E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Things to look out for on N54

01-15-2024, 09:46 PM   #23
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtimekegger View Post

Interior still looks and functions as new. Water pump I have gone through 4 of them (seems to be the Achilles heal).

Changes batteries a couple times, injectors once, alternator once, serpentine belt once, carbon cleaning twice, ect. Engine and manual transmission still runs strong and shifts seamlessly (changed transmission fluid 3 times and rear diff fluid 3 times), sensors as they fail I will replace.

Over the course of my ownership, if I break it down on a per-year cost, it has been VERY manageable.
Besides the waterpumps have you had to replace any main coolant hoses?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:41 PM   #24
STATIC A$TRO
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Garage List
I got a 335 as my daily, I haven't driven it in 9 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:45 PM   #25
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATIC A$TRO View Post
I got a 335 as my daily, I haven't driven it in 9 months.
Definitely not the first time I've heard something like that. I would never own one of these cars without a second vehicle as a backup.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2024, 02:02 PM   #26
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Definitely not the first time I've heard something like that. I would never own one of these cars without a second vehicle as a backup.
depends, for someone that dont know shit about cars and never touched a tool of his whole life and don't bother to see the dealer, I agree.

On stock form, all maintenance done and uptodate, I dont see any issue. N54 can give you issues, but probably never to the point to need a towing to go back home.
I see often 335 with high mileage, stock, from a older person that took great care.

My cousin and I, got probably the worst audi engine ever made, and it our daily, he got 303k km, and do 7-8h trip 2time a year. He did rebuilt his engine only once, but he knows the weak points and he knows when its gonna fail.
Audi B7 2007 with the 2.0t fsi. This car will need a towing if no maintenance is done (timing belt, cam chain, oil pump and balancing shaft are prone to break no warning)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #27
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
This exactly. I drove a 96' Toyota RAV4 for years while owning (throwing $$$ at) my current 335i. Now days I daily the wife's car 75% of the time and drive on the bmw or my truck outside of that. Regardless, if you don't enjoy wrenching on cars or have a fat bank account the 335i isn't for you.

Example; my clutch (original) started slipping a month ago. Car is drivable but not spirited. Time to sit in the garage until I can afford parts and replace it. Fun stuff right??

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 01-22-2024 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 02:18 PM   #28
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
This exactly. I drove a 96' Toyota RAV4 for years while owning (throwing $$$ at) my current 335i. Now days I daily the wife's car 75% of the time and work on the car or square body Chevy. 400hp, summer tires, and winter weather don't mix. If you don't enjoy wrenching on cars or have a fat bank account the 335i isn't for you.
what you guys missing in the story, the guy modified it more than a usual fbo, aka single turbo and seems to be a incomplete kit & built.

every tuning shop will tell you, no matter the car brand, instead of going stage 3, just buy a car that can do better on a stage 1 or 2 or even better, stock.

(stage 3 considered as changing or adding induction)
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2024, 02:22 PM   #29
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just under 160k miles with 50k on mhd/xhp.
~40k was fbo and on e30-50.

Did diff, trans and engine oil at 105k (pre-emptive).
Plugs, coils, and boost solenoids at the same time (also pre-emptive)

Original VCG and Waterpump replaced (120k and 130k respectively).

Outside of that, this car hasn't given me any issues. Hell, My cup holders and Seatbelt extenders still work.

Would still back this statement 100%. This car's timing is wild

Quote:
I would never own one of these cars without a second vehicle as a backup.

Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 07:12 PM   #30
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

IMO people largely over exaggerate the n54 issues/ownership experience. I’ve had 3 n54s since 2013 and all have been nothing but great to me. I’ve never had a major issue with any or them and they’ve all been tuned and all over 100k miles. My first I took to 166k miles and with very minimal issues. Next owner upgraded the turbos and took it to 200k before wrecking it.

Injectors are problematic (index 11 or 12 is a big plus)
Oil filter housing gasket
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
Turbos tend to wear and rattle
Water pumps aren’t great

But they’re 15 year old performance oriented cars. Pretty normal maintenance stuff honestly, most new cars have issues with injectors and carbon build up and timing chains. In 11 years of daily driving only a modified n54 car I’ve been stranded exactly once for a failed water pump.

Great cars, just know what you’re getting yourself into.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2024, 09:55 AM   #31
STATIC A$TRO
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Lots, and lots of things to look out for. Search google, and read everything you can find.

Just remember, anything with an N54 in it is something that's going to require lots of maintenance, and TLC in order to keep it running right. And even then they will give you issues.

Get a good code scanner, and learn how to use it. MHD is great if you want to boost the power, and also take logs (it really helps with troubleshooting).

These are more fun/weekend/play cars...not "this is my only mode of transportation" type. Just way too many little things to go wrong and leave you stranded. If you don't have a reliable daily drive, DON't get a 335i.
instructions unclear, its been 9 months and i still havent driven it . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 10:40 AM   #32
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
IMO people largely over exaggerate the n54 issues/ownership experience. I’ve had 3 n54s since 2013 and all have been nothing but great to me. I’ve never had a major issue with any or them and they’ve all been tuned and all over 100k miles. My first I took to 166k miles and with very minimal issues. Next owner upgraded the turbos and took it to 200k before wrecking it.

Injectors are problematic (index 11 or 12 is a big plus)
Oil filter housing gasket
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
Turbos tend to wear and rattle
Water pumps aren’t great

But they’re 15 year old performance oriented cars. Pretty normal maintenance stuff honestly, most new cars have issues with injectors and carbon build up and timing chains. In 11 years of daily driving only a modified n54 car I’ve been stranded exactly once for a failed water pump.

Great cars, just know what you’re getting yourself into.
the list you've mentioned can really happen near the warranty.
For normal people that don't know shit about cars, this is definition of a bad unreliable car, and imo they are right.

Now, is it dramatic ? no, so car guys will take this all day long in exchange of low car value and insane performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATIC A$TRO View Post
instructions unclear, its been 9 months and i still havent driven it . . .
what's the status on that ?
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50