E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Putting back Ignitions Coils anf the VVT

10-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
greenberet123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Putting back Ignitions Coils anf the VVT

Finally finished my VCG change and am putting everything back. A few questions cropped up right at the end.

1. How deep should the ignition coils go. I just pushed it in with my hand as much as I could, but I'm not sure if it has to be forced down like I had to do with the sleeves. There is still a little gap between the rubber seal around it, and the valve cover surface, but it just doesn't go down any more.

2. According to the Pelican parts article, after installing the VVT we have to 1) Turn ignition on for 30 seconds and then turn off, and then repeat. 2) Use a BMW scan tool to relearn VVT positions. My question is ... why do we have to do both? What does the 30 second ignition step do? Does it not learn the stops as well? Also, can a Foxwell nt510 be used to relearn stops?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

1. Use the easily accessible coils to get a baseline for how far to expect to push. Eg cyl 1 or 2. I usually feed the electrical connector in whilst engaging the latch to ensure that is correctly locked in also (just as important). Then line up the point end with the slot and push firmly downwards.

2. Ignition on sets the initial end stops but a fault may still be logged, expecting you to run the service function to teach it in properly
Appreciate 0