E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > P0171 Will Not Go Away

01-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m4

P0171 Will Not Go Away

have a 2013 335i xdrive coupe N55. Has a charge pipe and catless downpipe. had a misfire issue on the car recently and had all 6 coils, plugs, and injectors replaced. After that I keep getting P0171(Bank 1 system too lean) already checked the coding on the injectors and cleared the adaptations and still getting the code. The new injectors are the only thing that has changed on the vehicle before the code started. All of the new injectors have the number 215 on them are thats what the ecu has coded on it. Took a look at the old injectors to see what the numbers were and they were almost all different.

New injectors-All 215

Old injectors
1-219
2-219
3-277
4-204
5-247
6-241

Does have anything to do with anything or am I looking too much into the injectors having been changed.

Whats been done:
Injectors recoded and adaptations cleared
new maf sensor
new precat o2 sensor
smoke tested for 20 minutes straight not one leak.
pcv is good

Any other ideas please chime in. Thanks in advance

***UPDATE: PROBLEM FINALLY FIXED***
So after a lot of checking we finally narrowed it down to two things and not 100% sure which of the two actually was the problem. The mechanic ended up finding out that the injectors that the other shop put in the car were EU6 when my car needed EU5. So we switched those out. also I had the o2 simulator on the car before and when I put the wires back I soldered them and he said that may have been reading wrong and throwing the lean code even though it says only the precat being faulty would affect it. So I cut the wires to a clean portion and repinned the clean wire to the connector and code is gone. I wanna say it was the injectors because when I got the car from the mechanic the code was cleared and never came back. Just happy the car is good now. Same night threw the jb4 back in and will be back on e30 soon lol. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited by Slowdr1v3r; 02-15-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

You have a new MAF sensor, which would be my first check. Ensure it is seated properly (though I know you did a smoke test, it wouldn't hurt). Are there any other adaptations that could be tangentially related to being affected by a brand new MAF sensor that need to be reset?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

I have never seen injectors having same code.. that's weird where did u buy them
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
You have a new MAF sensor, which would be my first check. Ensure it is seated properly (though I know you did a smoke test, it wouldn't hurt). Are there any other adaptations that could be tangentially related to being affected by a brand new MAF sensor that need to be reset?
Not that I know of. I Told the shop that coded the injectors for me and he didn’t mention anything about it. I’m not too sure. But it was definitely seated properly
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:02 AM   #5
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
I have never seen injectors having same code.. that's weird where did u buy them
The shop I had taken the car to prior to this one sourced them and installed them. They said they were new. Everything on looked new. (Fittings and numbers). Is it bad that they have the same numbers?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I got a same persistent code. Subbed for info.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowdr1v3r View Post
The shop I had taken the car to prior to this one sourced them and installed them. They said they were new. Everything on looked new. (Fittings and numbers). Is it bad that they have the same numbers?
Not bad but weird because the system is designed for u to be able to adjust each injector. When I installed mine they were all different. Did u see the numbers urself or relying on someone else's info ?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not bad but weird because the system is designed for u to be able to adjust each injector. When I installed mine they were all different. Did u see the numbers urself or relying on someone else's info ?
Was relying on someone else but verified them yesterday. All are 215s and the number in the circle is 060 not sure if that matters or not. And I saw the mechanic as he was coding them in ista. All are set to 215. I asked if there was any way to richen them but he said no. He just puts the value of the injector and that’s it. But what throws me off is when I first brought the car over from the other shop(long story) that installed the injectors he said the coding was very rich. Does the higher number you put in change the flow?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Was relying on someone else but verified them yesterday. All are 215s and the number in the circle is 060 not sure if that matters or not. And I saw the mechanic as he was coding them in ista. All are set to 215. I asked if there was any way to richen them but he said no. He just puts the value of the injector and that’s it. But what throws me off is when I first brought the car over from the other shop(long story) that installed the injectors he said the coding was very rich. Does the higher number you put in change the flow?
Yes the number changes the flow. Usually they are all different a bit.

Have them re enter.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #10
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes the number changes the flow. Usually they are all different a bit.

Have them re enter.
What would be a good number to code them to? or do you know of anywhere where they have a chart of what each value equals to as far the flow? Also if I recoded them to the values of the old injectors would they start to flow improperly?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The odds that all 6 new injectors have the same identical flow rate are astronomical. I would be highly suspicious of the authenticity of 6 new injectors all having the same calibration numbers. Also, there are two injector numbers that need to be entered into INPA for calibration, Energy and Flow. See image below for an example.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Yes that's what I am saying but it's not like I have replaced millions to know. I only did 6 for my car. All were quite different. Ranging from 170-200s

I used Bosch injectors. They have been amazing. FCP euro.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
The odds that all 6 new injectors have the same identical flow rate are astronomical. I would be highly suspicious of the authenticity of 6 new injectors all having the same calibration numbers. Also, there are two injector numbers that need to be entered into INPA for calibration, Energy and Flow. See image below for an example.

Illl try to take a look at all the numbers see what is different. I just made sure to look at the 215 and the 060 in the circle because they stood out. Now would it be better to take my car to a shop or person that uses inpa instead of ista since you can only put that one value? Or should I just bite the bullet and take it to BMW and let them diagnose it? I dont have access to any coding program and the mechanic is good but have been waiting for 2-3 weeks already to even drop the car off and he was already talking about a main seal blah blah. I just feel like he would be searching for an issue thats not there.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #14
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Ill tell u what i would do. I did this work and had no problems. I used ISTA to code. I would return the injectors if u can. Buy from fcp euro and do it urself. Not hard ull save thousand dollars.. for a very easy diy.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ill tell u what i would do. I did this work and had no problems. I used ISTA to code. I would return the injectors if u can. Buy from fcp euro and do it urself. Not hard ull save thousand dollars.. for a very easy diy.
Im sure they are not gonna let me return the injectors. They play too many games over there. Long story. They ended up charging me 1500$ to not resolve another issue that I had with the car and they told me when I picked up the car that the head was no good so im skeptical to even take it back to them to see if they can resolve the issue. I want to get ista and inpa and start coding myself but the more I looked into it the more horror stories I kept running into. Also forgot to mention this in the OP but when its very cold out the idle is terrible. Rpms drop like crazy and car sounds like its about to shut off (sometimes it does) then after about 10-20 seconds it starts to idle normal. But cold start sounds nothing like it used to.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:23 AM   #16
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is there an adjustment for cold start? And would a setting in there be leaning it out and causing the code? I really don’t think it’s running lean when driving because I’ve noticed the car does burble a tiny bit now and it never used to and if I’m not mistaken that’s caused by the car running rich no?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:47 AM   #17
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
have a 2013 335i xdrive coupe N55. Has a charge pipe and catless downpipe. had a misfire issue on the car recently and had all 6 coils, plugs, and injectors replaced. After that I keep getting P0171(Bank 1 system too lean) already checked the coding on the injectors and cleared the adaptations and still getting the code. The new injectors are the only thing that has changed on the vehicle before the code started. All of the new injectors have the number 215 on them are thats what the ecu has coded on it. Took a look at the old injectors to see what the numbers were and they were almost all different.

New injectors-All 215

Old injectors
1-219
2-219
3-277
4-204
5-247
6-241

Does have anything to do with anything or am I looking too much into the injectors having been changed.

Whats been done:
Injectors recoded and adaptations cleared
new maf sensor
new precat o2 sensor
smoke tested for 20 minutes straight not one leak.
pcv is good

Any other ideas please chime in. Thanks in advance
From ISTA+:
- Check: Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter, hot film air mass meter, intake-manifold pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, throttle valve, tank vent valve, camshaft sensor, high-pressure fuel system, low-pressure fuel system
- Check air intake system for leaks (checking the following components in the process: Crankcase breather, oil filler cap, dipstick, air-vapour elimination, brake servo, cylinder head cover)
- Check exhaust system for leaks.
- Replace injectors

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:48 AM   #18
Kev0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92

Quote:
Is there an adjustment for cold start? And would a setting in there be leaning it out and causing the code? I really don’t think it’s running lean when driving because I’ve noticed the car does burble a tiny bit now and it never used to and if I’m not mistaken that’s caused by the car running rich no?
After getting your injectors issue sorted out and if the problems persist with the car, I would get the HPFP checked after with the symptoms you mentioned. I had the same problems like yours with that code and misfires/cold starts, etc. The mechanic thought the injectors was the culprit and was ready to replace them but then he wanted to rule out the HPFP so he collected data from my HPFP and another HPFP from an N55 that was also in his shop. He compared data and determined that I had a bad HPFP. He was so positive that if it wasn't the HPFP, he wouldn't charge me for it. So after the new HPFP, the codes disappeared (been driving with the code for a year) and no more misfires/misfire cold start. How many miles is on the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #19
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
From ISTA+:
- Check: Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter, hot film air mass meter, intake-manifold pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, throttle valve, tank vent valve, camshaft sensor, high-pressure fuel system, low-pressure fuel system
- Check air intake system for leaks (checking the following components in the process: Crankcase breather, oil filler cap, dipstick, air-vapour elimination, brake servo, cylinder head cover)
- Check exhaust system for leaks.
- Replace injectors
I do not have ISTA so all the ISTA related checks were done at the mechanics convenience. Had done multiple smoke tests and nothing. But finally got the issue fixed. Thank you very much for the help though. really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #20
Slowdr1v3r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0 View Post
After getting your injectors issue sorted out and if the problems persist with the car, I would get the HPFP checked after with the symptoms you mentioned. I had the same problems like yours with that code and misfires/cold starts, etc. The mechanic thought the injectors was the culprit and was ready to replace them but then he wanted to rule out the HPFP so he collected data from my HPFP and another HPFP from an N55 that was also in his shop. He compared data and determined that I had a bad HPFP. He was so positive that if it wasn't the HPFP, he wouldn't charge me for it. So after the new HPFP, the codes disappeared (been driving with the code for a year) and no more misfires/misfire cold start. How many miles is on the car?
Checked the pumps and the pressure or readings were good from both. just broke 69k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #21
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Yes that's what I am saying but it's not like I have replaced millions to know. I only did 6 for my car. All were quite different. Ranging from 170-200s

I used Bosch injectors. They have been amazing. FCP euro.
Hey how much you paid I suppose like ~ 1500$ CAD?

You having a 2011 meant you had index 8s before?

Also any reason why you had to change all 6 at once?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #22
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey how much you paid I suppose like ~ 1500$ CAD?

You having a 2011 meant you had index 8s before?

Also any reason why you had to change all 6 at once?
No N55 injectors are different. They are BOSCH OEM called EU5.

Thats what i replaced ithey are like 600 dollars.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13537568607kt

what i bought. Amazing performance. been installed for a year now.

BMW gets them from bosch too because even on BMW genuine ones i removed u see the bosch logo.

If i want to replace them for free again for new ones i can thanks to FCP euro..

N54 injectors are pizzo electric i think the n55 are solenoid. they work different.
Appreciate 0