E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Window tint in Michigan

10-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
ttvetdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: .

Window tint in Michigan

I just picked up my '09 335xi and I had the tint guy at the dealership put 15% tint on all the windows. Although it is against the law in MI to have tint on the driver and/or passenger windows my CA didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I've only lived in MI for the past 2-3 months so I don't have a feel for how stringent they are on enforcing this law. Any fellow Michigan people with personal experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
I have tinted my front windows on every car I have ever had (always lived in MI) and never have been pulled over for it. I was once pulled over for other reasons and the cop told me that it was illegal to have my front windows tinted, but only gave me a fix it ticket for my lights. Normally if a cop is walking up to my car, I automatically just roll down the window so they don’t even have to think about my windows, lol.

I guess it probably depends on where you are and what kind of day the cop is having and how polite you are to him/her, but honestly, they don’t really seem to care about tint, and if they do it will just be a fix it ticket more than likely.
      10-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Stinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [7.00]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi330xi View Post
I have tinted my front windows on every car I have ever had (always lived in MI) and never have been pulled over for it.
+1.

I even had a cop pull up next to me in traffic with my windows up and 35% full tint had the cop ask me to roll down my window. I thought for sure I was getting busted for the tint, he instead said "sweet car!" Now that was coolest cop ever. Happened right on Southfield road and 12 mile. Very cool.
      12-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Omni
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi 6MT

One of my best friends has been ticketed twice for 20% tint on his driver and passenger windows. $90 each.

In my group, it's well known that in (West) Michigan it's common to get pulled over just for window tint...so either be prepared for a ticket or don't tint the front. This may not be (and probably isn't) the case in Eastern Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
I lived in GR for 5 years, I was pulled over a hand full of times in my stay there (even arrested once >.<) and my window tint was never even mentioned, let alone a ticket for it. Worst I got (car related) were fix it tickets for tinted license plate cover and turn signals being the wrong color (who knew there was such a thing as "too amber")... I'm pretty sure you are rather safe with tinting your windows, of course it all depends on how bad of a day the cop has had, how big of a ass you are to said cop, and what ever else you may have been doing to garnish his attention.
      01-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
BMWAutoXer
No Cones
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 330 xDrive

You should be fine, tinted for years in Oakland county and I only had a problem once in the city of Berkley. I paid it and went on my way - its cheaper than removing and reinstalling the tint. Other than that in all the times I've been pulled over only one other officer mentioned it and didn't write an infraction for it. I think your luck has more to do with how you were driving before being pulled over and how you handle yourself with the officer over anything else. If you're driving like a jerk weaving in traffic but they couldn't get a read on you for speeding expect a secondary offense ticket once they notice tinted windows. That type of thing.

Keep in mind even when an officer comes to the window with a chip on their shoulder, you don't know if they just got done being shot at and filling out 4 hours worth of state paperwork about the incident. Courtesy and co-operation go a long way with any officer, and I've yet to find the extra 10 minutes of my time to be worth 150+ dollars for a ticket.
Appreciate 0