E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Elbows hitting the side bolsters during turns

02-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Elbows hitting the side bolsters during turns

If I adjust my seat and steering wheel properly (if arm extended, the end of wrist touches the top of steering wheel, and elbows slightly bent if I hold the steering wheel at 3 and 9), every time I turn the steering wheel while hands at 3 and 9, my elbows push against the seat bolsters and make the turning difficult. I can avoid this if I push my elbows out while turning, but that feels awkward. All you folks who drive with the non-gansta look, do you have this problem also? I have the sport seats.

Thanks.
      02-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Never noticed this...I have more issue with my right knee getting bruised by hitting or bracing on the center console during turns.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

One word:

CG-Lock
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
yea CG-Lock ftw! I used to have that problem, CG-Lock drives you into the seat, so a lot of the "my ____ is pushing against the car's _____" go away.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I didn't know what that was, so I looked it up. Seems like the clip that comes with car seats Anyway, I don't see how that will help the elbow issue since I'm already pushed against the seat. May be my elbows are just funky! Thanks anyway. The more I drive in this position, the more I'm getting used to it...but still don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
elbert
digging for gold
Rep
Drives: Ford Tempo GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAmW335i View Post
I didn't know what that was, so I looked it up. Seems like the clip that comes with car seats Anyway, I don't see how that will help the elbow issue since I'm already pushed against the seat. May be my elbows are just funky! Thanks anyway. The more I drive in this position, the more I'm getting used to it...but still don't like it.
I had the same problem with my car.
There are two ways I found to avoid hitting the bolsters.

The first way (which I no longer use) is to "preload" steering input. It is like shuffle steering but not exactly. In a right hand turn, keep your left hand at 9 o'clock. Just before you turn in, move your right hand to 1 o'clock or so. This moves your elbow up and you won't hit the bolster. As you straighten out the wheel on corner exit, let your right hand slide back to 3 o'clock.

What I now do in the same right hand turn is keep my right hand at 9 but grip the wheel with the thumb and index finger, and lift off the palm and other fingers as needed. That and your left hand is plenty enough to hold the wheel. You don't want a death grip on the steering wheel anyway.
I changed to this hold because it is much easier to make steering corrections if the tail slides out a little bit.

Sit properly. Driving with a steep recline is a serious disadvantage which will be noticeable when you get faster.
Appreciate 0