E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD N55 E-Series - general discussion

09-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #6469
Pladi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
So how much octane is enough? 93?
If it's just a matter of 1-2 octane that's making difference, one can always add some octane booster on every fill-up.
For every car is a bit different and for every state is a bit different. It depends on fuel quality.

My suggestion is up the octane until you see that very few corrections are made. If thats all you can do. Because obv there are more options, like tweaking the map.. but thats not an option for most of us. Otherwise we would be tuning our own cars.

It depends whats more important to people. Risk for power or a safe engine long term. Thats my take. I am satisfied with my power if it means i have no corrections with 91 octane. Because we dont have alot of options in canada. So i am not gonna run stage 2 92 even though i can get 94 because i know our 94 is shit. I run 94 with a 92 map ot runs like shit. Its the gas..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #6470
Supermoon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I get what you're saying. I supposed i'm just overly paranoid in regards to this new motor considering what happened to my original one. I would run E85 if I could conveniently obtain it, but considering i'm running the 91 octane maps while using 92 octane fuel, I feel like fueling shouldn't be an issue. The 4th gear log was above 3k rpm, so a bit faster than my 3rd gear logs. I understand the extra load=more corrections principal, but considering I was feeling hesitations on normal driving/cruising, I figured a 4th gear log would be beneficial in finding a cause.

At the end of the day, with my mods and fuel, I shouldn't be experiencing any issues using the Stage 2 91oct OTS map.
Have you tried the 91ACN map?
BMW PPK | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3 | Wagner Catted DP | ETS 5" FMIC | VRSF CP | K&N Drop-In | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSB | Manzo Toe arms | M3 steering wheel with Extended paddles | AVIN 8.8" Android HU
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #6471
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
Have you tried the 91ACN map?
I have not. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it out for a bit and see if it cleans things up a bit. I'll check back when I do.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #6472
Twisted Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Did some more data logging on Stage 2 1.53 yesterday. While driving around normally with the MHD monitor on, I have been noticing the car correct timing at partial throttle requests. I have also noticed that this tends to happen most in 4th gear and above. On 100% throttle in 4th gear, I have also noticed a bit of hesitation/roughness and I am assuming that is from the corrections.

Here is a log in 4th gear: https://datazap.me/u/geirsenk/153-st...20-21-22-23-24

You can see i'm hovering the go pedal at around 50% to gradually get above 3k RPMs for the log. During this time you can see the car is correcting quite a bit. Once I get above 3k, I punch it (on a flat road) and the corrections increase across the board. Also, the throttle closes at the top end, which seems super weird to me.

Here is another 4th gear pull which shows the throttle closing again. This one is a bit cleaner with corrections too. https://datazap.me/u/geirsenk/153-st...20-21-22-23-24

Lastly, as a baseline, here is a full 3rd gear pull. This is also showing some significant throttle closure. https://datazap.me/u/geirsenk/153-st...20-21-22-23-24

Twisted Tuning The hesitation that I have mentioned before with the car under load (weight, up a hill, etc) is very similar to what I was experiencing during that first 4th gear pull. Perhaps these logs could assist in figuring this out?

on one of those logs the car is correcting with just about no load prior to even going WOT. which you have noted. The engine you have gotten replaced, was it a new engine, rebuilt, or reman?

Some of the logs didnt look bad other than the one.
www.facebook.com/twistedtuned
justin@twistedtuning.com
IG: twisted_tuning
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #6473
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tuning View Post
on one of those logs the car is correcting with just about no load prior to even going WOT. which you have noted. The engine you have gotten replaced, was it a new engine, rebuilt, or reman?

Some of the logs didnt look bad other than the one.
Brand new engine from BMW. Came with just about everything (plugs, injectors, coils, etc) except the HPFP, which I am replacing next week to remedy my long cranks. I don't think the HPFP is at fault for the corrections and what not considering the rail pressure is where it should be, but i'll be sure to log after I replace it and check back.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #6474
Twisted Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Brand new engine from BMW. Came with just about everything (plugs, injectors, coils, etc) except the HPFP, which I am replacing next week to remedy my long cranks. I don't think the HPFP is at fault for the corrections and what not considering the rail pressure is where it should be, but i'll be sure to log after I replace it and check back.
nah, HPFP shouldn't cause corrections unless its mechanically failing somehow making a bunch of resonating noise.
www.facebook.com/twistedtuned
justin@twistedtuning.com
IG: twisted_tuning
Appreciate 0