E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > rocker cover gasket

12-23-2023, 07:28 PM   #1
bezzledon
Rep
Drives: bmw e93 335i

rocker cover gasket

hey, I've had a misfire on my e93 335i, when checking the engine over noticed a pool of oil in cylinder 3 spark plug hole (and no this isn't from topping the oil up), so I'm going to assume its safe to say i need a new rocker valve gasket.

Do i change just the gasket or does the valve cover need replacing too, as I've herd they can warp? and is it better to stay oem or upgrade to an aluminum cover?
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 01:34 AM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzledon View Post
hey, I've had a misfire on my e93 335i, when checking the engine over noticed a pool of oil in cylinder 3 spark plug hole (and no this isn't from topping the oil up), so I'm going to assume its safe to say i need a new rocker valve gasket.

Do i change just the gasket or does the valve cover need replacing too, as I've herd they can warp? and is it better to stay oem or upgrade to an aluminum cover?
Thanks
I've had this same internal conversation, and still haven't fully decided which way to go. I actually bought genuine gaskets, but am probably going to return and get an aftermarket rocker/valve cover. I've read a lot, and it seems like the inexpensive aftermarket plastic ones are fine. Getting a metal one seems hit or miss, so I think I'll avoid. I'm not going to go w/ genuine, but am trying to decide between Rein (mid-price) and Amazon (cheap).

So anyway, long/short of it is that I think going for full cover replacement is the way to go, but can't recommend a best option to do that.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 04:35 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Not sure the ali cover is a swap on the N53. I would recommend replacing the cover, not just the gasket. By doing so you'll install a new PCV system (which is incorporated in the cover) which will give you years of trouble-free operation.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 12:23 AM   #4
bezzledon
Rep
Drives: bmw e93 335i

I was going to go with a new gasket as a minimum, and from what ive been reading up, everyone's saying to stay with the plastic rocker cover and not aluminum due to hit and miss fitting/manufacturing and the fact the aluminum ones do not have channels etc for correct oil flows inside the cover.....not sure if this is true or not as i cant seem to find internal picture of the aluminum ones.
Appreciate 0