E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 318d Sports Plus - Preventative Maintenance

06-28-2023, 04:03 AM   #23
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Yes thats true!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 05:52 AM   #24
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Just changed my order at Auto doc from B6 to B8 shocks - there's a 41% off sale through the app.

I wanted B8 shocks instead of B6 so they will offer the 41% off (for today) if you contact them by message as the rear B8 are not showing as discounted (£126 in the app)

For reference he is my order with B8 Shocks and the other parts you need to do this job with the exception of the rear tops mounts from Amazon that i gave a link to earlier.
B6/B8 shocks come with integral bumps stops and dust covers so you dont need to buy these separately.
Attached Images

Last edited by Will_460cs; 06-28-2023 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2023, 02:16 AM   #25
DaveySprocket
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 318D Sports Plus

Anybody had this issue before? On the hose between the oil filler and air intake, oil is accumulating for some reason, I've been told it could be the breather valve in the rocker box causing it. (N47 Diesel btw)
Name:  IMG_20230625_154022_HDR.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  204.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 02:58 AM   #26
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveySprocket View Post
Anybody had this issue before? On the hose between the oil filler and air intake, oil is accumulating for some reason, I've been told it could be the breather valve in the rocker box causing it. (N47 Diesel btw)
Attachment 3216526

I don't know that engine but it looks like a pcv tube, they often crack. if the PCV has failed then it shoves oil past and back into the intake to be burn off.

Normally test for pcv valve is to find the nipple on the rocker cover and see if it sucks in smoke or fluid. as the pcv is one valve.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2023, 09:30 AM   #27
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

That hose is a common failure point. Remove and check for damage, cracks etc
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 02:22 AM   #28
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

In my quest to find a decent BMW parts supplier in the UK, I emailed three companies asking about the suspension situation, BMW Parts Online, Munich Legends, and Linwar Motors. Munich Legends were the least knowledgeable in their reply, so I didn't pursue wit them. Linwar did seem to know what they were talking about, but were quite expensive. Danny from BMW Parts Online has been mega helpful and patient, and his prices, all for OEM stuff (Sachs Springs) are very reasonable.

I can't do the work until the first week of August, so I am still building up a list of parts I might as well order at the same time, like new gas struts for the tail gate, as the old ones don't have the oomph to lift it anymore.

I will look at Michelin Pilot Sports for sure, I am not impressed with the mileage I am getting from the Uniroyal.

Somewhat annoyingly we set off back from a weekend break last weekend, only to discover that I had a broken front spring. After wasting time with RAC who were clearly never going to provide any kind of realistic response, I set too and changed it myself, with some assistance from my BIL. So at least I know how to get the struts off now. Was surprised at how the gas strut sucks down, rather than up as well, seems like a BMW anomaly, that doesn't make life any easier when changing springs..
Suggest you Google bmwpartsonline reviews. It's not great...
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2023, 05:13 AM   #29
DaveySprocket
Rep

Right, good call, thanks for that..

Scuppers my plans a bit though because I am wanting to switch from M suspension to standard, and don't have standard part numbers.

I wonder if I can just find a standard car for sale on Autotrader and use the registration on Autodoc to find the standard springs and dampers..

I will send Autodoc an email and see what they say..

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 06:40 AM   #30
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Just use realoem to find the part numbers. And Sachs catalog to find the springs. Or use autodoc by inputting the model directly instead of the reg.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2023, 03:16 PM   #31
DaveySprocket
Rep

I can't really use realOEM to find the standard parts because I don't have a VIN number for a standard car.

I compared parts using my Reg and a standard car reg on AUTODOC and the parts were exactly the same..

Unfortunately it seems like the Sport Plus E91 is a bit of an anomaly, as when I use realOEM with my VIN number it comes up with different parts.

I think I've got the suspension sussed though, but I wonder if AUTODOC would notice if I was buying stuff that wasn't compatible, or whether they just ship stuff out without checking.

Anyway thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 03:24 PM   #32
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

You can use it (realoem), just select the option for the car manually without the vin,

IF your stuck I can create a basket for you.

TBJ the biggest improvement to be made is to move to some decent shock absorbers like Bilstein b6/B8.

Combined with replacing the top mounts and rubber bits in each end of the shock.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2023, 04:12 PM   #33
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Autodoc don't care what you order - they will ship what you order regardless of the car you have selected
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2023, 04:57 AM   #34
DaveySprocket
Rep

So Autodoc got back to me and gave me a list of all the standard parts for my car, which is not what I wanted , but is useful as a reference. They said they would only supply parts based on the VIN.

However using realOEM and standard car registrations I have been able to make comparisons. Curiously realOEM doesn't have a part number for the E91 Touring of my vintage at all..

From my comparisons, the standard front springs are 30mm higher than M ones and the rears are only 12mm? I would have thought the springs were the main factor in determining the ride height, so that seems strange.. It hardly seems worth the effort to gain 12mm!

I am looking at Sachs for all springs and dampers, to be honest Bilstein are out of my budget, bearing in mind my car is maybe worth £5000?

Anyway I think I have the hang of all the parts, but am now mostly confused by the different options on the top mounts and rubber bits, even Lemforder seem to have more than one option for these.

Also do I need these, or do they come with the shocks?
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1231044

Thank you so much to the folks that are helping me out with this, I really appreciate your patience and tolerance!

Cheers, Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 06:27 AM   #35
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

If you're buying stock/Sachs shocks, you'll need to buy bump stops and boots, yes.

Weird that autodoc told you they would only supply parts for your vin...they don't even have the vin of my car or any of the others I've bought parts for. Makes no sense!

How did you reach those numbers for the springs? Are they the free length of the springs, or?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2023, 10:08 AM   #36
DaveySprocket
Rep

I've just had another look at rear springs and the different manufactures springs are all different lengths, so maybe what they are stating is irrelevant..

Bilstein don't quote a length..

The length is part of the listing for each spring:
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...0%5D%5B5%5D=HA
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 01:16 AM   #37
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

You can't equate free length to ride height without knowing the spring rate too. It's really difficult to get that right
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 02:42 AM   #38
DaveySprocket
Rep

Well basically there are only two options from Sachs for the springs and dampers, standard and M spec, so I figure mine is fitted with the M spec. If I get standard shocks and springs it should all fit fine and give me a bit more height, which is what I want.

I am assuming, and hoping, fingers crossed, that there are no other differences that could cause problems..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 06:27 AM   #39
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, that'll work out fine.

You should also get the standard bump stops. And technically there are standard/M-sport top mounts for the front struts, but there's only about 3mm in it so it won't matter which you get
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 04:45 PM   #40
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well basically there are only two options from Sachs for the springs and dampers, standard and M spec, so I figure mine is fitted with the M spec. If I get standard shocks and springs it should all fit fine and give me a bit more height, which is what I want.

I am assuming, and hoping, fingers crossed, that there are no other differences that could cause problems..
BMW OEM springs are not just Mtech or std, they have a spring rating based on the weight of the car.

Good aftermarket will actually differentiate by axles weight eg EIBACH Pro kits - there are a re few for the E90 based on axle weight.

If you have oem springs then there be a sticker on them with a letter and then a number this is the weight code.

TIP: Make sure you order from SACH catalogue for the axle weights of your vehicle there is more than one std spring.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 05:19 PM   #41
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So Autodoc got back to me and gave me a list of all the standard parts for my car, which is not what I wanted , but is useful as a reference. They said they would only supply parts based on the VIN.

However using realOEM and standard car registrations I have been able to make comparisons. Curiously realOEM doesn't have a part number for the E91 Touring of my vintage at all..

From my comparisons, the standard front springs are 30mm higher than M ones and the rears are only 12mm? I would have thought the springs were the main factor in determining the ride height, so that seems strange.. It hardly seems worth the effort to gain 12mm!

I am looking at Sachs for all springs and dampers, to be honest Bilstein are out of my budget, bearing in mind my car is maybe worth £5000?

Anyway I think I have the hang of all the parts, but am now mostly confused by the different options on the top mounts and rubber bits, even Lemforder seem to have more than one option for these.

Also do I need these, or do they come with the shocks?
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1231044

Thank you so much to the folks that are helping me out with this, I really appreciate your patience and tolerance!

Cheers, Dave
The bilstein b6/b8 with all the bits needed (Front top mounts, rear top mounts and lower mounts) minus springs just cost me £580? is that out of your budget?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 02:50 AM   #42
DaveySprocket
Rep

I appreciate you probably have a different perspective on things Will when you are driving an M3, but our lowly 2.0d can manage on Sachs springs and shocks. I find the standard ride pretty good anyway, so with a freshen up and a bit more height to clear speed bumps etc, she should be grand.

I maybe should have mentioned all the parts I am looking at are specifically for my model e91, so they should all be correct for the weight of the vehicle.

I'm ordering all the bump stops, mountings, caps, rubbers, dust covers etc that I can get part numbers for.

Anyway thanks again for all the help
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 04:05 PM   #43
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate you probably have a different perspective on things Will when you are driving an M3, but our lowly 2.0d can manage on Sachs springs and shocks. I find the standard ride pretty good anyway, so with a freshen up and a bit more height to clear speed bumps etc, she should be grand.

I maybe should have mentioned all the parts I am looking at are specifically for my model e91, so they should all be correct for the weight of the vehicle.

I'm ordering all the bump stops, mountings, caps, rubbers, dust covers etc that I can get part numbers for.

Anyway thanks again for all the help
Sorry maybe that came across wrong, what I was trying to say is the price difference between SACHS/Bilstein OEM vs B6/B8 is about £200. Having done B4s before on the e91 I felt I cheeped out and wish I had stuck B6/b8.

Personally having driven M-tech vs std, I prefer the Mtech spring spring rates. - The drop in height on std springs is negligible at the back and about 30mm at the front.

BTW I have M3 on KW Clubsport , e91 325i converted to 330I (running b4s on standard m-tech springs) and 335I E90 n55 which will run B8 ( have just order) on the std mtech springs.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2023, 02:18 AM   #44
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Change in ride height between SE and M-sport is 16mm all round
Appreciate 1