k deductible so the most I could get is about $400 as the replacement are about $700ea.

So.... I'm debating with myself about replacing them and being worried they will crack again, or going with some aftermarket rims and paying even more out of pocket to buy a new set of 4. I'm also thinking maybe the runflat tires contribute to the stress cracks because they are so stiff, so I would go with non-runflat tires. My rears were in need of replacing anyhow but not the fronts. This simple leak repair has turned into a possible $2,500 expenditure for a good set of rims and 4 new tires.

Has anyone else had their rims cracked like this?

Thanks,
Dennis
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

225Ms are beautiful wheels but there are tons of stories of them cracking on here. You could always try to switch to non-runflat tires and have the cracks weld/repaired. Non-runflats and avoiding potholes could work...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
UPWheels
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60

There's many owners complaining about 225M wheels being easily damaged. Try looking for a single replacement wheel online and ditch the RFTs, plus avoiding potholes and debris on the roads. Or you can hit us up for a wheel and tire quote, since we do offer great deals. Just a thought. Good luck.

Sales @ UPWheels.com * Ph. 657.888.4UPW * FacebookDOTcom/UPWheels

Last edited by UPWheels; 02-11-2016 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

There was just a post on the forums yesterday about another member's Style 225's cracking.

If you wanna save a little bit of money and just get another Style 225, I could quote you one at a markdown price being that I work at BMW.

Also in the future I'd suggest going with Non-RFT's.

I went with PSS and they really do ride MUCH smoother than the crappy Bridgestone's that came with my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
sjdennis
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335is E93, '01 M Roadster

Thanks for all your input. My insurance stepped up and covered me minus my deductible. I ordered a pair of new rims with my BMWCCA discount and some Continental Extreme Contact DW tires from Tirerack. Should get them all on this weekend and be on my way again! Total out of pocket about $500.

Hopefully with the non-runflats the cracks won't come back.

Dennis
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

APEX wheels groupbuy! A few going on ATM
Good light,strong wheels (rotary forged). You could be done for much less.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

I have the same wheels with no issues, and previous tyres were runflats...
I think early year ones were problematic and BMW switched manufacturer.

Last owner may have hit something. Once I found a crack in a rear wheel on my old car, turned out the other wheel had a crack too so whatever happened, both took the same impact.
Only one crack in each so I had them fixed, but yours have multiple cracks so they're probably scrap now.

Maybe it's a good excuse to look for some nice aftermarket wheels.

You'll make a bit of money back by selling your fronts.
Appreciate 0