E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Combox Retrofit Done :) Can't play videos from iPhone though :/

06-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

Combox Retrofit Done :) Can't play videos from iPhone though :/

Had my CIC updated and also a Combox retrofit. Everything is working great.

Apart from I can't seem to play videos or find any videos from the CIC when the iPhone is connected.
Have been looking online to find a way. I have downloaded videos on youtube and then used itunes to transfer it over to my iPhone.
Even the music videos, tv shows and programs I have downloaded on itunes won't play. I can audio working for all the videos but just not video play back.

From what I can see online is that a lot of them say you need the snap in adapter to be able to play videos and majority of the posts are really old.

Just looking for someone who has recently done it to shed some light on the matter. I can play dvds and they all work fine no issues, just the videos on my iPhone won't play on there.

Thanks
Gaz
      06-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It was my understanding that with the introduction of the lightening adaptor connection to the bottom of the phones the video feed element was removed. In my X5 I have a spec.dock which is the old connection type and compatible with the 4/4S etc and that is capable of video playback.

If streaming then I didn't think it was possible to the combox but could be wrong. I know I have the CIC retrofit and don't have the ability to play video.

I'd certainly be interested to know the solution if there is one.
      06-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #3
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Correct, it is not possible to stream video using just the lightning cable
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 03:24 AM   #4
GeneralMitch
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i N54 Saloon

I have no previous knowledge on combox however I know from previous retrofits, you need the lightning HDMI connector to display video output.

GM
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #5
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
It was my understanding that with the introduction of the lightening adaptor connection to the bottom of the phones the video feed element was removed. In my X5 I have a spec.dock which is the old connection type and compatible with the 4/4S etc and that is capable of video playback.

If streaming then I didn't think it was possible to the combox but could be wrong. I know I have the CIC retrofit and don't have the ability to play video.

I'd certainly be interested to know the solution if there is one.
I've seen videos where people are using iphone 4/4s to play videos so would that work through the USB or would I need the special connector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
Correct, it is not possible to stream video using just the lightning cable
Thanks, any details on a work around :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMitch View Post
I have no previous knowledge on combox however I know from previous retrofits, you need the lightning HDMI connector to display video output.

GM
If I buy one of these connectors will that sort it out then or do you have any more details on it.

Thanks
      06-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWRIN View Post
I've seen videos where people are using iphone 4/4s to play videos so would that work through the USB or would I need the special connector?
The old 4/4S connector to USB did allow video out hence why I can use the spec.dock in the X5. It's only when they transitioned to the lightening adapter they restricted it for the normal lightening to USB wire.

You can use the lightening to hdmi etc though.

Well when I asked spec.dock about it for the E92 they said that I'd need to go with the lightening to video cable and then the video to hdmi to get the video signal.
      06-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
2real4u
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

I use iphone 4 or 5 cradle in my F30 to play video from phone. There is way to connect everything similar to option 6NF bmw base plate. From memory 6 pins AUX+USB and hdmi conventer is required for FBAS connection in HU.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The old 4/4S connector to USB did allow video out hence why I can use the spec.dock in the X5. It's only when they transitioned to the lightening adapter they restricted it for the normal lightening to USB wire.

You can use the lightening to hdmi etc though.

Well when I asked spec.dock about it for the E92 they said that I'd need to go with the lightening to video cable and then the video to hdmi to get the video signal.
Can I get away with a 30pin to lightning connector? I have a 4 kicking about somewhere so might check that too.
Had a quick look at spec.dock and they seem to do a lightning doc but not much details about if it'd work. Have you got a link to the video to hdmi cable?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2real4u View Post
I use iphone 4 or 5 cradle in my F30 to play video from phone. There is way to connect everything similar to option 6NF bmw base plate. From memory 6 pins AUX+USB and hdmi conventer is required for FBAS connection in HU.
I'm going to test the iphone 4 soon but the 5 had lightning cable so it probably have the same issue.
Any links to the 6NF base plate option for iphone 6 if it is possible?
Thanks
      06-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWRIN View Post
Can I get away with a 30pin to lightning connector? I have a 4 kicking about somewhere so might check that too.
Had a quick look at spec.dock and they seem to do a lightning doc but not much details about if it'd work. Have you got a link to the video to hdmi cable?
Thanks
I tried a lightening to 30pin adapter from Apple to use on the spec.dock and it still wouldn't play the video side only audio.

The spec.dock lightening version again is only audio or that's what I was told when I inquired.
      06-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I tried a lightening to 30pin adapter from Apple to use on the spec.dock and it still wouldn't play the video side only audio.

The spec.dock lightening version again is only audio or that's what I was told when I inquired.
Looks like the cheapest option is to get myself an iphone 4/4s