E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > This makes no sense

04-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
rc51
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

This makes no sense

First: Hi - I have been lurking and reading for months now. Current car: 98 540i -- getting on in miles, so I decided to go check out a 335i sedan. Wow. I test drove it on a Wednesday, then the following Monday (a few weeks ago) decided to give them a deposit and put in my order: 335i sedan, MT, Sport Package, Arctic Metallic over Black, light wood. The CA told me that I would be set for May production, and that we would have several weeks before I needed to make a final decision on color and options. I had not yet seen an Artic Metallic car in person, so I was a little unsure of my color choice.

Last week he calls me up and tells me that they have an Artctic Metallic 335 I can look at, so I go over there on my lunch hour and eyeball the car. I like. I start asking about the fold down rear seats, (i need to transport a bicycle occasionally) and decide that I need to add the Cold Weather Package to my order. He tells me no problem.

So three or four days later, he calls me and tells me that we cannot make any changes. BMW has LOCKED the car, and no changes are possible. No CW package. I say WTF? So all that bull$%^& with me looking at colors and making a final decision was a waste of time? All the stuff you told me about being able to make changes until right before production was wrong? WTF.

I mean, the car is going to be built in May and delivered in June. It is now April 30. He is telling me that I can make no changes on a car that is not yet built. And I have to take the car that comes. I told him that I want the car I want, and it should have the CW package, or I will get my deposit back and take my business elsewhere.

How can BMW refuse to make changes to a car that doesn't even exist yet? Anyone else had this happen to you?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
What week in May? Approximately a week before production the order is locked/frozen and no changes can be made. You can imagine why, I'm sure. If your car is going to be delivered in June, then it must be scheduled for EARLY May production.

That's my guess.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
What week in May? Approximately a week before production the order is locked/frozen and no changes can be made. You can imagine why, I'm sure. If your car is going to be delivered in June, then it must be scheduled for EARLY May production.

That's my guess.
+1
The car is probably scheduled for production already.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
rc51
Private
Rep

so my CA is just an idiot, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

according to your post, you said that you put a deposit down a few weeks ago and the CA told you that you had a few weeks to make changes. I guess a few weeks have passed since that day. So in essence your CA is not an idiot; he's doing everything by the book.

Not all is lost though because you could just cancel the order and place a deposit for another car (with the same CA hopefully). For what it's worth, it's your job to research the car and know what you want BEFORE you place the order. Changing your mind so close production date is just frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
+1
The car is probably scheduled for production already.
look on the positive side and
be happpy your car is going into production so quickly.. you can always get a bike rack
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
rc51
Private
Rep

Well, what he told me was that he would let me know when the car was going into production, so I would know when the final date to make changes was. The fact that he had me go look at the color combo the same day means that he still thought I could make changes.

and it is not MY job to research all the details of the car - it is the salesperson's job. He is supposed to ask the relevant questions to make sure that I get what I want.

The thing that I don't understand is how BMW can refuse to make any changes (and adding CW package doesn't change much) to a car before it is built. Are their inventories of parts that tight? I would be willing to wait longer to get the car as I want. I am not screaming to get it ASAP, I just want it right.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51 View Post
Well, what he told me was that he would let me know when the car was going into production, so I would know when the final date to make changes was. The fact that he had me go look at the color combo the same day means that he still thought I could make changes.

and it is not MY job to research all the details of the car - it is the salesperson's job. He is supposed to ask the relevant questions to make sure that I get what I want.

The thing that I don't understand is how BMW can refuse to make any changes (and adding CW package doesn't change much) to a car before it is built. Are their inventories of parts that tight? I would be willing to wait longer to get the car as I want. I am not screaming to get it ASAP, I just want it right.

if your not in a hurry to get the car, and you can not live without fold down seats.. let the CA sell your allocation to the next guy, and then start over and place a new order.. and push for a few more bucks off the price for the hassel
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

The workers must now what to put on the car. THe whole production process is complicated. It's not as easy as 1-2-3 thus the car goes can no longer be modified about a week prior to production.

While it is the CA's job to know the products, it is the client's responsibility to communicate that need. Im not trying to be a dick in anyway here, Im just simply playing devil's advocate. If you have a bike and usually transport it here and there, wouldnt it make sense to ask about it before placing the deposit? Also, Im sure you did a lot of research on the car prior to the deposit.

On the other hand, I guess the CA should have asked you if you wanted other options.

ANyway, just call him, cancel it and order another one.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Call up your CA and cancel the order. Most likely, they're going to just let it go through since the car will sell itself when it reaches the dealer.

Who knows, maybe you can still order one the way that you like and still be in the early May production and get your car in June.

The deposit is refundable if you want to go to another dealer. I don't think your CA will have a problem putting in a new order for you.

Good luck!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51 View Post
The thing that I don't understand is how BMW can refuse to make any changes (and adding CW package doesn't change much) to a car before it is built. Are their inventories of parts that tight?
Yes their parts inventory is major league JIT. On the Munich plant tour, they said about 4-hours of inventory. Basically the metal is plated in the morning and by lunch time, it's welded for a car already. Because they produce the cars for anywhere in the world on the same production line, a change would throw the production line into chaos. One car car could be US spec with left-handed steering and the next could be a wagon destined for the UK with right-handed drive.

I'd recommend re-ordering, if you're dead set on getting the ZWP.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I made changes on my 328i two days before it went into production. I ordered it 04/06/07 (more likely a car that was already allotted to the dealership), was supposed to start production on 04/11/07 and I changed the trim on 04/09/07. Completed production on 04/17/07 & the change did go through b/c the 800# and OC have been updated with the revised trim and now the car is on a ship scheduled to be delivered to me mid May.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

You must not know the demand on the 335.

Yeah you changed a 328i not a 335i. The problem also is the 335i has crazy demand, so you brink you loose. Your 328 will just be changed so easily because they will just swap it with another car already on production schedule that has what you want. With 335, supply is tight and most of what they produce is already spoken for by a dealer or ED order. Dealer allotment for 335 is sometimes not even being filled. I am sure things will improve on the 335 in another year or so. Who wants to wait that long anyway? Take the car, enjoy and be happy. Don't sweat it.
      05-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #14
rc51
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Yeah you changed a 328i not a 335i. The problem also is the 335i has crazy demand, so you brink you loose. Your 328 will just be changed so easily because they will just swap it with another car already on production schedule that has what you want. With 335, supply is tight and most of what they produce is already spoken for by a dealer or ED order. Dealer allotment for 335 is sometimes not even being filled. I am sure things will improve on the 335 in another year or so. Who wants to wait that long anyway? Take the car, enjoy and be happy. Don't sweat it.
thanks everyone. I am going to ask my salesperson if we can cancel the order and re-order without losing my deposit. If not, then I will just ask for a free oil change at 2000 miles, and use the wife's minivan to transport bicycles!

i'm glad I joined this board.....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #15
dougman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328 --> 2010 E92 M3!

All coupes have folding rear seats. They fold 60/40.

However, the cold weather adds a center pass-thru. The only additional benefit is if you want to carry something long and skinny (i.e. skis) and keep the seats in place for potential occupancy.

Most people up here in NH (myself included) just order heated seats and blow off the rest of the cold weather package. I don't need the ski bag or the headlight washers.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 04:08 AM   #16
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougman View Post
All coupes have folding rear seats. They fold 60/40.

However, the cold weather adds a center pass-thru. The only additional benefit is if you want to carry something long and skinny (i.e. skis) and keep the seats in place for potential occupancy.
I believe he wanted a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #17
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Sorry to hear of your problems. I think this entire "ability to change your order" option creates more stress than it eases. All buying decisions should be made before placing the order. Changing options, trim colors, etc. in mid stream is a recipe for failure. Just my $.02
Appreciate 0