E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Hands free mobiles and driving

01-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

Hands free mobiles and driving

Had a strange email from our HR Dept today informing us that the company does not condone the use of a mobile phone whilst driving for business purposes, even if it is a hand free/Bluetooth kit.

Does anyone else have this? Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous?? My phone is always in the snap in adaptor and runs through Bluetooth and I use voice activation to make my calls so I never touch my phone whilst driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

It's all about self protection of your transport manager and or company directors;

If you crash on your way to/from work whilst on the phone (even in a hands free cradle) in the H&S and blame culture world in which we live today your employers can be proven culpable.

The email you have received will go some way to protecting them from such bullshit.

I had an external agency write our co.car policy. When I read it I thought it was a joke. Then the extent of the blame culture was explained to me and I realised why they're written like they are.

Our company car policy pretty much points out that you shouldn't BBQ whilst driving (ok, not that bad, but it's close).

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
It's all about self protection of your transport manager and or company directors;

If you crash on your way to/from work whilst on the phone (even in a hands free cradle) in the H&S and blame culture world in which we live today your employers can be proven culpable.

The email you have received will go some way to protecting them from such bullshit.

I had an external agency write our co.car policy. When I read it I thought it was a joke. Then the extent of the blame culture was explained to me and I realised why they're written like they are.

Our company car policy pretty much points out that you shouldn't BBQ whilst driving (ok, not that bad, but it's close).
Having seen you drive Sheps I would say letting an employee have a rear drive 450bhp car is more irresponsible
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

We recently had to sign some waiver to allow some external company check our driving license and insurance was fit for purpose and also we get regular emails with reminders asking if I have checked my windscreen wipers /tyres and all that caper.

Even though it's my car as I get an allowance they deem as they give me an allowance for it under HSE regs they need to know my car is in order

Just seems like a load of corporate bollox protecting themselves as usual then.

Next time my boss rings when I'm driving then he will be getting a "reject". I always find the time in the car helpful to catch up with calls etc as I'm generally on there for a couple of hours so get alot done. Ah well guess it will have to wait. I'm not spending my evenings making pissing phone calls from my sofa when I should be watching Eggheads!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Having seen you drive Sheps I would say letting an employee have a rear drive 450bhp car is more irresponsible
More irresponsible than using the phone, or BBQ'ing whilst driving?!

I seem to remember following you and watching an overtake that made my passenger and I suck in so much air I thought we were going to pull the windows in!

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0