E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Ticking/ knocking from engine that comes and goes

02-18-2024, 08:48 PM   #1
bw39540
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Ticking/ knocking from engine that comes and goes

Just a couple days ago I picked up a 2011 335d with just 122,000 miles. In the 2 days since it’s seemed to develop a rather loud ticking noise that sounds to be coming from the top of the engine. It’s a tick/ knock that is regular in frequency but it changes slightly in pitch. The RPMs also seem to sometimes fluctuate just barely, but not always. What’s odd is that the sound will be there, and then all of a sudden, it’s gone, and the engine sounds nearly as smooth as a gasser. After buying this car (couldn’t have been before, of course) I’ve found posts talking about rod bearing failures and destroyed engines… it’s got me pretty nervous. The engine has very good service history and just had its vcg replaced but emissions equipment is all still there and the state of the harmonic balancer is a question mark for me thus far. I also believe engine mounts are in short order but they’re definitely not causing this tick. I’m going to try my best to figure out how to attach a YouTube video and post it
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 08:53 PM   #2
bw39540
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

https://youtube.com/shorts/I1B1ey9UK...edGAxcfPA6Tsja
Here is a link to YouTube. Aside from the occasional slight roughness at idle the engine feels VERY potent and healthy, just doesn’t sound it. I took a look at the oil filter and didn’t see and glaring peices of metal, but the dark oil made it difficult to see.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:17 AM   #3
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

Doesn't sound bad in video. Could be vac pump....an injector......dampener. Need a stethoscope and listen to each inj and the vac pump. then remove the belt see if it gets better. With no glitter in oil its not bearings. Good luck
Appreciate 2