E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > $60 Angel Eye Upgrade

Closed Thread

04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #221
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post

All of these power supplies act in the same exact way in that they do not compensate for the dimming that the headlights do, so therefor them also dim the same way the stock angel eyes do. When you turn the headlights on these dim to about 1/3 total brightness. To prove its true look at the angel eyes through your cell phone camera or any other camera.... you will see they are strobing or flashing. That's because they are only on 1/3 of the time. They do this at such a high frequency that you cant see from your eye, but any camera can pick this up

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion that everyone is talking about when comparing all the knock-off brands out there.
i actually like AEs that dim with the headlights. i'm sure your lights are very very good, but dimming is something i want.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #222
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 Escalade, '07 530 xiT

Quote:
I just want o put out a bit of information here to help people.....
So you can honestly tell me with a straight face that LUX AEs are THREE TIMES better than all these "knock-offs" from China???
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #223
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

OMFG

I have LUX LED and are very nice, these bad boys are slightly identical in brightness ... Man wish I would have seen this thread earlier... But having a different pair as back up isn't bad at all... But lesson learn I AM NEVER spending hundreds on LED bulbs again...especially for similar light output, with heat sinker, and good wire harness.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #224
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

LUX are great, but the small difference in the brightness of the outside circle is not worth the large difference in price. Good thing I could see the LUX in person and compare with the eBay ones before I decided. But for those who want best of the best and money is not an issue, go ahead and get the LUX.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #225
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
i actually like AEs that dim with the headlights. i'm sure your lights are very very good, but dimming is something i want.
I agree - the reason the OEM ones do it is for the sake of other drivers at night.
      04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #226
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
So you can honestly tell me with a straight face that LUX AEs are THREE TIMES better than all these "knock-offs" from China???
After looking at the electronics they are using in their power supplies - Yes. The electronics are cheep components that are not fault tolerant, do not protect against voltage spikes, are not fuses, and are hand soldered into place versus machine placed. I'm sorry to say but I'm just waiting for the day that one of these blows up.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #227
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
So the guy said my package got lost and issued me a refund. i dont think im gonna try to buy another set from him. hmmm but im really looking to get a new set of AEs since one of my H8s is out. are there any other AEs that are both inexpensive and bright? maybe ill have to settle for gp thunders.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #228
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Hey all, so here is my story.
I posted on this thread like post 3.

1. Had a 03 M3.
Put bmwled.net AE Rings. on it in June 2012...,wow I was impressed day or night. I am in Vancouver BC.
Rains a lot here.
This rings you could see them 100 yards out easy in bright sunlight.
But they maintained there ring shape, not stupid bright that you didn't need head lights.

Sept 2012 sold the m3.
Got a 2007 335i sedan.

Put the 10watt AE and fog light LEDs.
Yes, I had to modify like the OP stated, but still strong, and still working from day 1.
No issues.

The only issue I have, and I heard that this is with all LEDs on my car.
During start up. The AEs and fog LEDs flicker on off 4-12 times.
That is your car's FRM trying to check the circuitry.
I coded that out, problem solved.

I am assuming all after market LEDs do that.

As far as hand soldered jobs, I strongly doubt that

I just can't justify spending 300+ on LUX or equivalent on 2 Bulbs only...wtf.
If they were maybe 90.00.
I would consider them, and I am sure others will say, that 90 compared to 60, is worth the slightly brighter AEs.
But anything more.... No way.

The best part of bmwled.net.
Ordered via PayPal on wed at 7:00pm.
Got the Friday noon.
Installed them Saturday....yeahhhh.

Just my 2 cents
DN
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #229
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Mine did the same thing. He claimed that USPS "lost them" even though it showed they never moved. Then sent me an email 4 days straight asking if I wanted another set sent or a refund. Even though I answered the email each time he still asked me 4 days straight. Sent me another set a week later. I think they were just out of stock at the time and just generating tracking numbers giving the appearance they were shipping.
They can only collect money if the product "ships". by generating the label, he can process the credit card. Its shady, but a lot of small companies do that.
      04-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #230
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 Escalade, '07 530 xiT

Quote:
After looking at the electronics they are using in their power supplies - Yes. The electronics are cheep components that are not fault tolerant, do not protect against voltage spikes, are not fuses, and are hand soldered into place versus machine placed. I'm sorry to say but I'm just waiting for the day that one of these blows up.
Lux $230:

BMW-Led $60 - $70:

Hmmmmmmmmm....

Come on guys, they're LIGHT BULBS!!! Admit it, you're charging triple the price because people pay it, not because they're honestly worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #231
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Admit it, you're charging triple the price because people pay it, not because they're honestly worth it.
whoa, take it easy man. its not like theyre a scam. theres a demand for lux at that price, and thats what theyll sell it at.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #232
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Hey all, so here is my story.
I posted on this thread like post 3.

1. Had a 03 M3.
Put bmwled.net AE Rings. on it in June 2012...,wow I was impressed day or night. I am in Vancouver BC.
Rains a lot here.
This rings you could see them 100 yards out easy in bright sunlight.
But they maintained there ring shape, not stupid bright that you didn't need head lights.

Sept 2012 sold the m3.
Got a 2007 335i sedan.

Put the 10watt AE and fog light LEDs.
Yes, I had to modify like the OP stated, but still strong, and still working from day 1.
No issues.

The only issue I have, and I heard that this is with all LEDs on my car.
During start up. The AEs and fog LEDs flicker on off 4-12 times.
That is your car's FRM trying to check the circuitry.
I coded that out, problem solved.

I am assuming all after market LEDs do that.

As far as hand soldered jobs, I strongly doubt that

I just can't justify spending 300+ on LUX or equivalent on 2 Bulbs only...wtf.
If they were maybe 90.00.
I would consider them, and I am sure others will say, that 90 compared to 60, is worth the slightly brighter AEs.
But anything more.... No way.

The best part of bmwled.net.
Ordered via PayPal on wed at 7:00pm.
Got the Friday noon.
Installed them Saturday....yeahhhh.

Just my 2 cents
DN
The flickering issue is very common.

The cause (I believe): LED uses less power then OEM yellow bulbs. Whenever you turn on the car- the car does a self check and sends a little bit of power to each bulb to make sure the bulb is not burnt, for the oem bulbs this is not enough power to actually light it up, however since you now have LED it is enough power to quickly light up. This is also shown when people get LED license plate bulbs - those flicker too on start up.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #233
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lux $230:

BMW-Led $60 - $70:

Hmmmmmmmmm....

Come on guys, they're LIGHT BULBS!!! Admit it, you're charging triple the price because people pay it, not because they're honestly worth it.
That M3 looks sooooooooo good
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #234
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Lux $230:

Hmmmmmmmmm....

To be totally fair you are comparing two completely different sets of Angel Eyes. The E90s tend to respond better to drop in LED solutions vs the E92 headlights. So those two pictures are not a fair comparison.

I agree though, spending $230 on bulbs sourced from the same suppliers as the ones on sale for $60 is silly. If you charge a premium price you will need to demonstrate some premium features in your product.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #235
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerometer View Post
If you charge a premium price you will need to demonstrate some premium features in your product.
There are lots and lots of cases where that's just totally untrue. Jeans jump to mind. As has been pointed out, people will buy them for >$200, so they might as well sell them at that price.

I think in this case, though, it's less the brand recognition and more the confidence. For $230, you KNOW what you're getting, and you know that everyone likes them. For $60, the early adopters are taking a plunge. If they turn out crappy, you're out $290 instead of $260, and it seems lots of people on here just don't want to be bothered with the hassle - take the sure thing for higher cost.

That'll probably change now that there are some positive reviews of the cheaper option.
      04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #236
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lux $230:

BMW-Led $60 - $70:

Hmmmmmmmmm....

You are comparing 2 different cars and different headlights so its like comparing apples to oranges here
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #237
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

I have a 2009 328i LCI with Xenons and been looking everywhere to find the LEDs under 100$ (preferably 4x LEDs version.)

Which ones WILL dim when unlocking the car. I heard some won't dim like the Halogens.

Secondly, I've been searching everywhere on the web and can't seem to find the right place to change these bulbs. Some say behind the fender trim, some right behind the light housing and some on top of the light housing. I just don't feel like jacking my car up and realizing I could have had access to it right from the engine bay.

Many have posted videos or pictures of LCI E90s and I have yet to find out like mine.

I'm sorry for the new question guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #238
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post
I have a 2009 328i LCI with Xenons and been looking everywhere to find the LEDs under 100$ (preferably 4x LEDs version.)
This will require you to pull your headlights apart and replace the rings if you are looking to go full LED rings (x4). I would suggest the $69 option for now.

Which ones WILL dim when unlocking the car. I heard some won't dim like the Halogens.
I believe these dim, but it happens so quickly that you hardly notice and shouldnt be a selling feature.

Secondly, I've been searching everywhere on the web and can't seem to find the right place to change these bulbs. Some say behind the fender trim, some right behind the light housing and some on top of the light housing. I just don't feel like jacking my car up and realizing I could have had access to it right from the engine bay.
It is a plastic round cap behind the headlight. You can access this from under the hood. Just need small hands and some patience.

Many have posted videos or pictures of LCI E90s and I have yet to find out like mine.
I have posted mine in the comparison thread towards the end of the thread. I used $10 GP thunders for now. I may get these BMWLED versions. Because of the Sunlight color temperature and the design of the AEs, the white color does not show up as easily for ANY of these drop in solutions. You must go full LED rings, like OSS or 180

I'm sorry for the new question guys.
i have commented in bold italics. Hope that helps
      04-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #239
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
i have commented in bold italics. Hope that helps
You did and I appreciate it very much. I had to change them fast and was without day times since Sunday. I went to my local bimmer garage and swapped my halogen for 20$. This will give me more time to order in the LEDs from the US. Now I don't mind waiting so much a couple of weeks.

Thanks wdeerfield.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #240
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
another set is shipping to me. i'll see how they turn out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #241
Artemis335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

So I bought the led markers for the e92 to test it out which are these ones

They have fast shipping and arrived in 3 business days. I was excited to finally be able to change my AEs to white. Tried installing them and was unable to since it would not fit. Big hands, and huge led marker so I went to get them professionally installed. After they got them in, one of the led markers did not work properly. On one of them, out of the four lights that are suppose to illuminate only one of them worked. So I had them removed, contacted them through their website via text which they then prompted me to email them the problem with pictures. The very next day, they sent me a replacement for the defective product.

3 days later I got them. Upon opening the shipment what I got were one these
http://www.bmwled.net/h820wattsledangeleyeshalobulbs (Sorry image would not load).

So now I have a pair that were not a match. I then contacted them again via text regarding the problem and they were on it right away. They asked me which one fits in my car and which one to send me. Seeing as the replacement they sent me has better quality on the AEs and I was able to install myself since it was not as big as the first one, I chose the second one. Immediately within 10 min of texting this info they sent me a confirmation that I was going to get another replacement.

After two days I received them and finally got them to work! For the price I cant complain. During the day time the inner rings are visible with the outer rings somewhat visible depending on the angle you are looking at. At night it looks really nice all rings light up really well.

All in all despite the trouble I went through, I am still happy with them. The price is awesome for how it looks, and their awesome customer service which took care of all the troubles. It is nice to know that I can count on them for when I have problems with their product.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #242
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

order mine for E92 yesterday and got tracking today.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread