E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Has this happened to anyone?

01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #67
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichojo View Post
The New Yorkers reading this thread are still wondering what chipmunks are.
Lol its weird that we don't have chipmunks while new jersey has plenty. Maybe its our giant squirrels that kill them off.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.

Last edited by gunnerxq; 01-06-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #68
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
your car is bandy new, how do rotors get that out of whack on a brand new car?
+1^. Why would you need new brakes after 7000 mls Either you were riding them or there is more to it then just warped rotors and worn brake pads. GL though.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #69
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Lol its weird that we don't have chipmunks even while new jersey has plenty. Maybe its our giant squirrels that kill them off.
Sewer monsters.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #70
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleIN View Post
so you wore down the front rotors in 5 months? you must be a habitual late braker!
I dont though! I use my engine. I downshift to slow myself down. I brake once I get to 3rd gear.

Last edited by Sara; 01-06-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #71
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
+1^. Why would you need new brakes after 7000 mls Either you were riding them or there is more to it then just warped rotors and worn brake pads. GL though.
See thats what Im thinking too.. I guess I'll find out when I go back to get my car Monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #72
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

weird, hope its fixed!

definitely sounded like chipmunks lol
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #73
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I dont though! I use my engine. I downshift to slow myself down. I brake once I get to 3rd gear.
Don't downshift to slow down. Use your brakes. Downshift to accelerate.There was a thread recently where this was beat to death.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #74
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Don't downshift to slow down. Use your brakes. Downshift to accelerate.There was a thread recently where this was beat to death.
Oh ok
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #75
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
weird, hope its fixed!

definitely sounded like chipmunks lol
I know right lol
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #76
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=632144&page=2
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #77
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

heh, I'd rather have chipmunks than the screaming banshee that exists in my brakes now....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #78
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #79
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
heh, I'd rather have chipmunks than the screaming banshee that exists in my brakes now....
The only good banshee is my fourwheeler.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #80
jonnyjon123
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

Never seen anything like that before.. seems weird
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #81
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
BMW called me...

Front rotors worn. Brakes replaced. One side was worn down to 19mm the other was at 29mm. Well at least it wasnt anything major. I feel kind of silly now. I pick up my car Monday.
As soon as I watched the video, I knew it was the brakes, Ive seen this many times before. I couldnt reply because I was on my phone and it is to much to type

Sara, do you know exactly what they replaced? Did they do just front rotors, or rotors and pads? Or did they do the rear pads and rotors as well?

Reason I ask is, you said they were worn down to 29mm and 19mm. Well that really isnt worn. For the front, the machining limit on the rotors is 29.4mm but they can actually be worn down past that and still be good. It is impossible for the front rotors to get to 19mm, they would be worn to the fins with zero material on the rotor, its impossible. This is the reason I am asking, Im not trying to be an ass. The rears now, the machine limit is 18.4mm, so if you mean the rears are @ 19mm then it is well within spec. Also that is not a brake pad measurement. A new pad is roughly 14mm, and you would want to replace them when they get to around 3mm or so.

What can happen is debris got into the pad and would cause a noise like this. From a technician perspective, getting paid and a warranty perspective. If they said there was just debris stuck in there, the tech and dealer would not get paid, it would be the customers responsibility to pay. So they probably didnt want to charge you, so they "claimed" the pads/rotors were prematurely worn, causing noises. Which is most likely the case on what happened here. Your brakes for sure were not worn out, they prob just said that for simplicity. For your brakes to be worn @ 7000 miles, you would have to do some serious heavy braking and/or road coarse racing religiously, OR a stuck caliper which you would notice if it was that bad. Last thing that would cause that noise is getting the brakes really really really hot from high speed braking causing the pad material to get so hot it starts to get brittle and would make those noises from there on out. I would be curious to see what those pads looked like.

Also I wanted to comment about giving the Tech a stack of bulletins and posts on forums. I work for BMW and have been a Tech for 8 years. Do I know everything? Absolutely not. However Im pretty knowledgeable and know how to fix cars properly with the correct diagnosis. If someone handed me a stack of SIBs and forum posts I would laugh and throw them away. First reason, we know about the SIBs, the forums arent the first people to see this info. Two, dont tell me how to do my job and fix a car. Again not being an ass, it is what it is. For the people that bring their cars in and say they had an issue, car was supposedly fixed, then had to bring it back again cause it wasnt fixed right could be a ton of different reasons. Dont blame the tech for your new HPFP failing, after you had a new one installed, he didnt design it or make it. Also there is ALOT of misinformation on theses forums that gets people all crazy. I read it everyday in posts all over this forum. I wish I can reply to all of them, I just do not have the time. Some people know what they are talking about on here, but alot dont, they just assume with zero knowledge except for what they read on the internet.

Getting a good tech could be hard. Its a crap shoot. Most dealers have 20+ technicians. You can get a really really good tech, you can get one that is average, will fix the car right but take more time, or you can get one that has no clue, slob and a hack. Unfortunately thats how it is in some dealerships, its very sad, and gives dealers a bad name. Especially since there are some VERY VERY good technicians out there with gobs of product knowledge and skills.

Last edited by Juiced46; 01-06-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #82
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
As soon as I watched the video, I knew it was the brakes, Ive seen this many times before. I couldnt reply because I was on my phone and it is to much to type

Sara, do you know exactly what they replaced? Did they do just front rotors, or rotors and pads? Or did they do the rear pads and rotors as well?

Reason I ask is, you said they were worn down to 29mm and 19mm. Well that really isnt worn. For the front, the machining limit on the rotors is 29.4mm but they can actually be worn down past that and still be good. It is impossible for the front rotors to get to 19mm, they would be worn to the fins with zero material on the rotor, its impossible. This is the reason I am asking, Im not trying to be an ass. The rears now, the machine limit is 18.4mm, so if you mean the rears are @ 19mm then it is well within spec. Also that is not a brake pad measurement. A new pad is roughly 14mm, and you would want to replace them when they get to around 3mm or so.

What can happen is debris got into the pad and would cause a noise like this. From a technician perspective, getting paid and a warranty perspective. If they said there was just debris stuck in there, the tech and dealer would not get paid, it would be the customers responsibility to pay. So they probably didnt want to charge you, so they "claimed" the pads/rotors were prematurely worn, causing noises. Which is most likely the case on what happened here. Your brakes for sure were not worn out, they prob just said that for simplicity. For your brakes to be worn @ 7000 miles, you would have to do some serious heavy braking and/or road coarse racing religiously, OR a stuck caliper which you would notice if it was that bad. Last thing that would cause that noise is getting the brakes really really really hot from high speed braking causing the pad material to get so hot it starts to get brittle and would make those noises from there on out. I would be curious to see what those pads looked like.

Also I wanted to comment about giving the Tech a stack of bulletins and posts on forums. I work for BMW and have been a Tech for 8 years. Do I know everything? Absolutely not. However Im pretty knowledgeable and know how to fix cars properly with the correct diagnosis. If someone handed me a stack of SIBs and forum posts I would laugh and throw them away. First reason, we know about the SIBs, the forums arent the first people to see this info. Two, dont tell me how to do my job and fix a car. Again not being an ass, it is what it is. For the people that bring their cars in and say they had an issue, car was supposedly fixed, then had to bring it back again cause it wasnt fixed right could be a ton of different reasons. Dont blame the tech for your new HPFP failing, after you had a new one installed, he didnt design it or make it. Also there is ALOT of misinformation on theses forums that gets people all crazy. I read it everyday in posts all over this forum. I wish I can reply to all of them, I just do not have the time. Some people know what they are talking about on here, but alot dont, they just assume with zero knowledge except for what they read on the internet.

Getting a good tech could be hard. Its a crap shoot. Most dealers have 20+ technicians. You can get a really really good tech, you can get one that is average, will fix the car right but take more time, or you can get one that has no clue, slob and a hack. Unfortunately thats how it is in some dealerships, its very sad, and gives dealers a bad name. Especially since there are some VERY VERY good technicians out there with gobs of product knowledge and skills.
This was an execellent post. I'll post a copy of the service report when I go to pick up my car next week so you can see the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #83
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
This was an execellent post. I'll post a copy of the service report when I go to pick up my car next week so you can see the numbers.
Yes definitely update us when you get the car back. I am curious to see what the actual report says. Or PM me the last 7 of your VIN I can look it up, but its probably not in the system yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #84
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes definitely update us when you get the car back. I am curious to see what the actual report says. Or PM me the last 7 of your VIN I can look it up, but its probably not in the system yet.
Ok I will and thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #85
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:

probably one of the best posts ive ever read in this forum
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #86
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristate97 View Post
Did you check for a chipmunk under your hood?
Damn Sara you have a very sexy southern accent!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #87
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
BMW called me...

Front rotors worn. Brakes replaced. One side was worn down to 19mm the other was at 29mm. Well at least it wasnt anything major. I feel kind of silly now. I pick up my car Monday.
I called that one, "Brakes" It was very similar to the sensor rubbing
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #88
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Lol its weird that we don't have chipmunks while new jersey has plenty. Maybe its our giant squirrels that kill them off.
New York has Chipmunks, they just are located upstate. I lived in Westchester County for a number of years and have seen many of them.
Appreciate 0