E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone else going to watch WRC in Wales this weekend?

11-12-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

Anyone else going to watch WRC in Wales this weekend?

Me and some mates will be heading up to Wales this weekend from Plymouth to watch the WRC

Wondering if anyone else from on here is going to be heading up?

We're hoping to head up early Saturday to maybe catch the end of a couple stages and the pits

Will be my first visit to WRC but have been to a couple classic rallies and other rally events in Wales, must say they are a really good day

Watched an old black MK1 Golf roll in one rally which was quite painful to see as the car looked pretty mint
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M Sport

Shame I have only just seen this, I was there Saturday, and got thoroughly soaked as I am sure you did too!

Caught the mid morning stage, and went back for the evening stage. Found a hairpin shortly after turn 8 I think which made for some entertaining viewing.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Likewise with the soaked bit! Was an awesome weekend, was impressive going to the service stage and seeing what gear the teams had, VW had a diagnostic cable that hung from the ceiling of their pits that plugged in to their car as they were being worked on

Hyundai had a massive office block almost, with a receptionist, what looked like a restaurant upstairs and air conditioned pit areas! I couldn't get over it!

We watched the first run on Sunday out exposed in the weather and got absolutely drenched and during the break we went and took some cover in one of the foresty areas, managed to get a fire going (incredible considering everything was soaked through) which made it all a little more comfortable, overall a properly good weekend and a good experience as I've never done WRC before
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

A fire is a great idea, didnt think of that!!

We wanted to do the pit area to see the kit and setup (we did the Welsh rally last year and said next time we are visiting the pit area), but didnt get round to it.

Will probably end up there next year again and the pits is a 100% next time round.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Apparently the guys I went with did WRC a few years ago and the marshalls called held the rally up until they put the fire out so we were half expecting the marshalls to be the same this year but they were pretty laid back, one woman said "we'll be over to join later!" Think they were only so easy because they knew how poor the weather was for everyone

And I couldn't reccommend the pits enough, and although it sounds silly if there is someone you want to see come in or maybe meet, it might say that they arrive at 21:10 but make sure you're there at least an hour before to get a good spot, we waiting for an hour and a bit to see Kris Meeke and Mads Ostberg come in and it got fairly packed pretty quickly, got a couple pictures and an autograph from them both as well
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like you really made the most of it! Some of the lads I was with didnt even have full waterproofs, so a fire would have gone down a treat!

The pits is without doubt on the cards for next time, especially now you have given me an insight to them. I didn't think they would be that open, only certain drivers doing meet and greets etc. A far cry from Forumla 1 which is good to see!
Appreciate 0