E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New to tuning: custom tune by shop or do it myself?

12-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

New to tuning: custom tune by shop or do it myself?

Hi forum, this is my first post. I recently purchased my 2nd BMW 335i. My first BMW was a 2001 330ci, my last one was a 2011 335i coupe with all of the packages, including M Sport. I loved the couple but I wanted a convertible. I now own a 2008 335i convertible automatic, one owner, excellent condition, 92k miles.

This is a 2nd car, not my primary, driven on weekends for fun only. I am mechanical but these European engines are new to me. I grew up in the 70s and 80s working on small and big block chevy engines. We turned wrenches back then, no computers :-)

I want to add some HP and want smoother/quicker acceleration. I am not going to race the car. I just want to keep that big grin on my face every time I step on the gas pedal :-)

I've read a lot of forum posts on different ways to tune. From my readings I did some research on the Cobb Accessport. I contacted a local tuning shop to talk about this.

They recommended the following instead:

- Custom dyno tune calibration using MHD software - 93 octane
- cp-e cold-air intakes

They'd like to tune the engine to perform better on 93 octane fuel.

Their quote is $1029. The Cobb Accessport is $650 and looks straight forward to install.

When I asked the shop about Cobb versus MHD and them doing the tune versus me doing the tune they said:

"- Cobb and MHD both offer off the shelf (OTS) map packs
- OTS maps are very generic maps that are not optimized for your specific vehicle, how it responds to those tuning changes, and are not guaranteed for functionality

The comparison I made last for you was between a purchasing a Cobb device, flashing the OTS map yourself, and us getting an MHD custom dyno tune done using the bare minimum. Getting you all the pros of custom tuning (knowing its safe, knowing a pro is looking at the car and optimizing it for our barometric pressure zone, getting a dyno video, getting power results on paper, etc.). I did this to showcase for the same cost of you purchasing a Cobb device and going through the hassle of learning how to flash it yourself, as well as a bunch of features you’d likely never need, you could have the car custom dyno tuned using MHD. Having been the Cobb direction on my own car, listening to how you plan on using the car, and the financial investment range you’re interested in… MHD custom tune would be your best back for buck in a lot of ways.

Can you just purchase a super license and flash on an MHD map? Yes, but again you’d be purchasing a bunch of features and solutions you’d never use. You’d also have to buy an MHD Wifi adapter, and KDCan cable which would be overkill for your use.

My recommendation? Go MHD basic license for custom tuning (~$100 depending on currency exchange at the time) and let Vlad handle the custom dyno tune procedure for you. It costs the same as an OTS map, is better than an OTS map, you don’t waste features, and it takes the hassle out of your hands. And should you want more power, bolt-ons and a retune fee is all you need for a return visit. License fee taken care of, and you still don’t have to buy a cable, or software device."

I followed up asking them how much the retune charge is if I want to bring the car back in. They said $300 depending on the tune.

Should I go MHD custom, or go with Cobb and do it myself? Or another solution?

Thanks,

Greg
Appreciate 1
bcmfla10.50
      12-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Do you have any hardware based mods on the car currently?

IMHO, in terms of performance, bespoke tunes will always trump OTS stuff. But that being said, the current MHD OTS maps are pretty thoroughly tried and tested with on our platforms both stock and with the common bolt on configurations.

Unless you're running ST or doing a more in depth build, Idk if the cost can really justify the price of a custom tune, especially with the retune fees.

MHD's super license allows unlimited reflashes after the initial purchase. Which is a single $250 up front. Sure you may not need certain features, but then, you also get to play with turning stuff on and off and see what you like
Appreciate 3
Jesse_M11.00
Dave92N54528.00
bcmfla10.50
      12-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Go with OTS MHD maps. There is no need to go with a custom tune unless you have hardware that the tunes doesn't account for(that would be inlets/outlets, bigger turbos, meth injection, etc..). OTS tunes will work just fine, you just won't get the absolute most performance out of the parts on the car, which is perfectly fine and better for reliability anyways as you're not pushing everything to their limits.
Appreciate 1
bcmfla10.50
      12-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Another vote for MHD OTS maps. I'm not sure I follow the claims being made by this tuning shop. Right now the difference in price between the MHD basic and super licenses is $185. Are they only charging $185 for the first tune but then $300 for a retune? That doesn't make sense. And beyond this, I find it to be essential to have the ability to take logs and learn how to perform a basic analysis of your car from time to time. The MHD super license gives you that tool and it's dead easy to use. Finally, if you've got the hardware to support whatever MHD tune you're running, you're going to be safe. They're a proven combination of performance and safety margin.
      12-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Another vote for MHD. I. Assuming the car is all stock....right? Don't waste your time or money with a custom tune.

As you add bolt-ons (downpipes, intake, FMIC, etc,etc) you can change tunes in MHD to keep building power.

Until you upgrade turbos.....stay with MHD. It's pretty cheap, easy, and can give you some big gains in power.

Just remember....do your maintenance before you start messing with tunes. Replace the coils, plugs, service the transmission, etc,etc......then you are good to go, and shouldn't have any issues.

Might be a good idea to upgrade the charge pipe too.....stock ones tent to pop from th added boost an aftermarket tune develops.
Appreciate 2
Smgs1992720.00
bcmfla10.50
      12-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. This is a stock car.

What do I need to buy hardware wise to do the MHD tune? I read I will need a battery charger, is that correct?
Appreciate 1
bcmfla10.50
      12-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You will want a battery charger to keep the battery charged while flashing the tune. First time tune will take about 20 min to flash onto the DME. Then to actually flash you'll need a phone or tablet. Either android or iphone will work as both are supported now. Then you'll need to be able to connect to the car. If using an Iphone you have to use a bluetooth obd connector. If you are using Android you can use the bluetooth adapter or you can use a DCAN cable with OTG cable to connect to USB port on your phone.

So:
*Battery charger/tender
*Phone/Tablet
*DCAN+OTG cable or Bluetooth OBD adapter
Appreciate 1
bcmfla10.50
      12-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #8
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Depending on what phone you have a kdcan cable or the MHD wifi adapter. Battery charger and i highly recommend a metal chargepipe VRSF makes a great one with no fitment issues. You can tun the stock diverter valves or get a blow off valve. The stock one is made of plastic and tends to explode under any more boost than stock and can leave you stranded on the side of the road.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
bcmfla10.50
      12-12-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Yep....charge pipe, BOV....might as well throw a bigger intercooler in it....oh, and those downpipes really help,.....it can get addictive going down the bolt-ons rabbit hole 😁
Appreciate 1
bcmfla10.50
      12-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Check out the FS section maybe you'll find something there you want

And definitely don't waste that money on those tune suggestions you listed, way way overpriced for what you want. MHD ots maps are great, dl on your phone and get a WiFi adapter, plenty of choices for you to go up in power in steps. For $1k you could technically be at stage 2 with parts on the cheap.

Edit:

ONLY $300 for each retune, wow! I would have said gtfo here, no way.

What he means to say by the ots tunes not being optimized is, they are not maximized gains for your engine. They are inherently safer tunes though as they are not pushing the absolute limits for hp that the tuner will be, they are though made for our engines. An n54 is an n54, don't let him word play you around on that. Plus, you want those extra features you're paying for on the Super License, like monitoring your car, diagnosing, reading error codes etc. Why would you want to be completely dependent on somebody else to take care of your vehicle when an issue pops up. You'll have a misfire and not know wtf to do without this guy now. No way. Pay him to diagnose AND still be paying for parts, because over time you will be going through parts so you know.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete

Last edited by BSM n54iS; 12-12-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
bcmfla10.50
      12-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks again for the detailed and timely feedback. I have an Android 6 phone.

Yeah, I didn't get a good vibe from the custom tune shop.

Drove it today first time with the top down. I heard burbles, which surprised me. I didn't think you'd get them stock. My 2011 335i coupe did not do them. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #12
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

We're on similar paths. My E93 is intended as a fair weather car. If your not driving it in the winters I'd get a battery tender/charger regardless of MHD. They're good at making life easier with cars that tend to sit for months. In my research Cobb was never an option as it's no longer supported. I didn't want that. I'm not tracking the car beyond a few passes on a 1/4 mile once I've got it where I want it. So, MHD super license is where I'm headed. As far as hardware needed it seems as though you simply need the OBD2 cable or a suitable wifi OBD2 adapter. I ended up buying the Bimmergeeks protool suit and their BT adapter as well....it will connect to MHD. That's all you NEED to physically flash the MHD tunes to your car, but supporting mods, or lack there of, seems to be what kills the fun. So like others have suggested go over any preventative maintenance items 1st (coils and plugs, go over the cooling system, rectify any oil leaks, etc.) and at a minimum get your self a new charge pipe. I've done the charge pipe & BOV, the dci and the intercooler. Replacing all vacuum lines might be a consideration too. I'm still on the stock tune for now as I want to change all the coils and plugs, then possibly the index 12 injector upgrade before I start tuning it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #13
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

A friend who races Porches' and has had his wife's 335i BMW tuned referred me to another shop. I spoke with the shop today, and was impressed. They would like me to bring the car in for them to spend a day with it, going thru it, to make sure it can handle a Stage 1 without any maintenance (plugs, coils, charge pipe, etc.). Based on my comments to them on how I plan to use the car they said all I need is a Stage 1.

If it does need maintenance, they will give me a price to do it.

They proposed Dinan given my requirements, but said they can do MHD, whichever one I prefer.

Last edited by Gregrobin; 12-14-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Congratulations on finding a place your comfortable with and good luck with it. The more and more I think on it the more I think I might be better served going the JB4 route. Possibly do the MHD back end flash down the road. It's seeming like it might be the safer option for someone of my skill set.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #15
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
A friend who races Porches' and has had his wife's 335i BMW tuned referred me to another shop. I spoke with the shop today, and was impressed. They would like me to bring the car in for them to spend a day with it, going thru it, to make sure it can handle a Stage 1 without any maintenance (plugs, coils, charge pipe, etc.). Based on my comments to them on how I plan to use the car they said all I need is a Stage 1.

They proposed Dinan given my requirements, but said they can do MHD, whichever one I prefer.
Do NOT go with Dinan. You'll get a more expensive tune, that probably makes less power stage v stage compared to MHD. Plus MHD has a bunch of options for the flashes, I don't think Dinan has anything of the sort.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #16
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

How long have you had your 335i?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #17
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

Plugs and Coils are recommended before tuning and charge upgrade too as stock plastic one can crack or blow,

Why a tuning shop would recommend you run stage 1 without doing any plugs /coils or upgrading charge pipe beats me,

Do you want to bring the car back after it misfires eventually or avoid the situation as best as possible?

You want some degree of reliability right?

A charge pipe upgrade is almost a must, unless you want to risk being stranded,

As advised avoid Dinan or any custom stage 1 tune, it's a waste of money,

You can flash stage 1 MHD for cheaper and with equivalent power or better.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #18
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Go back and search threads from, like, ~5 years ago...the answers are there from this exact question being answered 1000x already.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #19
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
How long have you had your 335i?
This is my 2nd one. I've owned it 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #20
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Plugs and Coils are recommended before tuning and charge upgrade too as stock plastic one can crack or blow,

Why a tuning shop would recommend you run stage 1 without doing any plugs /coils or upgrading charge pipe beats me,

Do you want to bring the car back after it misfires eventually or avoid the situation as best as possible?

You want some degree of reliability right?

A charge pipe upgrade is almost a must, unless you want to risk being stranded,

As advised avoid Dinan or any custom stage 1 tune, it's a waste of money,

You can flash stage 1 MHD for cheaper and with equivalent power or better.
Yes, I want reliability. The shop said based on what I want to do with the car a stage 1 is all I need. I didn't say the shop recommend stage 1 without plugs, coils or charge pipe. The asked me to bring in for them to go.thru it to see what maintenance it may need for a stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #21
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

If it was me...I wouldn't pay a shop a single dollar. Download the MHD app for your phone, buy the cable you need, change the plugs, coils, and charge pipe. Install everything over a weekend (probably more like 2hrs worst case), spend 20min and flash the new tune......save a fortune, get more power.

Maybe it's just me.....but I would never pay a shop good money for something so simple a monkey could do it.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2020, 12:10 AM   #22
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Yes, I want reliability. The shop said based on what I want to do with the car a stage 1 is all I need. I didn't say the shop recommend stage 1 without plugs, coils or charge pipe. The asked me to bring in for them to go.thru it to see what maintenance it may need for a stage 1.
Ok, if that's the case then it's fine, but cheaper to do them yourself.

Last edited by Saif2018; 12-15-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0