E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car vibration/ shaking after downpipe installed.

10-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
Made.in.china
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e92

Car vibration/ shaking after downpipe installed.

Hi there , I just got my vrsf down pipe installed at a independent bmw mechanic and I suspect he screw up on something and my car been giving problems .

I have a 08 e92 automatic with about 70 k miles, mechanic said he had a hard time installing the dp due to old bolts not ncoming off, there fore had to drop the steering rack to get to it.

When I got the car back , my car clicks when I turn either way, also a very noticeable vibration and shaking on Park and neutral .

Anyone know what might have happen durring the install were the mechanic could've made a mistake which could cause the vibration/ engine shaking beside the fact he did something to my steering rack which needs to be look at now.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made.in.china View Post
Hi there , I just got my vrsf down pipe installed at a independent bmw mechanic and I suspect he screw up on something and my car been giving problems .

I have a 08 e92 automatic with about 70 k miles, mechanic said he had a hard time installing the dp due to old bolts not ncoming off, there fore had to drop the steering rack to get to it.

When I got the car back , my car clicks when I turn either way, also a very noticeable vibration and shaking on Park and neutral .

Anyone know what might have happen durring the install were the mechanic could've made a mistake which could cause the vibration/ engine shaking beside the fact he did something to my steering rack which needs to be look at now.

Thanks
Steering rack aside the down pipes are probably touching the subframe or something else. There should be zero vibrations.
      10-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
jamaicaLemons
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made.in.china View Post

Thanks
The clicking when you turn is caused by the bolts on the steering rack not being tight. You have to put a wrench on the top to hold them while you tighten them from the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicaLemons View Post
The clicking when you turn is caused by the bolts on the steering rack not being tight. You have to put a wrench on the top to hold them while you tighten them from the bottom.
This 100%, they probably didn't tighten the bolts all the way. They have to move the rack out of the way to complete the install. There's no room for your hands otherwise.
If you're savoy you can fix both of these issues really easy. You would need like 4 tools, ramps, car jack, and jack stands. They did the hard part for you because the stock DP to mid-pipe connection was probably rusted to hell, everything was "factory tight", and it's hard to break loose if it's never been touched.
I installed used down pipes purchased from another forum member on my car about 2 months ago. Getting everything loose reallllly sucked but I've had zero issues. Just borrow some tools and fix it for cheap or take it back and tell them to fix it. Good luck man!

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 10-21-2021 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

I have a little bit of catless downpipe vibration at idle and beyond on my AT 335 which I haven't yet noticed on my MT 335 (I installed both). Mods do have an impact on the factory refinement of these cars but not to the point that I have any regrets.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
I have a little bit of catless downpipe vibration at idle and beyond on my AT 335 which I haven't yet noticed on my MT 335 (I installed both). Mods do have an impact on the factory refinement of these cars but not to the point that I have any regrets.
your downpipes are touching the subframe somewhere if you have any kind of vibrations, lots of these downpipes dont fit perfect. I had to heat up and hammer mine so it doesnt touch. On the other hand your handle is cloverdale, that's hilarious
      10-06-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
Made.in.china
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e92

I finally found a shop that knew their stuff, they said happens more on n52 but my vavle cover had a crack and it was giving me vibrations and loud ass noise.

Just want to updated this post just in case some one have problems similar to mine . I did my vavle gasket twice too like a moron when the 1st guy he couldn't find the issues and car shojkd be fins
Appreciate 0