Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Quality of Velocity Motoring CSL wheels?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Closed Thread

04-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #89
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog 6 View Post
...Also Velocity does back thier warranty, I had two wheels that starting peeling on day 3 and they replaced them right away.
Peeling on DAY 3? Wow! Glad you got that replaced with no hassles!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #90
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Seriously... Day 3? I'd be pissed that I'd have to get the tires unmounted and remounted again for something like that after 3 days. But at least they took care of it.

I also realized that I'm running an ET40 up front... Comparing some pictures from EAS's silver coupe, the fronts were ET30 with a spacer. No wonder mine looks weird. I'm pretty adamant about not running a spacer though so I'll live with the slightly funky look I guess.
      04-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #91
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
40 will be set inside the well a bit, but only by a few millemeters.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #92
jgriffin
"Don't tase me bro!"
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

I just ordered the matte black v715 rims from them yesterday. I really hope everything I am reading about this company is not the norm.......
      04-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #93
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
^^ May the force be with you.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #94
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffin View Post
I just ordered the matte black v715 rims from them yesterday. I really hope everything I am reading about this company is not the norm.......
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you ordered from Velocity Motoring directly, they'll take care of you within the 1yr warranty period.
      04-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #95
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
I also realized that I'm running an ET40 up front... Comparing some pictures from EAS's silver coupe, the fronts were ET30 with a spacer. No wonder mine looks weird. I'm pretty adamant about not running a spacer though so I'll live with the slightly funky look I guess.
Chowbow, how does it look funky?
      04-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #96
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffin View Post
You do not have a thing to worry about. We stand 100% behind Velocity and the quality of their wheels. We have been working with them for over 3.5 years and debuted one of the first renditions of the CSLs at Bimmerfest a few years back. They are very high quality replicas and we have experienced nothing but great feedback on the product.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #97
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

i've had my csls on for more than a year now, i use meguires hot wheels (pink bottle) once a month or so, when i get lazy and don't wanna spend my time scrabbing ridiculously through the multispokes...i haven't noticed any major fade on this set of wheels, though when i first got them...

the center area chipped ever so slightly, when mounting/balancing, i didn't approve of that, had a shop redo them, they said they could touch it up, i let them, they procede to use their standard wheel cleaner they use for all their wheels in the shop, and mount it back to my car, the wheels are now dramatically faded, barely any silver left, i flip out, and they offer to get them repainted for me...long story short, i ended up with new wheels, and still the center chipped from mounting/balancing (small areas)...

i'd have to say the finish isn't as good as OEM as many stated, OEM can take a sure beating and still look just as new as the first day (with nearly all wheel cleaners), i'd suggest getting these wheels clear coated with the spray can type just to be safe as a DIY, my wheels are fine, i wonder if the shop sprayed clear on them so i wouldn't hassle them anymore?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 01:38 AM   #98
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The finish is perfectly fine, our own vehicles have been running the wheels with no issues to report. There is also a 1 year warranty on the finish.

The most important part would be to use no abrasive/acidic cleaners (this includes Simple Green) on the wheels when washing - plain soap & water will do. If you wouldn't use it on your BMW's paint - it shouldn't be on the wheels.

Wheel Wax is a good product for the wheels and is recommended a good coat is applied before installing to prevent brake dust buildup. A simple rinse with the hose will take the dust right off.
will Wheel Wax also work for flat/matte black wheels?
      04-02-2008, 03:28 AM   #99
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Chowbow, how does it look funky?
Well not really that funky I guess, but maybe "unbalanced" because the rear wheels are ET30 and they are pushed out all the way to the fenders while the fronts are tucked in a bit (same look as stock). I was looking to have a more aggressive offset in the rear to dial out some of the oversteer I have, but it just looks a bit unbalanced. An ET35 front would look much more normal IMO. You can run some spacers up front to "correct" the look but I'm against running spacers for safety reasons.
      04-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #100
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
^I'll be running 35 front and 30 rear. Think I'll be fine with regard to your "funky" issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #101
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Probably. Did you buy the fronts with ET35? Or are you going to run a spacer?
      04-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #102
DrPowers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
I've had them for about a week now and I just had them rebalanced. I was noticing a slight feeling of instability when driving so I brought them to a local tire place to have them balanced.

They rebalanced the tires and said they were off by quite a bit... on all 4 ($50). Weird since VMR is supposed to be so great at balancing the tires. Maybe they balanced them without the tires mounted??? I'm not sure what kind of warranty they offer on their "balancing" but I'll have to take it up with my supplier.

I took some pics of the weights that were on the tire before and after the rebalance... it could be that the local tire place is ripping me off.

I've also noticed that sand collects on the outer rim of the tire after driving it in the rain. Anyone have any idea why this is. This is weird because its loose sand... that you can simply flick off with a finger. I would think the centripetal force of the tire would knock it off. Are they generating some sort of magnetic charge as I drive them? Does anyone have a fix for this? I'll post some pics up later.

Oh a higher note these wheels hide brake dust nicely. After a week of solid driving they just look a little dull. Not like the OEMs that would be dark brown by now. For that I am happy.

There is also no fading or chipping as of yet.. but I haven't washed them yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #103
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
No spacer. 35 Front, 30 Rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #104
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
WTH... I don't see that on their site and that is pretty much the setup I was looking for. Ugh.
      04-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #105
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPowers View Post
I've had them for about a week now and I just had them rebalanced. I was noticing a slight feeling of instability when driving so I brought them to a local tire place to have them balanced.

They rebalanced the tires and said they were off by quite a bit... on all 4 ($50). Weird since VMR is supposed to be so great at balancing the tires. Maybe they balanced them without the tires mounted??? I'm not sure what kind of warranty they offer on their "balancing" but I'll have to take it up with my supplier.
I would think they had to have balanced with the tire on. I mean, it's pointless to balance without the tire mounted. That's really what wheel/tire balancing is for, to take up the imbalances in the tires, and some of the imbalances in the wheel (should be minor compared to tire).
      04-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #106
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
WTH... I don't see that on their site and that is pretty much the setup I was looking for. Ugh.
Talk to Randy. He told me to select the 38 for my 35s. I'd PM him and ask.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #107
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Randy? Is he from EAS? The only people I see from EAS post now is Tom and Jurrian. Jurrian took my order over the phone and recommended the ET40 fronts as well as that was the 19x8.5" size they use. Oh well, too late I guess.
      04-03-2008, 01:27 AM   #108
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Are you sure you bought VMR VB3 CSL wheels? We don't produce 35mm offset front 8.5" wheels. Only 40 offset.

Quote:
I would think they had to have balanced with the tire on. I mean, it's pointless to balance without the tire mounted. That's really what wheel/tire balancing is for, to take up the imbalances in the tires, and some of the imbalances in the wheel (should be minor compared to tire).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPowers View Post

I took some pics of the weights that were on the tire before and after the rebalance... it could be that the local tire place is ripping me off.
It is rare, but sometimes weights can fall off during shipping. Otherwise, all our wheel and tire orders are balanced on our Hunter GSP9700 Road Force and always leave our warehouse balanced and with road force within spec. DrPowers, if you have any other issues, feel free to contact me via PM, email, or phone
      04-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #109
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Are you sure you bought VMR VB3 CSL wheels? We don't produce 35mm offset front 8.5" wheels. Only 40 offset.

It is rare, but sometimes weights can fall off during shipping. Otherwise, all our wheel and tire orders are balanced on our Hunter GSP9700 Road Force and always leave our warehouse balanced and with road force within spec. DrPowers, if you have any other issues, feel free to contact me via PM, email, or phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you ordered from Velocity Motoring directly, they'll take care of you within the 1yr warranty period.
See what I mean?
      04-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #110
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
It is definitely nice to see the manufacturer themselves in here answering questions and providing comments.

And the finish on mine are still a-OK, for those who were wondering.