E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > DTC, Traction Control

12-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #23
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

It's amazing how many threads talk about " How the hell do I turn on DSC/DTC? Or is it turn off? "
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
You push the DTC button to turn off DTC feature. In most case you don't really touch it unless you few save enough that you have all the control of your car. Its one of the saftety feature, so when you turn on the car, it automatic on.

Correct!! You can try out this few days on the snow. You should see that when the DTC is off (meaning the icon show up on the dash), the tires tend to spin a bit more before the computer kick in and cut your power.

PS. DTC off doesn't mean traction is turn off all the way, it will just cut your power later let you spin a bit more. For example, if you have your DTC on, the traction control will cut in immediately whenever it feel the tire has no traction. When the DTC is off, it will let thre tires spin a bit before it cut in.
Soni - with all due respect I'd suggest you go over the manual once more. Your statement above is patently incorrect.

Pushing the DTC button *briefly* DISABLES full DSC (dynamic stability control) and ENABLES DTC (dynamic traction control). As previously mentioned, BMW considers DTC a SUBSET of DSC. To completely disable DSC & DTC push and hold DTC button for 5 seconds.
      12-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
Soni - with all due respect I'd suggest you go over the manual once more. Your statement above is patently incorrect.

Pushing the DTC button *briefly* DISABLES full DSC (dynamic stability control) and ENABLES DTC (dynamic traction control). As previously mentioned, BMW considers DTC a SUBSET of DSC. To completely disable DSC & DTC push and hold DTC button for 5 seconds.

oh my freaking god. just when i thought i understood DTC, i'm confused agiain.

i'm going to jump off a cliff.

no , that will take too long

12-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #26
saeed_gh_55
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Auto, 2007

hey all

i have a problem with the DTC ... i have 320i automatic gear ... when i hold the DTC button for several seconds ..and its all turned off ...i feel like i still have some traction .. even if i turned it off !! ...i cant even drift ...the front tires keep braking or sth !! ... is there anything i can turn off to get the car drifting .. replyy soon !!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #27
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeed_gh_55 View Post
...i cant even drift ...
that is the answer.
      12-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #28
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:

You are correct
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
broker88
Private
Rep
Drives: TTC my ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
oh my freaking god. just when i thought i understood DTC, i'm confused agiain.

i'm going to jump off a cliff.

no , that will take too long

Ok Last time here about this DTC nonsense.

When I push the DTC button, the DTC light is "ON", that means DTC is "off" ?
So when Im driving in slippery conditions, DTC should be left ON which means no DTC light in the dash.

This sound 'bout right ??
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #30
sgmpw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by broker88 View Post

So when Im driving in slippery conditions, DTC should be left ON which means no DTC light in the dash.

[Deleted entry - wrong information]

Last edited by sgmpw; 03-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: wrong info
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #31
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by broker88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmpw View Post
Correct.
No lights means you've got all the systems enabled.
No wonder so many of you are confused. Someone posts something incorrect then another member validates them!

I'm going to post this one last time (for all you people who can't read):

> Start the car and DSC system is fully enabled (that means ON)
> Push DTC button to enable DTC *yes, the DTC light on the dash means DTC is ON*. DTC is a subset of DSC, so technically you're still operating the system, but it allows you to power drift / spin wheels more-so than DSC
>> Push and hold DTC button for 5 seconds to disable all traction control (DSC off).

If you can't understand this post go find some snow and ice and test out the above for yourselves.
      03-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #32
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:

> Push DTC button to enable DTC *yes, the DTC light on the dash means DTC is ON*. DTC is a subset of DSC, so technically you're still operating the system, but it allows you to power drift / spin wheels more-so than DSC
>> Push and hold DTC button for 5 seconds to disable all traction control (DSC off).
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #33
broker88
Private
Rep
Drives: TTC my ride

Quote:
No wonder so many of you are confused. Someone posts something incorrect then another member validates them!

If you can't understand this post go find some snow and ice and test out the above for yourselves.

As you stated, half the peeps on here say one thing and the other half say something else. You are right, who wouldn't be confused. If the manual explained it so clearly then there wouldn't be so many posts asking this lame question.

All of you were new on here once just like moi, probably asking dumba** questions just like this.

Thanks for all the help, people.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #34
ELCHIEF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328xi

Wow, that's a lot of different info. Sad to say I've been having my 328xi for a year and now is when I finally think I've got it.DTC is best on when messing around, like burn out,better take off from a red light or stop sign and stuff? So why would anyone turn them both off?(Holding it for 5 seconds)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
haneifk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4

Correction

Hi guys, I couldn't help but notice the debate going on about activating/deactivating DTC/DSC. I am happy to say I have read the DTC portion of the manual several times and have realized the following:

Pressing the DTC button will turn it ON. When you can see the DTC light in your gauge cluster, that means it's ON.

If you HOLD the button for 3sec, it turns DTC AND DSC both OFF

Press it again and the light goes off... that means DSC is back ON and DTC is off again.

PER the BMW MANUAL:

To ACTIVATE DTC:
"Press the button briefly; the DTC indicator lamp
lights up in the instrument cluster."

The indicator lamp is lit:
DTC has been ACTIVATED.

just a little fyi
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #36
haneifk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4

Quote:

So what is the benefit of turning everything off if DTC on is for powerslide, etc?
Appreciate 0