E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Slamming an XI (spring rate help)

11-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
illeste9x
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Slamming an XI (spring rate help)

I think i have figured out how to slam an XI, i am just nervous about the max spring rates my coilovers can run. I have talked to H&R (i am using their coilovers) and they say that 5k/7k is the max spring rates their coilovers can handle. I am worried that the spring rates are too low for a slammed car. Any input?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by illeste9x View Post
I think i have figured out how to slam an XI, i am just nervous about the max spring rates my coilovers can run. I have talked to H&R (i am using their coilovers) and they say that 5k/7k is the max spring rates their coilovers can handle. I am worried that the spring rates are too low for a slammed car. Any input?

Thank you
Having a slammed car with 500/700 would be hell. I wouldn't even go that high to be honest. The only reason people get higher spring rates is to improve handling and body roll. When your car is slammed you have already compromised the geometry of the suspension so getting higher rate springs just doesn't make any sense. Just my opinion.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
illeste9x
Rep

I'm looking to go an inch off the ground (more or less). This is my first car and i was always told you should use high spring rates so you dont bounce off the road, and so the lip of your wheel doesnt damage a fender. What rates would you recommend? I am looking to get my fitment so my fender sits right above the lip of my wheel and would almost "rub" the stretched tire when i hit bumps, but not hit the lip. And i dont want to bounce off the road being an inch off the ground.

Thank you for your help!

Edit: I am putting 5 inch linear springs in replace of my H&R coil springs, and completely removing my rear helper springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Um, you are looking to have ZERO suspension travel then. If the lip of your wheel is almost rubbing your fender then you cannot have any travel in the suspension. You may as well put bricks in for springs. The spring is there to absorb the impact of uneven surfaces. To do that you require travel.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
illeste9x
Rep

I'm looking for like half an inch or so between the fenders and lips
Appreciate 0