E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > LIQUI MOLY Pro-Line Diesel Intake System Cleaner

04-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #23
cm335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Guys, I used this stuff on my 2011 335d a few months back. It caused my car to throw many codes, most of which went away when a DPF regen occurred. I blame this crap on my EGT sensor #3 failing (it got caked up with gummy soot), and clogging of my urea injector. When I pulled off the urea injector, expecting it to be crystalized urea, it was actually some hard crusty soot looking muck.
I contacted Liqui-moly and asked them if their product could cause the problems I was experiencing. Keep in mind, my car did not have an EGT code, nor a diesel particulate filter related code before I used the product. They explained to me that they had tested, blah blah blah, and it could never do that IF used properly, blah blah. Nevertheless, not even an offer to refund the purchase price (this crap is expensive), or maybe send a couple cases of oil (I do like their oils and diesel purge), or even just a simple 'hey, sorry it happened, we'll look in to it'.
Needless to say, please don't waste your money on this stuff, just knuckle under and do the walnut blast and get it over with. That's what I'll be doing soon.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #24
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Additive peddlers and true believers won't talk much if at all about possible negative effects.

At around 25,000 miles, I used a diesel fuel version of Stab-il additive, which also boasted cleaning power etc., on my 2011 335d. I was storing the car for a couple of weeks and wanted to be a good soldier.

The stuff must have let loose some gunk that promptly fried my catalytic converters (the exhaust started spewing yellow/green stuff). The car needed both cats replaced as well as NOx sensors under warranty. Researching it, I thought that the cats were overwhelmed and therefore overheated and destroyed.

PL
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #25
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Additive peddlers and true believers won't talk much if at all about possible negative effects.

At around 25,000 miles, I used a diesel fuel version of Stab-il additive, which also boasted cleaning power etc., on my 2011 335d. I was storing the car for a couple of weeks and wanted to be a good soldier.

The stuff must have let loose some gunk that promptly fried my catalytic converters (the exhaust started spewing yellow/green stuff). The car needed both cats replaced as well as NOx sensors under warranty. Researching it, I thought that the cats were overwhelmed and therefore overheated and destroyed.

PL
Unlikely it had anything to do with stabil. Never used that stuff, but unless your injectors were spewing unburnt fuel, not sure how fuel additive caused the issue...sounds like scr system went bad. Dealers are know for replacing crap that's not bad. So are you saying they replaced your whole exhaust, turbo-back? DPF and SCR? That's wild
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #26
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Unlikely it had anything to do with stabil. Never used that stuff, but unless your injectors were spewing unburnt fuel, not sure how fuel additive caused the issue...sounds like scr system went bad. Dealers are know for replacing crap that's not bad. So are you saying they replaced your whole exhaust, turbo-back? DPF and SCR? That's wild
As I recall, they replaced the catalytic converters and the NOx sensors.

I started driving it harder after that, thinking it needed some Italian tune-up action on CBU, but it was too close to the use of the additive to feel like just a coincidence....

PL
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:59 AM   #27
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm interested in this stuff. I do not have to worry about the DPF or SCR with the car I'm intending to use this on.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 03:31 PM   #28
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

I don't use this particular additive but something else also made by liqui moly and it supposedly cleans the whole fuel system.

What i noticed is that DPF regen is much less frequent & i don't have to go to forced regen drives with my laptop anymore (short trips).

My experience with Liqui Moly additives is very positive. It actually solved my DPF issues. That is mostly likely caused by the junk diesel most stations sell.

The only logical explanation is that combustion is much cleaner and less soot is produced. Possibly it also increases EGT which helps DPF work more efficient.
Which in turn means less fuel is needed to preserve same power output & less times car will retard timing to activate DPF burning process that is wasting fuel.

I used 2T mineral oil in my old TDI 1.9 car and it always created confusion in the MOT when they though the measuring machine is broken as an old 1999 year car can't have soot parameter of less than 0.2.

Without 2T mineral oil it would be something between 0.7 and 1.5 & also it lubricated the whole fueling pumps and totally eliminated the fuel pump metal shaving issue that would eventually ruin the injectors because of the low sulphur we have in the fuel.

So in my area fuel sold is crap and additives definitely help.

I just don't know if i dare to use 2T oil in M57 with DPF since 2T might have ash. Need to find a product that doesn't have Zinc in it as Zinc damages DPF.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 03-11-2024 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 1