E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > E92 Production Delayed?

05-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #23
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
When you ordered it, the car was probably close to going into production, they just had to modify a existing order to your specifications. Thats why you only waited 8 weeks.
Exactly, I was lucky and just ordered my car last week. They had ONE allocation left from a someone canceling their order. So i took that spot and the car is suppose to go into production week 21. Should be here mid June.

Got the production number the same day btw.

So I think you are right, there isnt a delay in production just the dealers dont have enough allocations to fill the orders.
      05-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #24
Drew Mazurek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328Xi Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 328Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
So I think you are right, there isnt a delay in production just the dealers dont have enough allocations to fill the orders.
Seems so.

I ordered 3/26 after my dealer said he had a Week 18 slot. No production # given. Turns out he didn't (he says his allocation was less than he was told, who knows, probably just roped me in) Anyway, I now have a Production # (3636xxx) for a week 24 car Probably won't have it til 1st week of July. The wait will suck especially since I sold my 330Ci already and will be driving my truck ('96 Ranger) for 2 more months.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #25
klock379
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Does that mean the dealer is taking more orders than their alloted production quota?

But still, wouldn't that be on a first come first serve kinda arrangement. At the time when I order my car, the dealer should know how many allocations are left and based on that they can work out (roughly) the product and ultimately the delivery time frame by giving that allocation. As weeks and months go by, and as they sell more cars - consequently use up more allocations, then they will run into the (phantom?) problem of "production delay."

My order will only be "delayed" if either:

a) at the time of my ordering, the sales rep has no idea what is the production cycle, wait time and the number of allocations available to the dealer, or

b) may be the sales already knew about the shortage in their allocation but took my order any way but lied to me about delivery, or

c) whatever allocation that was originally reserved for me has been given to someone who ordered after me

A question though, once a product number is given, isn't that "order" is place in the queue, waiting to be processed and built? What is the link between the production number, the allocations and the order of production?

thx
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #26
Heli Animal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Cobra's (sold) - 335i Order

I ordered mine Feb 2nd and it's still not here.. suppose to be this week though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #27
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

As always, the squeaky wheel gets oil first. Don't want to shift the blame to you for the delay in delivery, but your laid back approach allowed the dealer to fill other customers needs before yours. I was relentless until I got my production #, even though the week of production was known at the time of order. Without that #, you're in limbo.
Appreciate 0