E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 N52 330i, new owner + project thread

06-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
hazkirby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

E90 N52 330i, new owner + project thread

Hi guys

I recently purchased my first BMW. Its a 2005 graphite silver E90 SE, 158 style alloys, full black leather and most importantly a manual transmission. My intention of this thread is to keep a diary of changes. Adds value in my mind

My intention with buying car with the budget I had, was not to pick the fastest, best looking nor most practical car. It was to simply to pick a car , with enough room for a small family, with the engine I love the most ( 6 Cylinders has a sweet spot with me). I know if I pick the right engine that I can change everything else about the car to my liking. I had an Alfa GT previously but with a diesel. It was a great diesel, remapped it, was going to go down the bigger turbo/intercooler setup but I always knew the delivery and sound totally ruined the car and my ambition to do anything with it.

I purchased the car at the start of May, here it is at the dealers (I will take better photos soon):

So far its hit a number of issues in the past month:
- Overheated, requiring new thermostat and water pump
- On going VANOS issue
- Fuel leak when full , on going

So not a great first month!

I quickly noticed the stock gear level isn't a great match to the gear box. I replaced it with a genuine m sport gear knob. The added weight and feel make the shift experience a whole lot more pleasurable!

The standard SE steering wheel really lets the interior down. I have been in touch with Jack at Royal Steering wheels to get it re-trimmed, nice and thick with thumb grips. I will post before and after images.

Apart from the wheel the interior is a step up from the Alfa. It does lose out on quirkiness but that gets boring trust me. The sound system however is way down on bass compared to the Alfa, it does not suit my style of music. I was wary about the SE seats, as the Alfa has sport seats which hug you more than even the M Sport seats do. I do miss the seats especially around fast corners, so I will keep an eye out for 2 x front m sport seats.

In terms of exterior it doesn't look as sporty as an m sport (obviously), but it does have its own charm. From side on the 158s look great, I know they are only 17" and larger wheels suit the car better aesthetically, but I am in two minds whether to compromise aesthetics for £££. I keep thinking about it, but I only see the car when I walk up to it and so long as it doesn't look scruffy or old I'm pretty happy! Its more what I feel and see behind the wheel which matters to me, hence why the gear knob and steering wheel are priority.

Handling wise - coming from a lowered Alfa the ride is more rolly polly, as I'd expect, but grip levels are up, in particular of course in the under steer department. Rear wheel drive is an added bonus with this car. I didn't buy it because its rear wheel drive, but I can't imagine going back to front wheel drive. I do think the steering wheel will make a huge difference to how I feel about the handling. Having a thicker steering wheel just makes it feel better! I will look at suspension options soon, in two minds because I can go over speed bumps at full speed and its wonderful after coming from a lowered car where I actually would change route just to avoid !

Performance - Love it - I do have VANOS solenoid issue which the dealer is going to fix. The performance is not so fast I am going to lose my license, but its plenty quick enough. The power delivery is sublime! I would like to fit an induction kit, exhaust and get it remapped to compliment the engine further, other than that I plan to maintain it with no expense.

So yeah I hi from me its great to be a part of this community!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
UltimateDream
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Pic doesn't work, congrats on the purchase!
Appreciate 0