E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Tracking the car with Tunes?

03-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Tracking the car with Tunes?

Who all is tracking their car with an aftermarket tune? Can you comment on your experiences?

I had been running Procede V2 at 90% up until last weekend. Standard settings had been yielding 14.5-15psi during long pulls as recommended by the manufacturer, but I have been constantly plagued with limp modes induced during down shifts dating back to my use of v1.5. Two weekends ago was my first track event since installing my Defi boost gauge, and it recorded spikes on downshifts fairly regularly reacing 17-19psi and a maximum spike up to 24psi. To be clear i'm not talking about blips up to a peak with the throttle body closed and a near instant drop to normal levels after acceleration resumes, I'm talking about a moderate fast build and it holding for a second or so then falling off.

Got fed up with the problems and figured I'd rather have 70 less HP and be on the track than be sitting in the paddock, so I took it out and continued to record with my boost gauge. I saw throttlebody-close-style blips up to 11psi with the procede removed and on boost runs peaking at 8-9psi, i.e. what you'd expect.

I'm going to stay stock for a while and work on driving, but I was wondering if anyone else was having a positive track day experience with any of the available tunes. I'm going to want to add one back when I get my driving skills where I want them.
      03-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
Who all is tracking their car with an aftermarket tune? Can you comment on your experiences?

I had been running Procede V2 at 90% up until last weekend. Standard settings had been yielding 14.5-15psi during long pulls as recommended by the manufacturer, but I have been constantly plagued with limp modes induced during down shifts dating back to my use of v1.5. Two weekends ago was my first track event since installing my Defi boost gauge, and it recorded spikes on downshifts fairly regularly reacing 17-19psi and a maximum spike up to 24psi. To be clear i'm not talking about blips up to a peak with the throttle body closed and a near instant drop to normal levels after acceleration resumes, I'm talking about a moderate fast build and it holding for a second or so then falling off.

Got fed up with the problems and figured I'd rather have 70 less HP and be on the track than be sitting in the paddock, so I took it out and continued to record with my boost gauge. I saw throttlebody-close-style blips up to 11psi with the procede removed and on boost runs peaking at 8-9psi, i.e. what you'd expect.

I'm going to stay stock for a while and work on driving, but I was wondering if anyone else was having a positive track day experience with any of the available tunes. I'm going to want to add one back when I get my driving skills where I want them.

I am trying to IM you..but having difficulty..frickin proxy issues.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

when I saw the thread title, I thought you meant tracking with music on.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post

So did I. I have tried that a few times...but I want to hear what my engine and tires are doing..so I stopped doing "radar love" while on track.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep

I can't drive 55?
      03-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just to be clear - you got limps during DOWNshifts? I used to get limps on track and that was only with UPshifts from 3-4 at 6500rpm.

FWIW - I'm running V202 with no problems in HPDE 4/TT. My first experience was back in Nov07 with V2.0 and that was a pain in the ass.

I've been to quite a few open track days (drive till ya tires fall off) and have dickered around with it enough that it's limp-free.

As you know, you can be 100% perfect on the street only to limp once on track, under track conditions.

Here's a tip: Set the valet RPM to 2000. That way, if you limp, you can hot pit, restart and immediately be on "stock settings". That's the only way to properly test your limp-proneness
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
K335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
I've been to quite a few open track days (drive till ya tires fall off) and have dickered around with it enough that it's limp-free.
What did you have to do to get to that point?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
I've been tracking with JB2HH on 91 octane for a while now with zero issues. We're talking only Autocross tracking however. I hope to get out to the "real" tracks soon .
      03-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K335i View Post
What did you have to do to get to that point?
I know you're looking for a shortcut. Unfortunately that does not exist.

I went to the track with my laptop and internet connection. When I limped, I would send the logfile to Vishnu and they'd send me something back to try out. Every car is different and while on the street, I never had a limp issue, the track is a completely different story.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
I've been tracking with JB2HH on 91 octane for a while now with zero issues. We're talking only Autocross tracking however. I hope to get out to the "real" tracks soon .
I'm curious how you'd fare on a proper road course. Being near full boost for 20 mins and at speeds up to 150mph is completely different than a 60-80second auto-x course.

Never had an onstreet issue with V2. On the track, at first, dingdingding!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Just to be clear - you got limps during DOWNshifts? I used to get limps on track and that was only with UPshifts from 3-4 at 6500rpm.

FWIW - I'm running V202 with no problems in HPDE 4/TT. My first experience was back in Nov07 with V2.0 and that was a pain in the ass.

As you know, you can be 100% perfect on the street only to limp once on track, under track conditions.

Here's a tip: Set the valet RPM to 2000. That way, if you limp, you can hot pit, restart and immediately be on "stock settings". That's the only way to properly test your limp-proneness
I'm getting them when moving through a high speed straight->downshift for a hard turn->on boost through the apex and the next straight. I've gotten them at the end of braking in 10a at Road Atlanta and at the hairpin at Barber, which is turn 5. It's hard to say at exactly what point it occurs during this transition. I know it's after the first down shift and before I'm at the track out point, but I'm not exactly starting at my gauges through that whole period.

EDIT: What I'm experiencing happens more on colder days. There was snow on the ground at Barber two weekends ago.

I haven't gotten one during a highspeed upshift since I moved up to V2. I used to get them when running v1.5 even on 98 octane.
      03-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post

Its a little different that autocross..especially on a 80-100 degree day..when you are out there for 25-30 minutes...4-10 times per day. I have gotten oil temps to 285 on a few occasions...

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post

Same here..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

I went to the track once with the SSTT and had no issues. However it was a relatively cool day (about 75F).

IMHO the extra power from V2 is not worth the hassle. I want to go to the track and just run...the last thing a person wants is mechanical problems.
      03-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #15
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
fairly regularly reacing 17-19psi and a maximum spike up to 24psi. To be clear i'm not talking about blips up to a peak with the throttle body closed and a near instant drop to normal levels after acceleration resumes, I'm talking about a moderate fast build and it holding for a second or so then falling off.
Have you considered the Dinan tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep

I have, but I think it's overpriced. Most things from Dinan are imo, and historically (not 335 specific) I've seen as many problems with Dinan tunes as I have anyone elses.

I'm honestly looking for other options. Dinan would be a last resort. I'd probably go to someone local before going to them.
      03-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #17
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Wish I could help you with the procede, but i'm AT.
Been running V2.0, 90%, 96 octane at the track with 14 psi and no significant spikes or limp mode.
Maybe V2.1 will make a difference for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #18
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
Wish I could help you with the procede, but i'm AT.
Been running V2.0, 90%, 96 octane at the track with 14 psi and no significant spikes or limp mode.
Maybe V2.1 will make a difference for you.
Your sig pic...braking for T10 at Thunderhill.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #19
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Yep, gives you time to think about T11
Appreciate 0