E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need Help With Rumble Under WOT

06-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
woodepic
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i manual

Need Help With Rumble Under WOT

Hey everyone, recently I got a cheap 2006 330i e90 (about 130k miles), and it's now developing a weird rumble at mid-wide open throttle. When I first got the car, it was hardly noticeable and only at WOT in second gear or higher. It can be quite violent, making very loud "thud" noises, and shaking the whole car. It feels just like I hit a patch of continuous potholes.... It feels a lot like wheelhop, although I can't see why that would be it...

The rumble gets progressively worse in higher gears. When I first got the car, it was not violent, it felt more like a rumble. Also it would only happen if I stomped on the throttle. This is when I would feel it: (I was able to go past these RPM without feeling it, I just had to accelerate very slowly)

1st - never
2nd - 5000+ rpm
3rd - 4000+rpm
4th - 3500+ rpm
5th - 3000+ rpm
6th - 2750ish rpm

However now it feels way more violent, and is happening at lower RPM: (Also needs less throttle, half throttle will make it shake, where as before it was full throttle only)

1st - 6000+ rpm
2nd - 3500+ rpm
3rd - 3000+ rpm
4th and up - 2500+ rpm.

BTW the loud pounding / thud / rumble sound is seemingly coming from the back near the floor.. Maybe something with the diff/clutch?

At first I thought it was misfiring, but I'm not receiving any codes regarding that... Also I doubt it's the sparks as they were changed about 15k miles ago by a previous owner... could it be the coils? If so why is the sound coming from the rear? Also why would it be progressively worse in different gears then? Also it idles very well... maybe only under load it misfires?

Then I thought it could be wheel hop? However I doubt this because my car's not near powerful enough to break traction at half throttle, also why would it only happen in specific gears/rpm? (It's totally independent of speed btw. I can go 60mph no problem in 5th/6th, although if I try it in 3rd/4th it rumbles like crazy. Maybe due to the high rpm?

So maybe it's a clutch/diff issue? I could maybe see that being plausible due to the sound coming from the rear, also these 2 components need more torque in high gears to function... Perhaps the torque is making the clutch slip, and maybe the clutch is warped creating the noise / shaking? or maybe something's slipping in the diff due to the high torque of being at full throttle?

Let me know what you guys think the issue could be, or perhaps ways to diagnose it! I greatly appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

I say Wheel Hop and tires are low quality.
just an FYI, a 330 at Half WOT will spin wheels also.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
woodepic
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashShah View Post
I say Wheel Hop and tires are low quality.
just an FYI, a 330 at Half WOT will spin wheels also.
Could it really be that simple of a fix? Why would it be getting progressively worse over time? Also why wouldn't I be experiencing it in 1st gear for the most part? Wouldn't they be the most likely to break traction then? I would think they're more likely to hop in 1st than 6th, yet this weird rumble is the worst in 6th...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodepic View Post
Could it really be that simple of a fix? Why would it be getting progressively worse over time? Also why wouldn't I be experiencing it in 1st gear for the most part? Wouldn't they be the most likely to break traction then? I would think they're more likely to hop in 1st than 6th, yet this weird rumble is the worst in 6th...
ok, I am going to say this in km per hour as I am canadian.

so Late Care was a 2007 335i Sedan and it did that from 80km/hour and then WOT.

but as soon as I changed to New Rear tires, I did not see the same thing for like an year.....and it was about time to change tires again.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Drive shaft. Guibo. Support bearing. U-joint. Rear axles...
Appreciate 0