E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > another high boost N54 engine failure

10-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #441
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
So BMS has claimed that the JB3 Pro will be able to do everything the current competitors (Procede) can do, and even more... Can you give up a few hints of these 'features' that currently are unavailable with the procede?

With the recent advancements with the Procede Command Center, with all the adaptation resets, Autotuning, shift light, dash gauges, etc., I just can't what BMS has up their sleeve that's not out. It must be pretty stellar.
Both the G4 and PRO have the BMS equivalent with code clearing, code reading in dash, adaption resets, airbag resets, shift light, in dash gauges including timing, boost, IAT, EGT, etc. One of the main differences with the PRO board will be how methanol is controlled and what is required to control it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #442
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Both the G4 and PRO have the BMS equivalent with code clearing, code reading in dash, adaption resets, airbag resets, shift light, in dash gauges including timing, boost, IAT, EGT, etc. One of the main differences with the PRO board will be how methanol is controlled and what is required to control it.

Mike
You don't consider timing control/cps offset and isolated boost control to be one of the main differences? Seems that you are purposely underplaying their advantages in an attempt to gloss over two of the biggest limitations present in the jb3 platform.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #443
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Tell me how you would add-in 1 degree of timing retard with the current JB or even GIAC for that case?
I would never ever play with the settings and instead I would let the tuners do this for me (one of the reasons I'm considering GIAC). Why ? Because altering the settings (like adding 1 degree of timing) means just changing to a different, UNTESTED map from the millions of maps that you can create by altering settings. Do you think that the tuners test every combination of settings ? There are millions if not more of them. There is no need for me to be a test mule...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #444
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I would never ever play with the settings and instead I would let the tuners do this for me (one of the reasons I'm considering GIAC). Why ? Because altering the settings (like adding 1 degree of timing) means just changing to a different, UNTESTED map from the millions of maps that you can create by altering settings. Do you think that the tuners test every combination of settings ? There are millions if not more of them. There is no need for me to be a test mule...
Once you have a tune that is based solidly upon basic engine tuning theory, you don't have to worry about thing. Also, I'd urge you to educate yourself more on this subject before making the arguments that you are making. Ilma just asked you how you would make your tune more conservative. You responded that you can't/wouldn't because that could be potentially dangerous.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #445
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
You're not getting, at all, What ilma was saying. No point in making a dumb argument When What you're arguing isn't even relevant.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #446
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Also, I'd urge you to educate yourself more on this subject before making the arguments that you are making. Ilma just asked you how you would make your tune more conservative. You responded that you can't/wouldn't because that could be potentially dangerous.
I suppose you are aware that retarding timing increases your EGTs because the fuel mixture is hotter/still burning when the exhaust valves open ?

I am sure (and I really hope so) that in the tuning process you are also looking at the EGTs while looking at knock and power, when studying the effects of excessive ignition retard that could possibly be triggered by an unsuspecting customer trying to make his tune more "conservative".
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #447
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I suppose you are aware that retarding timing increases your EGTs because the fuel mixture is hotter/still burning when the exhaust valves open ?

I am sure (and I really hope so) that in the tuning process you are also looking at the EGTs while looking at knock and power, when studying the effects of excessive ignition retard that could possibly be triggered by an unsuspecting customer trying to make his tune more "conservative".
oh god. Stop it. We limit the amount of retard that a customer can induce. Even at the maximum, it's far less than the DME would reactively induce in a full boost/low octane condition. And you don't see anyone with burned exhaust valves with these engines. Only broken ring lands from knock.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #448
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
We limit the amount of retard that a customer can induce.
If only JB3 would do that too.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #449
Brian135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 16' M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Lol...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #450
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Just dropped in to see how things were. Somebody posts about a problem. Tuners co-opt the thead and start telling how clueless the other side is. Pretty much the same as it's been for the past 4 years.
      10-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #451
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Just dropped in to see how things were. Somebody posts about a problem. Tuners co-opt the thead and start telling how clueless the other side is. Pretty much the same as it's been for the past 4 years.
I don't think that is accurate at all. We all know Shiv has a clue what he is talking about and does. Anybody that doubts this is a complete imbecil and clueless.

It is usually Shiv pointing out technically the lack of sophistication of the JB product and tuner. Which you can't argue with, if you do, you are trying to hide something, or are obviously biased or misleading people.

Nobody has jumped on GIAC yet...that is good, because you would also be a moron if you did.
      10-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #452
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
I don't think that is accurate at all. We all know Shiv has a clue what he is talking about and does. Anybody that doubts this is a complete imbecil and clueless.

It is usually Shiv pointing out technically the lack of sophistication of the JB product and tuner. Which you can't argue with, if you do, you are trying to hide something, or are obviously biased or misleading people.

Nobody has jumped on GIAC yet...that is good, because you would also be a moron if you did.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. BTW, you misspelled "imbecile".
      10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #453
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Quote:
You know the sad part though.... We never got any smart ass remarks/ sayings though... You sure you're the 'original' lawdude?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #454
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Oh lawdude......we miss your zingers for sure.....

And just for the record CSTAVARU, I have used flash software very similar to GIAC in the past on a VAG platform.

APR and REVO are major competitors to GIAC in this market and I have tried both.

It's interesting that you think a flash should be set it and forget it....because REVO software allowed the end-user to adjust ignition advance a few degrees and suggested that datalogs which showed timing pull of up to 2-4 degrees was considered acceptable.

I don't know what their logic was for the 2-4 degree number, but I definately recall this being the case.

Last edited by Ilma; 10-10-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #455
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is true. JB3 is *almost* as good as Procede at 1/2-1/3 of the cost, no matter how someone would wash your brain.

Procede is more expensive because they don't manufacture their product and they use a Haltech device as a base instead. So they have to add their own profits on top of the original manufacturer profits. The only thing Procede has better than the JB3 is the "timing control", which adds/removes timing on top of the ECU timing (so it does not control it fully). Most of the time when running on proper bolt-ons the Procede does not alter timing, so in those cases it is equivalent to the JB3. The CAN boost target access is another plus but JB3 emulates the boost target very very well these days.

That's it. The other things besides the power adding stuff really don't matter, they are just marketing gimmicks.

PS: I have the BMW PPK and I intend to go with GIAC. It's just easy to see how the marketing washes brains on this forum.
You really need to start doing more research. BADLY!

I dont think one thing you said comes anywhere close to relevance or factual information.

We are all dumber because of your post, I award you no points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Prime example of a misinformed, uninformed, or choosing to be oblivious person...in exact fashion as described above. So sad/ funny/ bad.

There are things a wise man chooses to be ignorant, but tuning his car shouldn't be one g them
Yea that was probably the most uneducated, insanely wrong post I've seen to date on this forum.

Quote:
IDK which one of your posts are so wrong... I think you just beat yourself here in making an even worst post. The guy asked about retarding timing and you said why would u add timing? Its a different map? LOL

You strongly need to research basic tuning. How engines work. What ignition timing is. And stop regurgitating how you think tunes work and dont work.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-10-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #456
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

Quote:
oh god. Stop it. We limit the amount of retard that a customer can induce. Even at the maximum, it's far less than the DME would reactively induce in a full boost/low octane condition. And you don't see anyone with burned exhaust valves with these engines. Only broken ring lands from knock.
If i am not midtaken enriata said at his valves were "loose" when the heads were removed. Not sure if he was refering to guides or valve seats. Either way guides or valve seats at 70 k miles is not a good sign. Valves not seating correctly is a sign of either too much carbon or burnt valves maybe due to high egts. Do you know what material the valves are made of in these motors ?

Harry

Ps i am not saying jb or proced is better etc etc. For the record i prefer flashes
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #457
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
You really need to start doing more research. BADLY!

I dont think one thing you said comes anywhere close to relevance or factual information.

We are all dumber because of your post, I award you no points.

Yea that was probably the most uneducated, insanely wrong post I've seen to date on this forum.

IDK which one of your posts are so wrong... I think you just beat yourself here in making an even worst post. The guy asked about retarding timing and you said why would u add timing? Its a different map? LOL

You strongly need to research basic tuning. How engines work. What ignition timing is. And stop regurgitating how you think tunes work and dont work.
SPOT ON.

I actually chuckle at most of his/these posts. It does suck, for the unaware readers, who actually think his/those posts are legit. In fact, that's probably where he is getting his misinformation!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #458
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. BTW, you misspelled "imbecile".
Hey...I is educated...
      10-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #459
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post

It's interesting that you think a flash should be set it and forget it....because REVO software allowed the end-user to adjust ignition advance a few degrees and suggested that datalogs which showed timing pull of up to 2-4 degrees was considered acceptable.

I don't know what their logic was for the 2-4 degree number, but I definately recall this being the case.
I had REVO as well, but never messed with the settings.
There were people that did and did end up running very lean.
I think they caught it though before anything major happened, but still.
You really have to know what you're doing before just bumping up settings.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #460
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

I like to hear from the horse's own mouth (Enrita) rather than speculate. Did he post any pictures of his cooked head on here?
      10-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #461
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
You know the sad part though.... We never got any smart ass remarks/ sayings though... You sure you're the 'original' lawdude?
I guess I'm not quite myself. Many 2010 GT500s have a problem with second gear. Mine progressively got worse until synchros took a crap. It's been sitting in the shop for about a month waiting on backordered parts. Hard to feel happy when my 555rwhp 575rwt ride is collecting dust at the dealer while I'm driving around in a 2003 Ford Explorer.
      10-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #462
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I personally don't have a dog in this fight, but to be fair, it seems like things have changed a bit since BMS thought these features were unnecessary. People were not running meth and nitrous back then were they?

I don't know, I'm no expert but opinions and requirements for safety do change with progress.
A/D filtering, etc. have nothing to do with added features. They are involved with the most basic electronics design. IMO, they were left out to aid in hitting the market as quickly as possible and to limit production time/costs since early units were built in a garage. But that limitation in the design also caused many of the headaches along the way. We don't all drive with the throttle at 1 or 0.

That said, BMS will likely have a nice unit on their hands with the G4 and Pro boards as they have embraced what should have been done from the beginning. But hindsight is 20/20...
Appreciate 0